Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 25, 2002, 12:09 AM   #1

Default External flash for 5700

On my CoolPix 990 I used the Vivitar 840AFNi with great results. I connected it using Nikon's AS-E900 shoe/cable adaptor.

The Vivitar doesn't seem to work with the 5700 when attached to the shoe. The camera knows that it is attached, but won't fire it. What are other people using?

I like the Vivitar because it uses AA batteries, whereas the Nikon 50DX uses CR 123 non-rechargable lithium batteries. If I need to switch to the 50DX, is there a rechargable battery that will work in it? Or is another model more highly recommended?

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:09 AM   #2
NHL

Have you check over here? We all basically had the same problem with the pre-flash, and with this one you can get by with your camera without having to use a sync cord...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...2002.html#wein

[Edited on 8-25-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:44 AM   #3

NHL,

Thanks for the links, I had not read that discussion in the external flash forum or followed up on the Wein products announcement. But, ..., I am really looking for a simpler solution.

CoolPixes don't take full advantage of Nikon flashes, but at least they automatically adjust for exposure. The solutions in the flash forum talk about manual exposure control. This is OK for a studio setting, but not good for candid pictures.

The Wein products look interesting, but I don't understand the details of flash technology well enough to figure out what would work for me. I'd have to do some studying.

But rather than buying other add ons to make my Vivitar work, wouldn't it be simpler and not much more expensive to buy a Nikon flash?

I'm asking for opinions and ideas here. Does anyone else have a comment or suggestion?

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote