Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1
Frs

Default Nikon 8700 vs 5700

Hello all!
Aside from the obvious 3 mega-pixel difference, is it too soon to come up with the major differences between these two models (the 8700 will be available in Montreal the third week of March)? Is it worth it to pony up some more $ in order to get the 8700? Many thanks for your replies, François (upgrading from a legendary F2!)
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:25 PM   #2

I weighed the differences which you can see at Nikonusa.com. The assist lamp is nice, and a larger screen but they have a $150 rebate on the 5700 right now as well. My 5700 cost less than $600 at a authorized Nikon dealer.

The 5700 takes awesome pictures, and with a 40x memory card and quick response on, I do not have one complaint about the camera. If you have the extra money go for the 8700, but for me the savings in my wallet is very nice indeed, and I don't need a 8 mega pix camera for 4 x 6's and viewing on my TV or computer monitor.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
If you have the extra money go for the 8700, but for me the savings in my wallet is very nice indeed, and I don't need a 8 mega pix camera for 4 x 6's and viewing on my TV or computer monitor.
LOL. For 4x6's and TV/monitor viewing you probably don't even need to spend $600 on a Nikon 5700. For that you can get away with a decent 3MP camera (save even more $$$)
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:51 PM   #4

True, but the 5700 has the great zoom lens, and the option to use an external flash.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:31 AM   #5

Default Nikon 5700 vs. 8700

The major reason I would go for the 8700 is the AF assist lamp. If you take lots of restaurant / banquet / church gathering pics the AF assist lamp will help. Keep in mind that the 5700 (and 8700 also) will not take advantage of the AF assist beam on the external Nikon speedlights.
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 8:10 PM   #6

Also keep in mind the built in flash does not help after 12 feet. So if you are doing banquets and other things like that, the assit lamp may be not too helpful with a flash that is not strong enough. You most likely should get a external flash anyhow.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:55 PM   #7

I coveted the 5700 since its release, but could not bring myself to buy one due to the poor low light focus issue. I borrowed one for a day, tried my best to overlook this failing, but in the end, it was too much to bear. I have had the 8700 for a few weeks and I can say that I am glad I held out. What would have been impossible on the 5700 is now a pleasure. I know that the folks using the 5700 have gotten used to this shortcoming and I congratulate them. They do a great job and I have seen many wonderful pictures, but as a new buyer, with a choice, buy the better unit. I realize ther is a big cost difference, but that hurts only once (when you pay for it). The inability to focus in low light will hurt every time you miss a shot.
mjo1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjo1951
I coveted the 5700 since its release, but could not bring myself to buy one due to the poor low light focus issue. I borrowed one for a day, tried my best to overlook this failing, but in the end, it was too much to bear. I have had the 8700 for a few weeks and I can say that I am glad I held out. What would have been impossible on the 5700 is now a pleasure. I know that the folks using the 5700 have gotten used to this shortcoming and I congratulate them. They do a great job and I have seen many wonderful pictures, but as a new buyer, with a choice, buy the better unit. I realize ther is a big cost difference, but that hurts only once (when you pay for it). The inability to focus in low light will hurt every time you miss a shot.
Hello,
I'm a Nikon 3100 first time digital owner for about 9 months now.
I bought the 3100 for vacation photos and have since got kind of
hooked on digital. Spending hours *over editing* my shots on the computer
I'm now shooting mostly outdoors in daylight and a bit of forest nature in macro.
The lack of a more powerful zoom and manual settings that I can
"grow into" has got me thinking of moving up to that "all that I will ever need cam" ...lol..I know!...but in my case that will pretty much have to be a real fact for a long long time.
I've starting doing my research albeit at a slow pace.
Have been reading this fine board and others hoping to find my own answers.
But with the current rebate on the 5700, which means that I could get the camera for about $525 net from a reliable dealer. I'm feeling the rebate clock ticking and wondering whether to act on impulse. I simply don't have much more than $500 that I can spend
and that's what has kept me out of the market.
Being that there is a rebate and that I already have ample CF cards,
I'm thinking that this may be my chance to get a quality camera that's within my limited budget.
The comments I've read about low light problems have got me scared. I know it's a stupid newbie question but would you mind
telling me if shots in heavily forest shade will be a problem for me.
And generally where I can expect encounter such problems.
I will do very little indoor flash work.
Just can't decide to act now or find an excuse to wait :?: .
But it would really be great to have a more dynamic camera to
learn to use this summer 8)

Thanks for any advice you may care to offer,
Carper
Carper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:48 PM   #9

Default Not a "stupid Newbie question"

You have now been bitten by the digital photo bug and you will forever be looking for your next camera. Even knowing that you will not be making a purchase, you will begin doing research. It happens to a lot of us.
As for the decision to spend the money now or wait. If you are sure you can live with the shortcomings of the 5700, it may be a good purchase. On the other hand, there is a reason that the rebate is being offered-and it is not due to high demand. You know how much you can spend and you know your shooting preferences. The ball is in your court-Pass or Shoot-it's March Madness
Time!
mjo1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:15 PM   #10

Default Re: Not a "stupid Newbie question"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjo1951
. If you are sure you can live with the shortcomings of the 5700, it may be a good purchase.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I guess what I'm trying to gauge is whether and/or how much those shortcomings would effect the type of shooting I will be doing.
Thats where I'm now banging my head.
No banquet halls and very few museum flash shots in the plan.
But I would like to do a little dawn/dusk work. So I may be answering my own question...not sure.
Trying to imagine where I may find problems and decide now if they'd be livable as a trade off against another cam at this dollar point .
Such fun :roll: :roll:

Thanks Again,
Carper
Carper is offline   Reply With Quote