Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1

Default CP5700, Coolfix & Olymp TCON17

Hi All,
Firstly, all the parts arrived and last night I had my first play with my CP5700 fitted with Bernie's Coolfix 5700 adaptor, 62-55mm stepdown ring and an Olympus TCON17 1.7x telephoto lens. Big thanks to Bernie & CK whose advice and webpage made the process much easier.

My first impressions are:
1. It provides very crisp pictures, as good as I'd hoped.
2. It isn't as hard to manage as I first thought it might be (was wondering whether would need tripod every time use this much zoom, but leaning on fences, rails, benches etc works ok when feeling lazy or after a quick shot). Might tape some foam or something on the coolfix to make a softer spot to rest the lens on.
3. Walking around with a big zoom setup like this certainly catches people's eye, I can only wonder what some of them are thinking!

One question from the first session is that I tried putting the lens adaptor setting to telephoto. The manual is pretty brief, but all I saw was that this setting locks the lens to full zoom. I can't see what the point of this is then? Or is there something happening behind the scenes I didn't notice?

Anyway, all good and thought others would be interested to hear this weekend hack's report. I am really looking forward to this years motor sport season now, which starts in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:39 AM   #2

Default Re: CP5700, Coolfix & Olymp TCON17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Mo
One question from the first session is that I tried putting the lens adaptor setting to telephoto. The manual is pretty brief, but all I saw was that this setting locks the lens to full zoom. I can't see what the point of this is then? Or is there something happening behind the scenes I didn't notice?
congratulations for the new gadgets!

No, you don't have to set the camera to the telephoto setting. Just mount the Coolfix 5700, step-down ring, and the TCON-17, and use the lens as if it is not there. In fact, you can zoomed the lens back a little more than the Nikon TC-E15ED permits. I have a new pages (20+ days ago) "Other High Quality Telephoto Converter Lenses" in which you should find some related information.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:25 AM   #3

Paul

I have the same setup as you have described. I never set the tele to full zoom. I do like the pictures that the combination will produce. Congrats.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 6:32 PM   #4

OK, thanks for the responses. Just wondered if there was something else happening besides the zoom being locked with that option selected, but obviously not.

Yes, it does work brilliantly. Already downloaded and printed off your pages a while ago CK, too, good information.

I also bought a Hoya 62mm circular polarising filter and a Hoya UV clear filter. Both work well on the Coolfix, although I did notice some slight vignetting when looking at the images at home which I didn't notice through the LCD. I guess I should slide the coolfix back if I am taking wide angle shots to avoid this.
Anyway, can someone tell me what the white line on the rim of the circular polariser relates to, I presume its somehow related to the angle of polarisation as you rotate it?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote