Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 13, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

Default The 5700, is a l m o s t there.

First off, I love the 5700. It takes great pictures, I am used to the menus, and have not had a low light problem with focusing yet. Actually with the size and features of the camera, I have no complaint, except for one. Action shots. These prosumer cameras cannot take action shots. I have to admit at times, with quick mode on, single focus on, and continous shots, I can work with it. But I was hoping I could have one digital camera that met all my needs. It is too bad that at this stage, you still need to spend the money on a digital SLR to do it all.

I think I am correct in assuming that fast action shots and multiple shots in not an issue with the D70? Due to limited funds I went with the 5700, as I only paid $570 with the rebate that I am still waiting for. I was hopeful that it would be the one camera that would meet all my needs, not 85% of the time. Ugh.

It is a good thing I still have my trusty Canon Elan for those action shots. Just wish a Prosumer camera could do it all.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 7:15 AM   #2

What about the new Minolta A2? That's about the fastest digital non-SLR you can get. Lightning focus, no shutter lag and up to 3fps.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:42 PM   #3

.This is what Dpreview said about the A2

" Imagine the disappointment then when we discovered that while fast the AF system seemed a bit hit and miss, showing us the white AF OK indicator dot when in fact the focus was either way out or just slightly out. We also had some issues with randomly soft images (as well as AF misses) and artifacts from moiré - I think the lens is being used beyond it's capabilities."

I think I will stick with the 5700 which does not have these issues.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 6:02 PM   #4

maybe you should read the luminous landscapes review its slightly different then that of DP review. the A2/A1 will outperform the aging 5700 without a doubt. the low light abilities to lock on is outstanding where a 5700 will hunt and hunt and usually fail.
i don't have the patiences for a camera that i have to push buttons to zoom nor can i manual focus with ease. DP review tends to bench mark a camera where others use it to photograph thus get a much better feel for the camera and its capabilities. i want a camera that acts like an slr. i can find fault in every one of them too.

on the AF i shoot with a 1Ds and as AF goes i put it at 95% accuracy. the A1 at 85% the A2 at about 87%. no digicam will hold a candle to a AF SLR. if you think they do you deluding yourself. the A1/A2 models are closer to that but the 5700 is slower and has other issues that severly limit it in lots of situations. speed is not where these will perform that well. but again when you learn how to use them the A1/2 will shine over the rest of the digicam crowd

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...oosing-8.shtml

above is a link where the 8700 (the improved 5700)and a few others are take out to play with and the results.

here is and real world A1 shot:

http://www.pbase.com/image/27856865
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:12 AM   #5

Thanks for your additional info. It does seem to be a very good camera. However the 5700 has a better zoom and photo quality was never an issue in any review which to me is the most important thing. The only complaint I have with my 5700 is action shots at times. But like you said no prosumer camera will be able to do what a digital SLR can.

However I can say I would rather have the A2 over the 8700 which has noise issues, even though I became a Nikon lover after checking out the 5700, D100 and D70.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:44 AM   #6

has a better zoom?!

i guess its range is more to your liking. i guess have a limited WA is no issue for you. but shooting indoors the 28mm is absolutely necessary. the action on the nikon zoom is controlled by push buttons and motors. slow and inaccurate when you crave control. again just like a real slr the A series has a feel for creativity and control where the 5700 is lacking. with the 5700 you can add an aux WA that makes it foward unbalanced. its a fair chunk of glass. being that the A series also has the antishake feature at the 200 end it has a better chance the the 5700 not to blur due to the user movement.

remember the difference in focal length at the wide end say the difference between a 35 and 28 is much greater in angle of vue (12 deg) then that at the high end diff between 200 and a 280 (roughly 2.5 deg) that is easily cropable to produce where you cannot add to an image at the wide end

i've shot nikon for 15 yrs f4(modified) and f5. the best of their time. they're tools and i use the tool that is appropriate and comfortable. brand name is not an issue.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote