Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:07 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 8700 native filter thread size?

Does anyone know what the native thread size for attaching filters to the Coolpix 8700 is?

I have been searching the web for a few hours but no sites have actually told me in definite terms what the native filter thread size is (in millimeters)

One website leads me to believe it is 43mm, since they said their "DCR-250 Macro/Close-up lens fits the Nikon 8700 directly" (i.e. without step-up or step-down adaptor ring)

I am seriously considering an 8700 for my next camera purchase, I just was hoping someone could shed some light on the native thread size of the lens (i.e. without adaptor)

Thanks
mmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:40 AM   #2

Default Re: Coolpix 8700 native filter thread size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlin
Does anyone know what the native thread size for attaching filters to the Coolpix 8700 is?
The lens of the 5700/8700 does not have a deep enough filter thread. You can certainly mount a filter on that shallow thread; but, it may fall off the lens easily. See my 5700 user guide for more details, especially the "Filters" section. The 5700 and 8700 use the same set of lens accessories.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:45 AM   #3

Thanks Shene, I think I understand now...

Your website shows that filters are not attached directly to the end of the lens (like we would do with a regular camera).

Instead, filters are attached to an "adapter tube".

The adapter tube is attached directly to the camera body.

The "adapter tube" covers (but does not touch) the outside of the moveable lens, so the lens can still move freely in and out, within the "adapter tube".

Thanks again Shene, excellent website you have built there!
mmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:09 PM   #4

A word of caution about using the Nikon filter adapter -- non-Nikon filters may be too shallow and the zoom lens may hit the filter glass at full zoom. If so, it will result in a "lens error" message and might even crack the filter. One solution to the problem is to attach an empty filter ring (without the glass) to the adapter first (my camera store sold me onefor $3), and then attach your filter to the ring. This will give you enough extra space for the lens to fully extend. The downside is that this will cause annoying vignetting at low zoom.

Another solution might be to attach a 67mm-72mm step-up ring to the nikon filter adapter and then use 72mm filters. I haven't tried this, though.
Pat5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:28 AM   #5

Another solution for you would be to use the HN-CP11 lens hood on the 8700 (5700 as well). The hood screws directly into the camera body and is threaded to take 77mm filters. Nikon has a 77mm filter kit consisting of a UV filter, a circular polarizer, and two neutral density filters that works great on this hood. No vignetting and no interference with the zoom at any range. The bad news is thehood is afairly new item and is relatively hard to find. I had to pre-order mine but only waited a couple of weeks before it came in. You can find the filter sets pretty easily. Run a search on Google for current prices and suppliers.

Gampa

gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:33 PM   #6

Great tip - thanks. Just got the 8700, with the tubes and filters - ugh! I only put on one of the tubes, and sure enough, crashed the lens into it. Got it figured out now, but hate that fixed length tube sticking out there. The filters are all glass, but still, I would think the impact on the images can't be good. The lens hood and 72mm filters seems to make more sense to me.

Thanks.
penmangary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:43 PM   #7

Just looked at the HN-CP11 at Nikon's web site - it looks short in the picture, but you say no interference at full zoom? Thanks.
penmangary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:32 PM   #8

I RECENTLY BOUGHT AN HN-CP11 ADAPTOR, ALTHOUGH IT DOES SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF FITTING EXTERNAL FILTERS IT DOES CREATE ANOTHER PROBLEM...YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT USING THE INTERNAL SPEEDLIGHT...IT LEAVES A HUGE SHADOW
Attached Images

sizo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:17 PM   #9

My apologies for not mentioning the hood's interference with the light from the internal flash but I very rarely use the built-in flash so never gave it a thought when I made my post. But yes, sizo99 is absolutely correct about that. If I must use the flash I'd remove the hood.

Gampa
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:24 PM   #10

Sorry. Should have included this in the previous post.

To penmangary: that is correct, the hood does NOT interfer at all with the zoom at any focal length. Plenty of room left over even when zoomed all the way out. Plus, I find the hood acts as a nice resting place for my left hand and keeps it away from the buttons that are on the left side of the 5700 and 8700.

Gampa