Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 29, 2002, 6:53 PM   #1

Default Coolpix 5700 and external flash

Can the 5700 be used with external studio lighting?
Nikon doesn't support info.
Hot shoe connector AS-15 also does not work.
Anyone on this list have any additional information, or tried to
shoot with this camera and external flash other than Nikon speedlights?
rpetesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2002, 3:01 AM   #2

I have had my 5700 for about 3 weeks now. Having gotten past the learning curve of my first digital camera (and the software that goes with it) I began digging out all my old flash guns. My psudo studio lighting.

I was horrified to find that, while the 5700 can fire a non-Nikon flash, (in this case a Sunpak 622 Pro) it cannot turn off the internal flash!!. This, despite the fact that there is a menu option to do it. (I should mention at this point that not just any flash gun can be attached to the Nikon. Something to do with voltages. Check this link to see the voltage of your flash gun. I think the 5700 handles 6v or so. (I've fogotten. My 622 seems be to working fine, after about 200 shots)

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

What an unbelievable situation. I do not have any 'approved' Nikon flashes so I don't know what would happen to the internal flash if one was fitted.

Since that time, I have done some test shots with the 5700 and my non-Nikon flashes. However, I had to cover the internal flash so that it did not interfere with the shot.

This is a very stupid situation. I saw a post on dpreview.com and some chap mention that he had spoken to someone from Nikon, and they have NO INTENTION of fixing this problem with a firmware update.

Someone else mentioned that the little plastic top, that comes on the battery supplied with camera, fits the flash on the 5700 perfectly. I have not tried this yet.

Painted black on the outside and white inside (so the little sensor in there gets lots of light back and therefore, produces a small flash), I'm sure it would look better than the cardboard I taped to my camera. :-)

[Edited on 30-8-2002 by Brad]
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:57 PM   #3

Brad,

With a Nikon flash unit, a SB-50DX in my case, the menu settings do work. One can choose to have just the external flash operate, or have both internal and external work together for greater range. The SB-50DX also has a flip down diffuser that goes in front of the popped up internal flash. This gives several different combinations for direct and bounce flash with the 5700.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 12:15 PM   #4

re : Brad,
>" Someone else mentioned that the little plastic top, that comes on the battery supplied with camera, fits the flash on the 5700 perfectly."

I can't recall if the battery that came w/ the camera had a cover, but the additional battery I bought separately, had 1 . the white semi-transparent plastic top that covers the +/- contacts on the battery ..
I tried it on the popped-up flash of my 5700 and ROTFL (Rolling on the Floor Laughing)

and the answer is, folks :
it /really/ fits p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y !

so now I can diffuse that self shots that R getting popular nowadays . THX for a weird-yet-valuable info !
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:59 AM   #5

You can use the studio flash with the 5700 at least in two ways:

Buy a hotshoe / pc socket converter to attached to your camera hot shoe.

Use your buit in flash as the master, and activate other strobes by slave sensor.

In both cases, you want to use manual mode and using flash meter...

Check with porterscamera.com for these accessories...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 6:21 PM   #6

porterscamera.com above,
has tooo many pop-ups
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote