Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:20 PM   #11

I'm an amateur, but I just purchased an 8700 last month and have been very pleased with the photos that I have taken with it. I have taken a few action photos and there is some noise, but Noise Ninja did a good job of taking most of it out. I have not tried the noise reduction on the camera.
kellamMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:54 AM   #12

I just purchased the battery grip and experienced the same problem getting the door off. I don't have the instructions right in front of me but I believe they say to position the door at a 45 degree angle and pull the door towards you and tilt it to the right. When they say 45 degrees, they mean it. I fought with it and almost gave up for fear of breaking something but caught thecorrect angle and the door pretty much fell out. You have to have patience doing this little bit of surgery.

I had my reservations with the battery pack but glad I got it and couldn't be happier. I'm using rechargable Panasonic NiHM batteries (bought 12, 6 for spares) andhave found thatthey last much longer than the stock battery that came with the camera (I have three of those, all Nikon, and when on a shooting rampage, blast through all of them in no time).

I haven't experienced any chromatic abberation problems with my 8700 as yet but have found some noise above 100. I generally shoot at 50 and occasionally at 100 and print my images at sizesbetween5x7 and 13x19.

Gampa
gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:54 AM   #13

Yes, the angle is critical. Once I was able to view the hinge under a stereoscope, it was then easy to see when I had the right angle......then, as you say, it just comes out very easily.
The grip really enhances the look and feel of this camera.....not to mention the powere reserve. The shutter and zoom buttons on the grip are a great feature.
I love it.

Tom
tkilloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:15 AM   #14

I am curious to know how many 5700's and 8700's have been sold to date, and the production rates on these cameras.
Is this information available in the public domain?
Does anyone know where one might find such data?

Tom
tkilloren is offline   Reply With Quote