Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Minolta DiMAGE A1 or Nikon coolpix 5700

Hi I am currently looking for a new camera. I currently have the Sony F828, but I am getting tied of the mooch noise and the purple fringing problem, there fore I am looking for a camera that donít have these problems (witch should be a problem with the 8m pixels chip). My request I a camera with CF flash card, and big zoom lens, flip screen, and aluminium design. After reading some reviews I have come to the conclusion that the choice is be twin the Minolta DiMAGE A1 or the Nikon coolpix 5700.

Both wary nice cameras, with reasonably noise and low purple fringing, the Nikon is a bit cheaper than the Minolta, but does also have a smaller screen, no manual zoom ring, no anti shake, and quite poor battery life.

Witch one should I chose, it would be nice to hear from some owners of these cameras, and if anyone have had some problems with one of the cameras (or both for that matter). What Is good, and what Is bad ect. Experience with the cameras, and recommendation and so on . Thanks.
wils4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2
NHL

For one do you plan to use the RAW mode? If you do then the A1 is your only choice since it can buffer up to 5 consecutive raw shots while you keep on shooting... without locking up.

Secondly try both camera at the store... You'll find that the A1 has one of the fastest AF around with this type of camera, also make sure to test this AF in a dim environment like with your Sony.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
For one do you plan to use the RAW mode? If you do then the A1 is your only choice since it can buffer up to 5 consecutive raw shots while you keep on shooting... without locking up.

Secondly try both camera at the store... You'll find that the A1 has one of the fastest AF around with this type of camera, also make sure to test this AF in a dim environment like with your Sony.
I don't have any plans to use RAW, have never used it in my current model, or in previous models (I had a Canon EOS 300D before (in US called Digital Rebel)). So I will be using .jpg. I use my camera most for macro pictures, of products ect. but also use it for every day pictures, so it has to be a all round, for good macro, good and fast AF, good outdoor (with precise auto white balance).

I am thinking about buying them both, because here in Denmark where I live, we have 14 days money back, even if the product have been used. It is always a good thing to try it in the right conditions, and not in a store, where I can not try the camera 100%.

I am almost 90% sure, that it will be the Minolte, it just have the few more features I like (manual zoom rings, when you first is used to it, there is no way back ).

I have though read in this forum, that the Minolta have some problems with "flicker", hmm I must admit that I don't know what that means, but is that a problem, and what is it ?
wils4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:14 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils4all
I don't have any plans to use RAW, have never used it in my current model, or in previous models (I had a Canon EOS 300D before (in US called Digital Rebel)). So I will be using .jpg. I use my camera most for macro pictures, of products ect. but also use it for every day pictures, so it has to be a all round, for good macro, good and fast AF, good outdoor (with precise auto white balance).
For macro, IMO the 5700 is better. With the A1 you can't get as close but its macro can be set at the tele position so you can go easy on the lighting...

Quote:
I am almost 90% sure, that it will be the Minolte, it just have the few more features I like (manual zoom rings, when you first is used to it, there is no way back).
You should try the A1's DMF (ie Direct Manual Focusing) overide... Have you ever try to manual focus on the 5700? ops:

Quote:
I have though read in this forum, that the Minolta have some problems with "flicker", hmm I must admit that I don't know what that means, but is that a problem, and what is it ?
You'll get this effect in any camera with an EVF. ie it's like a video camera when you pan fast the video picture can't update fast enough. You can see this effect more on the A1 because in extreme darkness its EVF is boosted up and turn to Black and White rather than just showing you a dim display instead.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:22 PM   #5

Normally their may be some flicker in the EVF - but in my case - I was getting horizontal bands of color distortion in a flicker which actually showed up in catpured images - image quality was so poor due to these bands the camera was unusable. The bands varied in thickness and occurance with each picture I took. After returning my A1 TWICE minolta fixed the problem. I reported this problem a couple of times in the forum - no one else reports having had it so perhaps this was a fluke with a faulty part on my camera and not a problem that would occur frequently if you went with the A1. I have to admit - I'm happy with all the A1 features before and after the error occured. The Anti-Shake alone is reason to buy the A1 over the 5700. But the fact I needed to return the camera TWICE to get it repaired will make me think twice before buying from Minolta again. ALso, I never was able to obtain a full explaination of what they fixed which makes me weary that the problem will re-occur. On the other hand, my 4+ year old Nikon Coolpix 800 is now a toy for my 6 year old and it is still working great. The Nikon camera travelled the world with me - I once dropped it from a 6 foot height and only had to replace the battery compartment cover and I was back in action.[/url]
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:42 PM   #6

I think both cameras are great, but the special lens on the 5700 helps stop the purple fringe the best. Plus the quality of the pictures for me is better, and it has a better zoom.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote