Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:07 AM   #11

i reference to the battery dilemma

if you drain your all your en batterys in a day of shooting carnage and you don't have the external BP and you found that one shot you need just look at it and remember the 7i can use 4 regular aa batts in a pinch. just go over and pick up a set in any local store, load and shoot at least 10-20 shots before the little vampire sucks them dry.
basically- the cost structure to guarentee quality power on a 5700 is substantially higher than a d7i. at $35 a en battery plus the price of the external backup battery case thats about 4 sets of nimh batts or more.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:20 AM   #12

Before going overboard on the batery issue, the 5700 DOES offer you a choice since there are several ways you can use AAs.

As for the choice of pushbuton vs ring, I think the advantage of the ring iis obvious. EVEN if the pushbutton were a good idea, it should be a lot easier to use ... not requiring finding the ^&&*$ button and then twirling the knob.

BTW I did not xlate .. Babylon did. Does anyone know whjether Oly is realy promising a digi SLR? They are the one with the tradition and if they do it, they could wallop every one else without the courager to go this far.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:24 AM   #13

Default battery pack

I agree the battery pack is expensive. I paid $149 for it, but it balances out the camera real well ... adds an addtional shutter release button for portraits/zoom, and with 6 AA NiMH batteries (I have powerex 1800 mAh) I have been using them on the initial charge for over a week and they still show full. I now have 10,800 mAh versus the 680 of the standard battery, plus I keep 6 rechargeable alkalines (these are not very good for digital cameras, but alkalines don't lose any charge when stored for long periods of time) in my bag for emergencies.
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:29 AM   #14

Let me address the EN battery cost...

Actually, I was really happy with the fact that the 5700 used something other than the AA option as the standard power option. Yes, the 5700 sucks the life out of those EN batteries, but they also charge quicker (my opinion) than the AA rechargeables.

And you can get them for less than the $35 quoted by SJMS (I got mine online for about $20 each), so it not quite as costly as is often thought. I actually bought a few, hoarding two charged ones in my pocket while using the third, and lock & load as necessary.
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:09 PM   #15

ok i reduce the $35 but you still have a over cost of ownership higher and a total reliance on nikon product. you purchase 3 en batts at 20= 60 you then purchase a grip at 150+60= $210 to guarentee quality power when out in field extended without a extension cord. and you haven't walked out the door after $1000+ for the camera. no auto strobe system available thats fully useable either.
the vert button is cool though

Steves- i do believe the proper explicative is: $%@#& for the button finding exercise. i like your style.

from an asthetics point as a 7i owner i feel it is an ugly camera that feels good. sort of reminds me of a coke can laying on its side with a handle/lens built on. but then again i like coke.

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:19 PM   #16

sjms, I guess I'm just a cheapo -- no grip/auxilary power packs for me! But then again, I'm not even a *good* amateur photographer, much less a semi-pro, so for me the idea of getting the external power source seemed over the top. It takes me about 4 hours of shooting to exhaust 3 batteries, and let me tell you, after 4 hours, I'm tired, and I wouldn't care if Sasquatch came prancing out of the woods for a portrait shot.

My personal opinion, after playing with my darling Coolpix for about a month now, is that it's a very good camera, even though it's considered pricey (firmware, power, etc.). I enjoy it, and by the time I master all the gizmos on it, including taking killer shots with all the manual controls available, the digital SLRs will have crawled out of their infant diapers and be really, REALLY cool.

Like most, I just wish it had a focus ring, but unlike most, the teeny-tiny buttons are sized perfectly for my bity fingers.
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:29 PM   #17

lets face it for the both of us. by the time we master the current crop of digitoys we have, the new ones will be peeking around the corner to entice and empty our wallets.
i wanted something that felt like my slr while these little buggers were still in there infancy. i like it that way. familiar

someday we'll be standing next to each other taking the same picture. mine will be a little wider yours will be a little closer. but we're both smiling because we shot what we wanted. and both cameras deliverd what we asked them to.

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:48 PM   #18

Default Crowmama

I am a "extremely amateur photographer". But, I do enjoy learning and practicing with my CP5700. I was wondering if you remember the website where you found the $20.00 batteries for it.

Note - Sometimes I wonder when newbie's" read this forum would they reconsider ever purchasing a digital camera to begin with? So much criticism.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 1:02 PM   #19

not crit but healthy debate. this is the way to find out what is really going on. of course it must be filtered by you.

if you just read the marketing and ad stuff along with sales people its all true with a major helping of sugar and hype on top. they tell you what it does and skips all of what it can't.

as you can see there are subtle differences that won't affect some users but weigh heavily with others. these forums are where you find that info out.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 2:16 PM   #20
NHL

Let put things in perpective here: $20 may be cheap to Nikon standard, but that still alwost twice the price of AA NiMh, and only 1/2 the power! So in actual use the NiMh is 4 times as cost effective as the EN-EL1...

Fast charger can also charge NiMh for an hour or less, and not taking the new C3 from Rayovac that'll have even more power and can be charged in 15 minutes or less!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote