Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:15 AM   #1

Default Nikon CP8700 Owner Opinions - Please ??

I'd like to hear from Nikon CP8700 owners. Are you satisfied with your purchase? What is the biggest con / drawback / regret you see after having used the CP8700? A local camera store has the CP8700 in stock and I am still undecided between the Nikon CP8700 vs. Olympus C-8080WZ? What advanrage would going for the D70 give (besides interchangeable lenses)?
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2

I just recieved My 8700 friday and I was using A 990 for the past few years. The 8700 has A more useful zoom range and the shutter lag time is almost nil. I purchased mine on E-Bay for $794.00 + second day Fed- EX for A total of $809.97. I purchased An MB-E5700 Battery pack that I can use My rechargable AA batterys in at My Camera store. The battery pack adds A very good feel to this camera equatable to the feel of A 35MM camera without all of the weight.. It also adds A vertical shutter release and An easy zoom button when doing verticals. The photo's I have taken are all much more resolution then My 990 could give Me. For 4X6 prints there does not seem to be any diffrence but for 8 X 10 up the diffrence is amazing. I will now Be able to do an 11 X 14 and still be able to crop if I have to. So far I am more then pleased with My purchase. If I run into anything I don't like about this camera I will sure post it on this Forum.
Before I bought this I went to My Best Buy store and took A Compact flash memory card with me and took some pictures an printed them. I also went to circiut city and tried A Sony 828 but I did not like the pictures The Sony did. They just did not have the color and snap that the 8700 nikon provides.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:25 AM   #3
Frs

I bought mine 5 days ago ... so not a lot of experience here! I was able to take very clear and detailed picture in the automatic mode. I took some pictures inside (> 15ft away) and the results are so-so. No delay encountered so far in transfering pictures into the card. Very satisfied so far. Frs
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 9:04 PM   #4

frs- what did you pay? where did you get it?

Thanks
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Frs

There was a $300 difference between a 5700 & a 8700 ($979 vs 1279) & I really wanted an AF assist light to eliminate problems encountered by 5700 users.

I do have a question: I did read the entire manual & nothing about erasing the content of the CF card once the info has been transfered into the computer. Do I have to re-format every time??? Thanks for your answer! Frs
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:48 AM   #6

You don't have to reformat the card each time. Just erase all pics. The only time you need to reformat if there is a problem with the card, i.e. a picture won't load.

To the thread starter: get the Nikon if you want a long zoom (like myself). Get the Olympus if you want more wide-range (the opposite end of the zoom range). Also, I gather from Steve's review that the Oly is faster, i.e. better suited for action shots.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:48 PM   #7

I thought that both the Oly and the Nikon start at 35mm, the Nikon going up to 8x and the Oly 5x. If you want more wide angle either look at the Canon Pro 1, or think about a converter.
wimporym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimporym
I thought that both the Oly and the Nikon start at 35mm, the Nikon going up to 8x and the Oly 5x. If you want more wide angle either look at the Canon Pro 1, or think about a converter.
Wrong. A quote from Steve's review of the Oly, about the lens: 28 140mm equivalent in 35mm photography. Meanwhile, the Nikon 8700 goes from 35 to 280 mm.
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:25 PM   #9

I spent a month deciding and researching between the Nikon 8700, Sony F828, Olympus C8080, Canon Pro1. Many of these cameras have PROS and CONS. I did so many technical comparations that the day I went to buy the camera I was still undecided. In addition to all the features and nice reviews about the camera what really made me take the last desicion to purchase the Nikon 8700 was thenice look of the camera and the way it feels in your hands. I like the huge assortments of settings and combination that you can use for your pictures.

The only thing I don't like but I have learned to live with it, is that the pictures sometimes have excesive contrast. Do not set the contrast to LOW or the pictures will come too dark. Instead leave the contrast in AUTO.

Sharp and well saturated pictures pictures

jlandaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:19 AM   #10

I agonised over which 8mp camera to buy. I read all the reviews over and over. I swung from this one to that. Eventually I realised that I could reduce the options to two. The reason? - that I really wanted the kind of flip out and rotate lcd viewer. When taking vertical shots it's the only type that makes sense. So it was a choice Canon powershot pro1 or Nikon cp 8700? I went for the Canon. I used it for a month then returned it and got the Nikon. (The shop I bought it at allows a month use and return if not happy). Now I've had the Nikon for a week. Both are good in parts and bad in parts but in the end the choice comes down to how it feels, how easy it is to use, what it's used forand what percentage of the shots work. The last point was really the deciding factor. I got more shake, less good focus and worse colour from the Canon. Great camera but doesn't work for me.

BUT . . . I can't understand some of the decisions Nikon have made in designing the 8700. Without going into a lot of detail I find the routine of pressing this, holding that, holding your breath and hoping that seems to be neccessary when trying to copy a series of paintings is quite ridiculous. The focus and exposure locking is sooooo frustrating. What's more you have topay silly money to get a cable release that by all accounts is rubbish anyway. The Canon provided a beautiful tiny little wire free job in the box!

Many other gripes but still I prefer the Nikon to the Canon.

One thing though about reviews. Don't take them too seriously. Much of the measurement and detail seems completely redundant when you've got the thing in your hands. Only then do you know what's really important. So reviewers lets have more comments from people using the cameras in the real world please. What are the routines for action shots, studio shots, copying, macro etc. Does it take forever to set the camera up for these things?

Ronschi

ronschi is offline   Reply With Quote