Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 27, 2002, 4:52 PM   #1

Default How to build a better ring flash ?

I've seen pictures taken with the Nikon Ring flash, and I agree it is a poor implementation, although the LED's may be on the right track.

As an alternative, how about using an SBxx flash cabled to the sync port as usual, but with some sort of light pipe to deliver the light to a light pipe ring.

A clever glassbblower could possibly make the gizmo. Coat the backside like the back of a mirror, and frost the front of the doughnut for diffusion. Ring flash deluxe, with tried and true Nikon electronics !

Maybe find some flexible optical tubing ?
Or get fancey and make a clear plastic molded assembly.

Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but I do a lot of macro work in a Cocoon with an SB2x with decent results.

But the 995 macro is incredible, its just too difficult to consistently light an object that is 1-4 inches from the lens.

For really close-ups, a ring flash would be nice (i.e. jewelery, silver hallmarks, etc).

I'd love to try some sort of ring flash (other than the new Nikon one).

Lets get creative !
John Sobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:08 PM   #2

Hi John,
Nikons CoolLight SL-1 is not a flash, rather a ring light. It only has a working distance of from about .5" to a bit less than 5 inches and is virtually usless for anthing with a reflective surface like a watch crystal, the human eye, etc.

What might work for you is something like a Happenstance macro stand. This stand is no longer being made, but if you go to the former Happenstance site, they still have a few left which they will still ship onl request.

The happenstance stand is made either for the CP950 or CP990, but could probably be adapted for the CP4500. What it consists of is a stand with a diffusion medium so you can light the subject with external lights. Here's a link if you would like to take a look...

Lin

http://www.dcresource.com/specials/Copystand/

http://www.happenstanceproducts.com/
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:11 PM   #3

I found a gizmo just like I would build. I think it uses a standard flash and a light pipe. At least thats what it look like on the Fuji site. Maybe just have to do some adapting. It is a bit pricey though.

http://www.fujifilmsupport.com/accesory/items/yuzo/
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:53 PM   #4

Depending on how much it is, you might just want to look at the DigiSlave RF-50 unit which is $249 ($239 in some places).

This unit uses the built-in flash to sync a true ring flash which attaches to the CP series with 28mm filter threads and uses 4 AA batteries to power the flash. It's lots cheaper than the one on your link - probably works about the same. Here's a link to have a look:

Lin

http://www.srelectronics.com/rf50.html
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 2:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the link Lin. The Digi-Slave looks to be just the ticket for an off the shelf unit.

The dcresource.com review of the RF-50 was very positive.

Now I just have to get an adapter ring for the 995. Probably at CKC.

Thanks again,
John
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:45 AM   #6

Default ringflash for CP4500

The SL-1 is a ringlight, not good for more than 3-5 inches.

Trying to get a proper ringflash but the digislave is the only one available off the shelf.

the problem seems to be the attachement to the 28mm thread of the CP4500. Anyone has any experience?

Can the SB-29 be adapted to be used in the 4500?

TC
terchyan is offline   Reply With Quote