Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 10, 2004, 5:21 AM   #1

Default Anybody interested in Nikon Coolpix 3700 Review ??

I bought me a 3700 yesterday. My first impressions reach from ugly to fantastic.

If someones interested in a review pls let me know.
My english is bad - sorry for that.
If there're special things you're interested in (e.g. movie mode), let me know.
[)(]DD-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 4:37 PM   #2

hello
Can you tell us if you can rotate images while viewing on a television (AV out)?
Ok for a review! most of all:general speed (on -off),shutter lag,etc..
thanks.
phil

(ps: why ugly to fantastic!!??)
phil hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 6:12 AM   #3

Hi, I think it'll still take a day or two till my review is ready.

ugly > noise at iso100+, heavy distortion at wide angle
fantastic > small, long lasting battery (+180pics), great macro mode
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:48 AM   #4

Hello,
I have the 3700 and like it a lot. Yes, you can rotate images while viewing them on a TV. You can also switch to photo mode and shoot pictures while the TV displays what you are shooting. The TV takes the place of the LCD screen. My 2 year old gets a kick out of it, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Some things to note about this awesome, but somewhat limited camera. 1) No manual control of ISO, aperature or shutter speed. - however, there are 15 scene modes and it is not too often that the ISO is boosted to a really noisy level (I have not noticed noisy 100 ISO shots.) I do question what happens when you want to take a low-light shot w/o flash and use a tripod - don't know if ISO would still be boosted. I assume it would, except for if you use the night portrait or night landscape mode, which presumably are designed to take the best, least noisy shot.
2) Movie mode is fantastic, but there is a voice synch problem I have noticed on hi-res 30 fps. Not all the time, but sometimes the voice is choppy. Video, however is great, and even under indoor lighting. Also, make sure you get an SD card w/ 10 mb/sec transfer rate, or the movie will cut out at 40-100 secs, instead of running until the card is full. Panasonic 256 works, dane-elec cuts out. Overall, a great camera! Good Luck.
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:56 AM   #5

thank you both guys for the answers!! :idea:
I think I'll buy the 3700 this week end!!
bye

(ps: and here it comes with Adobe Photoshop elements 2 !)
phil hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:16 AM   #6

I think you will enjoy it. Regarding your specific questions on speed --I don't have a lot to compare to, but it powers up quick enough, and shutter lag hasn't been a problem for me. I think most point and shoot digitals take some getting used to over a film point and shoot. I have an olympus superzoom 120 which took the place (most of the time) of my Minolta SLR. The olympus film is super fast and easy. The 3700 is a bit slower on the time to focus, take the shot, and be ready for the next, and sometimes AF doesn't lock nice and reliably like my Olympus film camera, but I think that that is a drawback in any digi point and shoot. The bennefits of the 3700 overall far outweigh my film cameras right now (but I won't get rid of them, ever!) BTW, my Olympus has a 4-shot burst mode that I thought was impressive. My 3700 beats it, plus the 3700 can do those 3 or 5 shot bursts at 1/3000 sec if the lighting is adequate (I don't remember my shutter speed on the Olympus -probably comperable, though). A lot of digi point and shoots have shutter speeds of 1/2000 or 1/2500 at best. This camera should be great for fast action, like capturing a winning soccer goal. Enjoy and let us know what you think once you've played with it, eh?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:25 PM   #7

Alph seeker - how do you do a 5 shot burst??
And also is there any way of always doing a 1/3000 shot?
I have the 3700 also and have found it to be fantastic. Movie mode is awesome and I haven't noticed any synch/voice issues and i have taken heaps of movies. Shots are generally very clear and colours are fantastic. I have used it for many sport related activities and generally speaking shots are clear and colours are fantastic. Voice notes are cool, panorama assist is cool, TV AV hookup is simply awesome, macro mode is choice and most of the scene modes are quite usefull and take good shot. I have used the night landscape mode and definitly believe this to take the best night shots. If on the LCD you get the ISO warning shots will be somewhat noisy. In a nutshell though while shooting if you get the green light on the LCD, no ISO warnings, or handshake warnings you will be satisfied with almost every shot. Feel free to ask any more questions.
boics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:56 AM   #8

Hi boics,
By burst, I mean the continuous shooting mode, 5 shot. As you may know, you can choose between 3 and 5 sucessive shots. The 3 shot mode is fastest, while 5 is a bit slower. Flash is turned off, so it is only for outdoors.
As to shutter speed, no, there is no way I know of to always shoot at 1/3000. The shutter specs go that high, and I am assuming that when there is enough light, the camera will use the 1/3000 speed - probably best to use sports mode, but it may go that fast under 3-shot burst as well. Best way to tell would be to experiment under varying conditions, using various modes and see what the data says for shutter speed.
Interesting that you don't have the voice problem in movie mode. I returned my dane-elec card because of that file problem, and now have a panasonic. Movie will fill the card, but the voice synch problem extists. Wonder if my camera is defective. Perhaps I'll call Nikon. Before buying, I asked them about the voice synch problem (Steve's review notes it), and they did not know of any such problem. Hmm..
To all: I'd second boic's praises of the 3700's versatility and performance - this is one nice camera!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:06 PM   #9

Default Review is on its way

I think my review will be ready tomorrow.
I've made alot of sample pictures for you guys.
Most of them have been made outdoors, i think this is quite more important than the indoor performance, which typically isn't really good with extreme compact cameras.

I've also made several videos in 640x480, which I will provide for download on demand (because of the traffic).

BTW: I didn't notice any a/v desync. Perhaps this is due to the fast SD Card (SanDisk Ultra II) I use ?!
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:55 PM   #10

I would still be interested in seeing your review [)(]DD-X ???
And thanks for the reply alph seeker.
boics is offline   Reply With Quote