Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:31 PM   #1

Default How do Coolpix 950/990/995 compare ???

I am looking to obtain a used Coolpix as a second camera and I wonder how the 950/990/995 models compare in day-to-day use? I want to obtain one of these units because of the nice small diameter lens -- because I intend to use it primarily with microscopes and telescopes. Can anyone please tell me, other than the slight variation in photo resolution, are there any significant feature differences that make any of these cameras more annoying to use than the others? Thanks!
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:39 PM   #2

My first serious Digital camera was the Nikon 950 and I really loved it, but for much of my work the 2 mega pixel was just not enough, so I traded it in for a CP995 when they first came on the market.
I recently purchased a used 990 as a backup unit for my work as I have a number of the Nikon accessories. The Nikon swivel body design is in my opinion a really great feature that is especially useful when attaching the camera to microscopes, telescopes etc as well as for nornal use. There are a number of adapters and accessory lens on the market new and used that will extend the use of these cameras. I would strongly recommend purchasing the MC-EU1 remote control if you are going to use the camera with a telescope. My choice would be the 990 or 995 for the higher resolution.
The 990 & 995 are widely available on Ebay at quite reasonable prices

Hope this helps you.
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:01 PM   #3

Thank you. I am zeroing in on the 990. I was told the 950 actually has some advantages relative to some tiny lens effects but overall the 990 seems to be the most beloved of the series. I just wish I could buy a used remote as well as a used camera.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:36 PM   #4
Administrator

True to my old nickname (Mr Nikon), I still own a 950, a Millenium Edition 950 I might add. I didn't buy it when it first came out as I thought $2000 was a bit steep even if Nikon was donating a good portion of it to a charitable organization.

I also have a 990 and a 4500. I recently sold my 995 after having used it for a good number of the camera reviews that were put online in 2002. I upgraded to the 4500 for a little more resolution.

I still like to pull out the "cool blue" 8) Millenium 950 and show it off but it is so slow in actual operation it's hard to believe that it used to be "one of the best" digicams available.

I'd have to agree that the 990 is my personal favorite from the Coolpix swiveling series. It just feels so nice in your hand and Nikon really beefed up the swivel on the 990 after some problems with the early 950's coming apart - literally. What made me mad was that Nikon started a new color scheme and the U.S. models of the 990 had this sissy-looking purple colored grip strip :x

To me a Nikon camera is supposed to be black-n-red. The black-n-red colored 990's were sold in Europe though. I finally acquired a Euro-990 from a fellow in the U.K. -- now I was a happy camper :P

The 995 is a great camera and Nikon listened to several years of complaints about flash red-eye problems with the other Coolpix cameras and put the flash on a popup arm. This unfortunately also gave the 995 a "pregnant" look and feel as it really made the lens half way too fat :shock:

The 4500 took all the good points from the 995 and managed to squeeze it into a much slimmer case but they also used a smaller LCD, did away with the status LCD on the top and began using a joystick instead of a bigger 4-way selector. I didn't much care for any of the reduced-size features and it's a shame that this is the "last" of its kind for the Coolpix swivelers.

The one thing that I really disliked was Nikon going to the proprietary Li-ion battery pack with the 995 and 4500. It was really nice to be able to use the 4xAA batteries in the other cameras. I like Li-ion packs but the EN-EL1 is especially anemic and didn't deliver the same runtime as four healthy NiMH type AA batteries.

Oh well, so much for Nikon Coolpix History 101 ... thanks for listening to my ramblings :roll:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:53 PM   #5
NHL

I have to agree with Steve... Unlike most newer digicams you do not need to plan-ahead before each use with camera sporting AA batteries...

My 990 do not get much use lately, but when it does it's so nice to be able to pop in a few NiMh an be ready in an instant. Thinking about having to recharge the battery first just take out the spontaneity...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 3:35 AM   #6

Thanks Steve, for the nifty picturesque review, I think a 990 is the one for me, along with a refurbished remote ($70 ouch) and an AC power supply. Everyone seems to swear by them (rather than at them) and units in nice condition are easy to find on ebay.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:50 AM   #7

I see you can buy a serial cable or a USB cable for the 990. Does anyone use cables with this camera? In fact is there anything that came originally in the box with this camera that is needed? Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 5:39 AM   #8
NHL

The 990 came with the USB cable, the serial cable is an option that you purchase separately. Most people including myself will use a card reader... It's faster and doesn't require the camera to be tethered to the computer and or an AC adapter, since you don't want to download too long on battery power.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote