Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:27 PM   #31

Default Only in a perfect world

Quote:
NHL wrote:
You must have a very innovative way of measuring power and you should patent it. The last time I check, it's still V x I hence:
NiMh: 4.8V x 1700mAh = 8160mVAh for $11.99 at Walmart vs
LiIon:7.2V x 650mAh = 4680mVAh for $24.99 at Citywide Digital
I never intended to refute Ohms Law.
I merely stated that MAH isn't everything, and despite you getting butt-hurt over it and sending me to rayovac's site, it's still the truth. Capacity is only a small piece of the pie.
How nice it would be if everything in our world was as simple 1+2=3.
Batteries have a multitude of variances; discharge rate (energy dump), discharge curve, internal resistance, etc...
Not only do batteries and discharge rates vary greatly from type to type (Li, Nimh, NiCad) but also from manufacturer to manufacturer.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:01 AM   #32
NHL

I also agree with you: One would be seriously handicapped by AA to sub-C batteries capacity based on rating alone (my planes are gas powered, but I do have a few 4WD RC buggies that are electric) or some optimistic manufacturers. The fact of the matter is LiIon cost more, and the EN-EL1 does last less even when one compares the dpreview results with only 1600mAh NiMh (and Phil doesn't hide the fact he's a Nikon fan either when he torpedoed the original D7). The Rayovac link just gives an idea of why a manufacturer should not lock customers to a battery type, but should give them the ability to upgrade when newer developments become available (standard 1850mAh NiMh or more for example)

One should not have to buy a $150 accessory to get the luxury of becoming independent when the 5700 itself already cost more than anything else with comparable (or even more) features... They even force everyone to buy an adapter for what should be a standard filter mount!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:34 AM   #33

I don't know if it's productive to continue debating which is "better": the 5700 or the D100 (or any other digital SLR). It's like comparing a cat and a dog: both make great pets, but there are "cat" people, and there are "dog" people. Why? Different behaviors and needs based on the type of pet.

The 5700 is great for folks coming into photography from a point-n-shoot background (like me!). I didn't want to carry filters, lenses, tripods, and all the accessories that a SLR camera body requires. What I wanted was the option of manual controls when I chose, yet the convenience of a monster point-n-shoot.

Now, the D100 and other SLR bodies are awesome for folks who have the skill and the desire for ultimate control of the shot. You folks frighten me a little with how precise you can be with your fstops and such, and the amount of effort you're willing to put in to get those incredible photos. Not my cup of tea, but man, my hat goes off to you!

Just my 2 cents...
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:25 AM   #34

Jeeez............

I am pretty critical of the 5700 BUT this is silly.

Accessrize? Pardon moi but what accessories? Other than batteries and a $35 or $2 filter adapter????
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:28 AM   #35

your right. i retract everything i posted on the last 2 posts. it is removed.

But it's not about which is better. it's about design criteria. nikon could have done a lot better. being a nikon product owner (a number of them)it turned into a dissapointment and made me search elsewhere. i think thats a bit of it.
putting a peanut strobe on it with a hot shoe and then not offering a fully compatible external unit at time of availability was plain dumb. its like a tease. it is a great camera just like others. i just feel it is more incomplete in its execution than others in its design/price class. that bothers me from them. especially after the 950 990 995 strobe issues.

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:57 AM   #36

crowmama

i apologize to you too.

just one thing though. 95% of the slrs and dslrs today are set and shot in P for program mode just like our digicams. take a look around when shooting with others around with cameras youl'll see. i only get into it with my f stops and shutter speeds when i have time and peace to do so. that is a precious commodity today for me.

you will find a circular polarizor to be very useful many times.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:08 PM   #37

sjms -- no apology needed! Didn't someone say earlier in this thread (or was it another... oh hell, I can't remember!) that the purpose of these boards is to get honest debate about the products, and not to swallow whosesale the snake oil that the manufacturers are peddling?

I'm learning alot from everyone's opinions, data, and commentary, yes even from you, too!

If were all cute & fuzzy on these boards, we'll end up like a bunch of yesmen. Yes?
crowmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:12 PM   #38

you got crowmama!

i think that was me who said it back on page 1

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 7, 2002, 9:00 PM   #39

Just preordered the D7Hi will let you know what i think in bout 3 weeks, I hope.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote