Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:58 AM   #1

Default FOCUSSING the 5700 ... gack!!

What is wrong with the focus on the 5700? This is the worst AF I have ever owned!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:47 AM   #2

What your problem Steves! We all know about the low light focusing problems.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:32 AM   #3

It is not just low light. The 5700 focuses SLOWLY all the time and in many situations I find manual focus to be faster.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:47 AM   #4

Im not sure what you mean. The manual focus is just awfull, hate it - but on my camera the focus seems alright. Ofcourse an old fox like you have tried continous autofocus right!
Maybe you should have your camera checked...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:00 AM   #5

It's a slower lens than most of other built-in digicam's lenses, at its longest zoom position, you will have some problem to deal with on the AF. Try to buy your camera with the maximum apeture no smaller than F 4.5. Within the F/3.5-4.5 range, the AF should works OK, the problem will starts when it get to F/5.6 and smaller (the larger number of the F stop represents the smaller openning of the lens).

If you buy an SLR digital camera such as the D100, you will have the flexible of using all the available lens, have you ever wonder why are the Nikon zoom lens with the constant aperture of F/2.8 so expensive? Cheers

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by [email protected]]

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:17 AM   #6

Default low light?

Tuan

You may be correct. The biggest problem is clearly when list is low, ergo large f-stop.

I wonder if there is nto also an issue of how the AF is set? If it were set to spot metering, I wonder if that would be faster? I have noted that AF is esp bad when taking a picture of an object in a homgenous background ... e.g. a flying bird or airplane.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:13 PM   #7

Steves

I've heard a lot of complaints about the AF issues in the 5700. I do not have the 5700, but I do want to find down what kind of AF sensor that buit-in the camera, is that a cross-type or is that something else. Usually the cross type work well under most situation, also when you look the the camera via the electronic view finder, can you locate that sensor on the view finder and use it to lock in to your subject, lock the focus and then reframe and take the picture? I don't have this problem with the 5k at all. That why I allways prefer the true SLR digtal camera, what you see through the view finder after you lock in the focus, is what you get (only with the one that have 100% coverage view finder) and the lag time of the shetter is at very minimum. Slower lens is always the main contribution on AF camera, to date, in my opinion, no camera MFG beats the Canon AF USM fast lenses on the EOS 1V (both film and digital)body in term of AF. Have you ever experience how fast AF on the Canon EF 50mm F 1.0?and the EOS 1V. I have only on word for it: outstanding...

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:01 PM   #8

Yes you can lock AF.

I assume the 500 and the 5700 use the same AF.

Again, the 5700 lens is as fast as the 500o.

The EVF on the 5700 is a true TTL viewfinder.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:40 PM   #9

Hi Steve,
It's not limited to the 5700, the 4500 autofocus in low light sucks loudly and it's also dog slow.

It's a shame that Nikon didn't provide a low light focus aid like Sony has on the F707. I'm working on a mount for a laser pen. The laser pens are inexpensive and can be found with replaceable "grid" patterns which diffuse the intensity a bit and lessen the coherency so that they are less apt to be damaging to one's eyes. They work quite well to get a focus lock, but then should be turned off for the shot. It greatly speeds up the focus operation because it gives a strong contrasting vertical line which the autofocus really loves. Stay tuned....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:50 PM   #10

Intriguing but ...
imagine doing this as a candid or in a lecture hall or shopping mall.

How do you spell terrorist?