Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:13 AM   #1

Default Sunpak with the 5700

I have narrowed my flash search to two models. The Sunpak 555 TTL or the Sunpak PZ-5000. I am looking for the ability to use bounce flash in fairly large rooms and want to use it for fill flash at fairly long distances outdoors. I do allot of wildlife photography especially withe the 1.5X extender (420mm eq). I am thinking that the handle mounted unit would be easier to carry, however getting a bracket for the other unit would give me the same options, plus the ability of haveing a smaller package when needed..

I have looked at the Nikon units on Ebay, but spending $150 for an old SB28 seems silly when I could buy a new Sunpak for the money.

Any input would be appreciated.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:37 AM   #2

I am getting the 5000 with nikon SC-28 for when I want side lighting. The guide number is high on the flash...I plus for large room lighting with bounce up/down as well as side to side.

Many compare it to the Vivitar 283 flash...that flash has been around since mid 1970s and people still use it with their 5700 because it just works.

I don't know how well it would work for wildlife photography but do let us know.

HTH!

Sean
cafr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:40 AM   #3

Default One thing I forgot...

is that the flash can be used wirelessly. I don't know a range on it but over 15 feet would be pushing it so not really ideal for wildlife with a 1.5 tele lens. I don't know how well the flash would work at 480mm...that is quite far and unnecessary for a flash.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:49 AM   #4

I have run into quite a few people walking in the everglades taking bird pictures with long telephoto's at 30 to 40 feet. Using large guide number flash units for fill flash, the results look good. Some are using an adapter on the flash to help focus the beam at the longer ranges, this is what I want to do, so as to fill in highlights as most of these pictures are taken in bright light. Just looking for input on which would be the better flash.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:55 PM   #5

Well were they using a SLR/DSLR or a 5700?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:53 PM   #6

DSLR's the D100 to be exact, what difference would that make though?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:18 PM   #7

Well you said using their telephote lenses.

Why don't you get a D100 and a flash and a lens like theirs.

or why don't you get a pocket flash wizard?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:38 PM   #8

I really don't understand where you are coming from. My 5700 is not as fancy as the D100 but that has nothing to do with my question. It was about which flash was a better one for fill flash for taking nature shots. Your answers are not making any sense. If I am missing something please explain. But this question has very little to do with which camera I am useing and everything to do with which flash is more usefull for the purpose specified. I could use a point and shoot and would still see a vast difference in range and features between say a Nikon SB80 and an SB30. I am interested in the Sunpak 555 TTL or the Sunpak PZ-5000 and am wondering which is better for my intended purpose.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:20 PM   #9

Default Re:

Well excuse me.

If you want to use a flash outdoors over a hundred feet away, I would get a Pocket Wizard set. There are devices made to project the flash further than the actual distance but I don't know how well it would work outdoors. For me, the 5000af is going to be fine. 180 guide number, I believe at the max.

Maybe any radio tranceiver would work...not just the pocket wizard. Look on b&h.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 9:43 AM   #10

I guess I am not wording my question correctly. I am interested in the relative merits of the The Sunpak 555 TTL vs the Sunpak PZ-5000 for outdoor fill flash. The 555 being handle mounted and the PZ-5000 being shoe mounted. Guide numbers and price are very similiar. I am NOT interested in a different camera, lens, remote release etc. Just in a comparison of these two flash units for this purpose, if anyone has experiance with these units. The flash will be mounted on the camera as I walk many miles through the everglades and am not using a tripod. The intended MAX range for this fill flash is 30 - 40 feet. The subjects are birds, gators and snakes, along with flowers. I am not trying to shoot at 100 feet or anything close to that as it's not feasable and is too far from the animal with a 420mm to get what I want. I do not mean to be insulting to anyone trying to help, but am frustrated as I seem to not be wording this posting so that it can be understood.