Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Microdrive for Nikon Coolpix 8700

I just purchased 8700 and still trying to figure out if CF or Microdrive is the right way to go.

Secondly if Microdrive will 4GB Hitachi drives work.

Experts please advice.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 2:11 AM   #2

I don't know about the CP8700, what I know, is that lots and lots of people are having problems with the 4gb from Hitatchi. I would contact Nikon for this one...
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 8:57 AM   #3

Default sandisk ultra II works great.

I did My informal test using A Sandisk 128 regular card against the ultra II 256mb card I just bought. Shooting at hi 8 of the brown fake brick wall of My house the 128mb card took 55 seconds to write. The ultra took 6 seconds to write. I tried My 96mb regular card and it also took 55 seconds to write. At fine mode the ultra was instant and the other cards took 15 seconds to write. I used the wall because it has a lot of detail and is rough texture.
I just ordered A 512 mb card and I will see if there is any diffrence between it and the 256mb card.
My suggestion to You is to look into A 1gb sandisk ultra II card. I think the CF cards are more durable then the micro-drives.
Also, If You havn't You should look into A MB-E5700 battery pack for Your 8700. It makes the camera easy and steady to hold. It uses AA batterys and is A great improvement to the 8700 camera.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
I think the CF cards are more durable then the micro-drives.
I'm with Ronnie on that one!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:18 PM   #5
Frs

I am an IBM employee and although I could get a rebate on a MicroDrive, I picked a 512mb card... Frs
Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:29 PM   #6

I have been using the 1G IBM microdrive for about a year and so far absolutly no problems in any camera I have used it in.THese include Nikon CP5700, 8700, and Canon Pro 90is (I think it also works in the CP995.)
jimatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:27 AM   #7

Default I know :-), MD is cheaper tho!

Check out my postings and my poll

durnienp
durnienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 10:29 PM   #8

microdrives are great for storing a lot of stuff. however, be very careful about bumping/knocking the camera on anything. the only way to clear a microdrive error after whacking the camera is to reformat it. this would be very bad if you have a lot of pics on it.

it's best to have a backup CF with you in case you do have one of those accidents.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 3:41 AM   #9

I believe that compact flash is the only way to go. Microdrives are subject to failure if dropped or otherwise mistreated. CF is solid state and I find it better to use smaller cards like 512 or 1Gb rather than one huge card. (the chickens in a basket syndrome)

Also here is a true story that should convince you. Me and my friend hunt the beaches here in Hawaii with our metal detectors. Let's call my friend, Mike, anywayMike found a Transcend brand 512 Mb CF card in the wet sand (Tide had receded, but it definitely got wet and very sandy, though probably only lost for a day or 2) We both have coolpixes, his a 4500, mine a 5700 and I suggested he try clean it and see if it would work since it could be worth more than the ordinary gold bands we often find. He did and could read one image on it on the computerbut couldn't get it to write, (take pics in his camera, ) so he litterally tossed it in the trash. I am a little more cybersavvy than him so he let me have it (under cig butts etc in trash, remember) I rinsed in distilled water, blew dry with hair dryer and compressed air and noticed that the image was shot with a canon, (excif data)so I reformatted it on my Nikon and Voila!!!!! I now have an extra 512 Mb card that works perfectly and won't hesitate to use it on an important shoot. Just try that with a micro drive!!!!!Below is a junk watch I found. Obviously in water for a while, and NO, it doesn't work, but it is a nice find none the less! Jock in Waimea
Attached Images

jock is offline   Reply With Quote