Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:58 PM   #11

I have yet to find any problems with my 5700 in taking photos outside, or in. As long as there is a light in the room, there is no problems with the low light issue. Maybe when all the lights are out and you have a birthday cake with candles.

Before I bought the camera, I went to the photo store in a area that was not that bright. I was able to focus quickly on subjects and then decided this low light issue is only relating to situations when there is no light in a room Even with just a 25 watt bulb in a big room, I had no problems. I was also able to take pictures in NYC at night as well.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:51 PM   #12

hi blueberry and all.
I'm one of those who took advantage of the rebate etc and got a 5700 for $600. I also read (for months) internet forums on which camera to get. The zoom was my priority, the size because it's not a full blown SLR and it's not a pocket camera) sold me as well as the fantastic pictures I've seen from this forum and others.
I will report this; if you turn off the flash you will wait for it to focus. Most of the time it will focus and you'll get a great shot. I took pictures of my fish in the aquarium and those buggers wouldn't stand still and pose - but the zoom (and digital zoom) took pictures that showed their sparkling scales!! sheesh, that's a first for me. Fantastic pictures; bottom line.
I took it to a club and found out that by turning off the flash, setting it to fast shooting (forget which menu right now) that I could take absolutely stunning photos in reds/yellows that came from the camera deciding what exposure/shutter to use in the light of the band's spotlights. I was at my computer exclaiming WOW nearly every shot. Hey, I'm good. ( ha ha)

anyway, the camera takes great photos. It's lense isn't fast. If you want to spend $500-600 at this point, get it!

good luck!
CC

coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:49 PM   #13

Default Ordered the 5700...Got It Today...Very Impressed!

My 5700 was delived this morning.
Very happy with it so far.
The 8x is as sharp as I had hoped for, even hand held in low light.
On the tripod it's just great!
Aslo tried some shots in an almost totally dark room with no auto focus problems.
Color rendition to my eye is super.
Was able to create some noise at higher ISO, but it's livable.
I did only print in 8 x 10 though with just a little cropping done
Quite a step up from my trusty CP 3100, which will still get lots of use as I feel it's also a great cam for it's intended purpose.
I relied mostly on this board for info as none of my local shops had 5700's on display any longer.
Ended up paying $515 incl. delivery after the reabte.
I'm comfortable that I got the features and quality I wanted in a
cam that I could afford.
Much reading and learning to do, but with this cam it will be fun.
To Steve and all of the forum members, thanks for the great info
provided here.

'Carper
Carper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:17 PM   #14

Default Re: Ordered the 5700...Got It Today...Very Impressed!

Mine came yesterday and I am very happy with the image quality The controls are a little complicated compared to my Fuji FinePix S5000. If I could combine the PQ and a few settings of the 5700 with the feel and layout of the S5000 it would be a perfect camera 8)

Did you get your 5700 from BUYDIG.com? I got mine from there for $515 after rebate as well. I must say they didn't try to sell me anything else like some other places I have called. I don't go for the hardsell approach.

Anyway I do like this camera so far!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carper
My 5700 was delived this morning.
Very happy with it so far.
The 8x is as sharp as I had hoped for, even hand held in low light.
On the tripod it's just great!
Aslo tried some shots in an almost totally dark room with no auto focus problems.
Color rendition to my eye is super.
Was able to create some noise at higher ISO, but it's livable.
I did only print in 8 x 10 though with just a little cropping done
Quite a step up from my trusty CP 3100, which will still get lots of use as I feel it's also a great cam for it's intended purpose.
I relied mostly on this board for info as none of my local shops had 5700's on display any longer.
Ended up paying $515 incl. delivery after the reabte.
I'm comfortable that I got the features and quality I wanted in a
cam that I could afford.
Much reading and learning to do, but with this cam it will be fun.
To Steve and all of the forum members, thanks for the great info
provided here.

'Carper
Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:10 AM   #15

Yes I got mine from there also.
I placed the order by phone and they just asked if
I had a CF and another mild closing pitch, was no real bother.
Carper is offline   Reply With Quote