Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Please help me in choosing a Nikon

I am in the process of buying a camera from a friend of mine and would like to hear some honest opinions first.

He is looking to sell me his Nikon Coolpix 990 camera, which from what I have read is a near-excellent camera. Though I also understand that it is an older model and offers less/different features than some of the newer models.

My question is, is it worth purchasing an "older" Coolpix 990? or should I shop around for a newer model? (By the way, my friend is asking $200 for his 990... which is in excellent condition)

My main reason for buying a camera is to not miss any of the precious moments of my daughter growing up. I do however, have aspirations of becoming a better-than-average amateur photographer.

Thanks to everyone in advance, and a special thanks to Steve's for a GREAT site and resource center.
Crazy8tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:16 PM   #2

I looked on Ebay and used 990 seem to be selling for more than $275. What all comes with the camera? Is the seller the original owner? What happens if the camera breaks 90 days down the road will it break your friendship? The 990 will provide you with very good pictures and would be a good starting point for you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I looked on Ebay and used 990 seem to be selling for more than $275. What all comes with the camera? Is the seller the original owner? What happens if the camera breaks 90 days down the road will it break your friendship? The 990 will provide you with very good pictures and would be a good starting point for you.
He has an additional 16MB CF card, a Nikon camera bag, NiMH Rechargeable batteries & charger (I think), a mini-tripod, an anti-glare filter, and he is throwing in a USB 2.0 card reader.

No chance at all of losing friendship over the deal. He is the original owner, btw. He even has the original packaging & sales receipt. Though thank you for raising that point. He has agreed to a 90 money back guarantee. LOL
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

Sounds like a very reasonable selling price considering what you have stated.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:43 PM   #5

I would get the Nkon 3200. Reduced purple fringing due to the improved lens, and it is very easy to use. Good price too.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
I would get the Nkon 3200. Reduced purple fringing due to the improved lens, and it is very easy to use. Good price too.
Thank you for your input Blueberry. I really appreciate the suggestion. So, would you say the 3200 does everything the 990 does and more? I saw that it adds audio to it's video, that's a plus. Those purple fringes can be a pain, and the fact that the 3200 reduces them is a plus as well.

Is there anything the 990 does/can do that the 3200 does not/cannot do?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8tz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
Thank you for your input Blueberry. I really appreciate the suggestion. So, would you say the 3200 does everything the 990 does and more? ?
YES

Is there anything the 990 does/can do that the 3200 does not/cannot do?[/quote]

NO
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:23 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8tz
Is there anything the 990 does/can do that the 3200 does not/cannot do?
Yes. Although the 3200 is a newer model, it does not offer the manual control of the Coolpix 990.

With the 990, you get full manual control (aperture and shutter speed), as well as aperture priority and shutter priority modes.

You'd also get a better macro mode in the 990 (able to fill the frame with an object as small as 3/4" across with virtually no distortion). If you want more control of depth of field, you also get that with the 990 (thanks to it's multi-blade iris with very fine control of aperture).

The 990 also uses a larger 1/2" CCD sensor, so you'll most likely have lower noise levels at higher ISO speeds, compared to the smaller 1/2.7" (.37") CCD Sensor used in the newer 3200.

Of course, the 3200 has noise reduction for longer exposures (something that the older 990 did not have). However, this only uses a dark frame subtraction system for hot pixels, and can't reduce random noise).

The 990 also has provisions for external flash, lenses, etc. -- allowing you to add-on to the camera if desired.

There are pros and cons to both. The newer models typically have more "bells, whistles and buzzers" compared to the older models (scene modes, better movie modes, etc .).

Personally, having owned two swivel bodied Nikons (950, 990), I'd have to go with the 990 (a steal at $200.00) if choosing between the 3200 and 990.

Don't underestimate the value of the swivel body for getting great candid photos either. It can also be handy getting photos in a crowd (holding the camera over your head, and still be able to frame the shot using the LCD).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:05 PM   #9

Default The 990 is A great Camera!!!

You could not go wrong with the 990 for what You are going to use it for. It is A great little all metal bodied camera.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote