Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5200

Hello Nikon fans,

I'm currently saving up for a Nikon D5200. At the moment I have a Kodak Z1012 is and an old Pentax 35mm that is my dads that I used a lot. Years ago my parents bought me a Tamron 80-210mm zoom lens for the Pentax because I enjoy taking distance shots and the zoom is great to have. My question is, will it fit on the Nikon D5200? My only worry is that the lens doesn't come with a VR stamp for vibration reduction. Shouldn't be too much of a problem using a tripod anyway. Will be a temp lens until I acquire VR ones, just curious if it fits is all I'm wanting to know.
Getting pretty serious with photography, doing a lot of nature photo-shoots with the Kodak, and Ive already got a friend who needs portrait photography in the near future, hence the need for a DSLR. I will defiantly get a few different lenses also, as I enjoy having a range of views to compensate for different images.
Here are a few images of the lens attached. Ignore the kodak
Pizza Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:00 AM   #2

After a lot of review reading, I'm going to get the D5300 instead. Better processor and the fact that it has no low pass filter. That's good for wanting to pick up more detail on distance shots. Surprised no one has commented on this post yet anyway, guessing nobody has done that combo of lenses yet, so I will test it out on the new Nikon, I'm sure it will fit, but the fact that the old lens has no AF motor in it, might make it incompatible...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:37 PM   #3

The Tamron won't fit "as is"- and would need an adapter for the Nikon F mount... and even then won't focus- or probably meter for that matter...!
It would be a fully manual lens with full manual adjustment required on the camera.

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:13 AM   #4

Thanks Simon, for the reply. I'll have to see what's out there, but probably not worth using, considering I would need an adapter. At the moment, I'm having a hard time finding a battery grip for the D5300, wondering if it's worth getting at all, if there isn't one for that camera...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:02 PM   #5

There are some non-Nikon grips available- though have a small lead from the grip to the USB port for functionality...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:32 PM   #6

Ya I've always wondered why there is a short cable to plug it in for function, surprised they didn't build something right into the battery port that would connect the grip too the camera and have it function that way. I've look at Big Mikes on Amazon for the power grips, and also Pro Master, might go with Pro Master, pretty sure that's where the best quality grip is at.