Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:38 PM   #1

Default nikon 8700 vs canon pro 1

hi there! which of these two cameras would you buy and why?
koreandude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:00 AM   #2

Difficult choice. My store has all the major 8mp cameras now, except the Olympus, which we no longer carry.

I'd say it's a tough choice between the 8700, the A2, and the Pro 1.

The 828 is, IMO, a distant third because of the noise and purple fringing.

I'd probably go with the Pro 1, but I think that comes down to personal preference.

I would go to a store, and ask to try them out. A reputable store will allow you to make a test print on a decent inkjet or dye-sub.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:33 AM   #3

I very much doubt if there is going to be any discernible image quality difference between any of the new 8Mp cameras (A2, C8080, 8700, Pro 1, 828). They have the same CCD and all have good lenses. So you should make your choice on the features you need and the ones you can do without. The A2 has anti-shake, a manual zoom and a very good EVF which I consider to be big advantages. (I personally think an electric zoom is a very big pain in the a*se - also uses up the battery). The 8700 has a better long tele, but no real wide angle, though you can buy a teleconvertor. What's the Canon got? Er, a slightly better lens maybe and a remote control. If you want a long tele the Nikon is the best - pity then that it doesn't have image stabilisation, so you can't use it without a tripod. Also check out the user interface to see which you can live with. The Oly is the worst and the A2 is probably the best.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 4:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technophile
the Nikon is the best - pity then that it doesn't have image stabilisation, so you can't use it without a tripod.
Err, I think this is wrong. If there is good daylight, you can easily shoot good, sharp hand-held shots with even longer zooms. I have taken sharp hand-held pictures at full zoom with my previous Oly C-730, which has a 380 mm-equivalent zoom. (For comparison: the 8700 is up to 280 mm).
laja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:08 AM   #5

As a general rough rule of thumb if you shoot an n mm tele lens you need an exposure time of less than 1/n seconds. So the Nikon at 280 mm will need less than 1/250 second to get a sharp shot. In good light you can do it of course, or if you up the ISO rating and tolerate increased noise, but with image stabilisation you can probably shoot 1/50 second - provided the subject isn't moving too fast of course, in which case your only chance is an SLR with a huge fast tele costing many many thousands of dollars.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote