Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:53 PM   #1

Default Brand new 5700 - lens error! I'm so sad

I feel like crying. My one week-old 5700 is broken! It's been working great until I took it out today to use it and right away I noticed it wouldn't focus normally. Next thing I know, the lens is stuck in the extended position and I get a "lens error" message. Then it won't do anything - even turn off. I had to take the battery out. Eventually everything went off. I put the battery back in, it started to power up and it just makes this pathetic clackity-clackity noise as it tries to move the lens....

I get the feeling that this is the lens gear problem that I've read about (on c-net, for example). I will contact the place I bought it on-line (Beach Camera) and find out what to do. I feel worried that they won't take it back, as I've already cut the UPC off the box to mail it in for rebate. I still have it - I just cut if off yesterday and haven't mailed it yet.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get satisfaction? In other words, a working camera now??
jkmasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:36 AM   #2

I recommend you contact Nikon customer support.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3

Default Update

I called the place I bought it this morning and right away they said for me to send it back and they'll send me a new one - even though I already cut up the box. Hopefully it will work out and I'll get a working camera in short order. I am a little leary of the 5700 and thought about upgrading to the 8700, but decided against it. I don't need 8 mega-pixels or the additional expense. I found out that I'm not the first person with this lens error problem..... apparently it's some sort of design flaw.

I'd love for someone (or better yet, a bunch of folks!) to honestly tell me that I don't have anything to worry about, that the cameras that have experienced this issue were just "lemons" and that my new one will work for years to come.

Thanks for the support!
jkmasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:11 PM   #4

I have had my 5700 since November and have had no problems with the lens. One of my first purchase was a tube adapter. The adapter is used to add filters, telephoto lens, and macro lens. I use Bernie Heinz's variable adapter. Here is more info about the adapter: http://www.nextphoto.net/coolfix_variable_5700.htm

The adapter also provides a protecteive housing for your lens as you tele in and out. I consider the adapter a must have for the 5700 owners.

Some more information on the 5700 can be located at this site:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

Good luck with your camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 9:10 AM   #5

I also have the 5700 and have had no problems with mine either.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:21 PM   #6

Please read this thread. There are so many people got the problem with "Lens error." It does not matter what the model is.

http://jancology.com/blog/archives/2...ens_error.html

manhhung is offline   Reply With Quote