Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:29 PM   #1

Default Question for Steve on his review of the 8700

It appears from reading your review of the 5700 and 8700 that the 5700 has less noise than the 8700 on ISA 100 and 200. Is this true? Did you notice enough of a difference that one may want to consider the 5700. i would of liked to have seen a little more comments on the two like you did with the 5000 and 5700. :shock:
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 1:30 PM   #2
Administrator

All of the new 8MP cameras use the same Sony imager and all of them have increased shadow (low light areas) noise and show considerable overall image noise above ISO 100. I think that 5MP is really the limit for this size of an imager and the only reason they went to 8MP was because the marketing guys said that "More is always better as far as sales is concerned." But more seems to be just TOO MUCH as the image noise and chromatic abberation problems are more prevalent on the 8MP cameras than last year's 5MP cameras.

The 5MP cameras make gorgeous 13x19" wall prints and even larger if you have a printer that big. How much do we really need in the way of image resolution? I'd rather have a clean 3MP image than a big and noisy 8MP image !
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 3:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I think that 5MP is really the limit for this size of an imager
I think you'll read this line in a couple of years and laugh, Steve. I remember a few years ago someone saying that it was physically impossible to make a PC quicker than about 300MHz.

But where does that leave the current generation 1/2.5" 4Mp sensors? The individual sensors on these are actually smaller than those on a 2/3" 8Mp by my calculation so they should be even noisier.

BTW, I'm willing to bet that we'll see 12Mp on a 1/2.5" sensor in the near future. The really interesting development will be, say, a 5Mp sensor that's 1/8". Just imagine how small you could make a super-zoom digital.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 9:00 AM   #4

Default Noise just does not seem a problem on my 8700

In the real world photography I have no noise problem at all. I can force noise when actually trying but normal pictures are just great in every way. I was using a 990 and I thought it was great until I got this 8700. I can now do more cropping if I have to and still print 13 X 19 inch photographs that are perfect in every way. I am totaly pleased with the results I get. I do use the Aperture prefered mode as to set my own lens and let the shutter be automatic. I do suggest that anybody that has this camera should go for the MB-E5700 Battery pack mainly because it makes holding this small camera a lot better and gives it A nice solid feel as found in larger 35MM cameras without the bulk or the weight. I have taken pictures outside with sunlight of moving motorcycles at 400asa and stopped the action with no noise problem at all. Inside I use a 800dx flash and the photo's are perfect. The only problem I have with this camera is I can't find A dealer in the world that has a HN-CP11 lens hood that I can buy. They are all out of stock or back-ordered. It is A great camera.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:20 PM   #5

Blueberry,
As a proud owner of the 8700 I do beleive more is better. After 6800 images, I suffer no CA, no purple fringing, and, if you keep it to ISO 50 and no higher than ISO 100 the results are extraordinary.
Even ISO 200 is acceptable, but, as an old time film user back in the day of Kodachrome 25 and 64 I prefer the slower ISO speeds for optimum clarity as I never know when or where "the shot" will happen. I use the 8700 to capture images of all types, some of which are represented professionally by a Stock Photo Agency. I have NO Complaints or regrets on the 8700.
Good Luck.
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:24 PM   #6

Ronnie,
I also bought the battery pack for my 8700 but wound up returning it as I was not comfortable removing the battery door, etc, etc.

Do you leave it attached permanently? Do you only use the AA's?
I actually returned the battery pack and bought an extra EL1.

Now, if I could have left the EL1 in, and attached the battery pack for the AA's, then I would have def. kept it. What do you think? What's your workflow like with regards to the battery pack vs. the EN1?
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:26 PM   #7

Oh, regarding the lens hood.
go to: www.nextphoto.net They have one $60.00 US that works on the 5700 and the 8700. I own one and it works very, very well. It also allows me to use 62mm filters.

best,
JM
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:33 AM   #8

Jimoro,
I LEAVE THE BATTERY PACK ON ALL OF THE TIME. I use Radio Shack rechargable "AA" batterys. I have A rayovac charger that will charge up to 8 "AA's" all at once. I just use six in the battery pack though.I carry extra charged up batterys with Me and one thing about "AA's" is you can purchase them anyplace on the planet if needed in a pinch. It does make the 8700 feel just great to hold. It makes Vertical portraits A pleasure and really adds not very much weight. The Weight it adds is in the right place to balance this camera just perfect.It also adds A zoom rocker switch to zoom the lens along with the shutter release button while shooting vertical shots
As far as the battery door. It is designed to come off of the camera very easy without hurting anything at all.
My opinion is that the "AA" batterys are the way to go because I use them in My external flashes anyway so why mess with diffrent batterys? It also makes the 8700 look very professional with the lens hood and A Nikon external flash attached.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 2:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the info! I agree it makes the camera look and feel much better. I will have to take another look at the battery pack. I was disillusioned when I got it and like I said had to remove the battery door, etc.

The battery pack and the lens hood from bernie @ nextphoto does make it loook good though....

Happy Trails,
Jorge
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:21 PM   #10

Jorge,
I feel your pain regarding removal of the battery door on the 8700. I just got my new battery pack/grip today. Following the instructions with the grip, I used as much force as I dared but the door did not budge. I will take it to work tomorrow so that I can look at it under the stereoscope to see how it comes off.
Anybody know the combination to getting these doors off without damage?

Tom
tkilloren is offline   Reply With Quote