Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 8700

My local store just got an 8700 in, and I decided to check it out. The first thing I noticed was how small it is. This might not be a big deal to those of you who have had digicams before, but this is my first foray into the area, having trusted my Nikon F3 w/80-200 zoom since forever.

At any rate, I was surprised that Nikon doesn't include any memory cards with the camera. The box had the usual: neck strap, battery, charger, et cetera. The features I was most concerned about were: resolution, ease of use, shutter lag, and the ability of these 50+ eyes to handle the myriad of little symbols, etc.

The camera seemed to focus quickly (under 3 seconds by my head count). I liked the EVF and found myself using it more than the external LCD probably because I'm used to looking through a viewfinder.

I was also concerned about the time it would take between shots, but that also wasn't a problem. Again, I figured something around 3 seconds.

Although there are more controls, pushbuttons, etc. than Contact has tiny time capsules, I figured that other than an occasional change, I'd be doing the majority of my shooting at max resolution (Fine in Nikon talk), not using the TIFF function (takes 16 secs to store a TIFF file), and would most likely keep the camera in full auto mode.

Because I couldn't print any of my test shots, I can't comment on noise or purple hazing, which I picked up is a problem on the new Canon Pro Shot S-1 (and which pretty much eliminates this camera as a possible choice for my first digital camera).

Having read the previews on the 8700, it's probably time to go back again and check out the camera with at least some idea as to what does what.

Rick
rabsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:06 PM   #2

Nice first impression. A few notes from a another person that converted from SLR.

That back display will seem unnatural at first but after a while it becomes really great. It is the single biggest reason I am having a hard time deciding between 8mp P/S and DSLR (D70).

Think of what you can aim at when you flip it out and can now save your 50 year old joints from crouching also holding it over a crowd and still aiming it is great. I had a recent water leak where I live and was able to put my camera in various tight spaces and fire some pictures to figure out where it was coming from.

I shoot models and now can actually see when the eye contact and facial expression is right because I can frame on the entire body and then move my gaze over to the face (off the display) and when the shot is right fire.

Another feature I never thought would be usefull that many of the P/S have is voice annotation. It is really great to put a short note on the first picture of set that you can retrieve later when editing.

Don't confuse the Canon Pro-1 with the Canon S1 they are vastly different beasts. The Pro-1 is more of the competition of for the 8700 and is doing pretty well for the pictures I've seen for resolution and purple fringing.

I hope Steve will review the Minolta A2 in soon so we can see how well it compares. IS is worth the $100 (IMHO).

Happy hunting...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:41 PM   #3

Default Nikon 8700

I hope when Steve is finished with his review of the Nikon 8700 he concludes the camera is as great as it looks, expecially color reproduction is good, little or no noise, and no purple fringing. I am seriously considering selling my Nikon D100 for the Nikon 8700, simply because the D100 is too heavy. I know it sounds crazy to downsize, but I don't think I would be giving up much.??? Where I live there are no camera stores to go look at the 8700, just have to go by what the reviews say.
konacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:16 PM   #4

Default Re: Nikon Coolpix 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsparks
the ability of these 50+ eyes
Rick
Oh my, he is an alien!!! He admits to having more than 50 eyes!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist :twisted: )
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 5:59 PM   #5

Spoken like a true 30 year old. Just wait. I vaguely remember having the same attitude way back then. LOL.

rick
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:21 AM   #6

I hope I did not offend you. I never meant to.

By the way, you guessed my age almost exactly. I'm 31. And at this age, I'm wise enough to know that your age is not very far away... again, I did not mean to poke fun of you.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:49 AM   #7

Please relax. I poke fun at myself too. But thank you for the post. I do let my "English" lapse when I'm on the Internet.

It is amazing, however, how your eyes change as you age. I've always been a bit near-sighted, but I hate the fact that I now have to wear magnifying glasses to read. This change in my eye sight affects several of my hobbies: photography and target shooting.

But that's life.

Regards,
rick
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

I think the 8700 is a nice step forward compared to the 5700. Has Assist Lamp, bigger screen, and bigger sensor. However for the price, the D70 is just the way to go. It's only a couple hundred bucks more, and there is no delay in shots, and it can do everything, including focus on sport activites or anything else that is moving a lot better than the 8700. The only reason why I can see one would want the 8700 is the size factor. Otherwise save your money and get the 5700 if you can't afford the D70.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:16 PM   #9

Default How to lose your mind quickly

I just got off the phone with Nikon re: 8700 vs. D70. It has taken me numerous emails (I finally gave up) and this half hour phone call to get the following information. Please don't tell me that I forgot something because the thought of going through their telephone response system again is not something I'm likely to do.

According to their tech support people, in spite of the larger CCD chip on the D70, the 8700's max. enlargement is 20 x 30 where the D70's max. enlargement is 16 x 20. My conclusion at the end of this portion of the call was that the 8700 will at least produce a comparable photographic enlargement to the D70 at the size that I'm going to use (8 x 10).

They call the 8700 the most sophisticated amateur camera in the product line whereas the D70 is a "basic professional camera". The 8700's ISO speeds range from 50-400, but the D70 can go as high as 1600.

The rep I spoke with did not have hands on experience with both cameras so I didn't hit him with questions about shooting sports or other subjects where the autofocus speed and zoom speed would be an issue.

The D70 is ready as soon as you turn the camera on, but the 8700 takes a few seconds to initialize. And when it comes to firing off multiple shots, the D70 can handle 144 frames at 3/sec in JPEG format whereas the 8700 can only handle 5 frames at 2.5 frames/sec or 12 frames at 1.2 frames/sec.

At the end of the conversation their rep asked, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" I said, "Sure. Make me a 16 x 20 print from each camera of the same subject at the same time with the same lighting and mail it to me." I don't think that's going to happen.

Although I'm interested in buying one of these cameras, the money is not quite yet burning a hole in my pocket. It may make sense to wait until the D70's released (no firm date given in my call, although I've heard elsewhere that it's scheduled to ship in limited quantities around 3/25) and see what the reviewers say. The only problem is that it's unlikely that anyone will do a side-by-side comparison because the cameras are in two different "classes".

rick
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:27 PM   #10

Very interesting thread :shock: I too had looked at the D70 very closely. There is one review on line so far which I studied closely.

D70 advantages I see are the following:
1. Can take more pictures in the same time frame.
2. No delay in turning on.
3. Interchangeable lenses.
4. Better at taking action shots.
5. More ISO speeds to choose from

8700 advantages I see are the following:
1. Much smaller camera
2. You can blow up a picture to 20 x 30 compared to 16 x 20 on the D70.

For me, there is only one clear choice, the D70, in it's price range. I choose to save some money and bought the 5700 which I love! :P
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote