Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 4, 2002, 5:36 PM   #1

Default External flash for CoolPix 5700

After purchasing a NIKON 5700, I have found that just the expensive NIKON flashes work with the unit. Even worse, the flashes use 123 batteries. I could spend over $360 for a NIKON flash that uses rechargable MAHA AA batteries, but the budget right now says $200.00 or less. I have a SUNPAK 433AF that I use with my 990, of course it has a different shoe and cable.
Has any one found any thing that won't fry the camera? Almost every dealer will not or cannot give me a straight answer as what is available to use. I realize that the automatic feature will not work, but I need some sort of sync flash like the one that works with my 990.

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by tejasmed]
tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2002, 6:35 PM   #2

did U check the "Flash (External)" sections before posting here ? there R already ample topics on this, but I'll post here since I'm pondering over the same question . geez, I'm finding out 5700's internal flash is of virtually no use, since it's too bright for close-ups, too weak for any moderate interior shots, plus blurry shots ..

seems like the problem w/ some independant makers' /dedicated/ flash is that they canNOT stop 5700's own flash from popping up .

I have a private importer here in Korea boasting 2 lesser-known Chinese models work fine, for (umph) aprox. $40 ! checking the validity now ..
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:43 AM   #3

Any Nikon dedicated flashes made by Sigma or Sunpack or Vivitar or others will work with the 5700. Since the original Nikon flashes like the SB50DX (expensive batteries) or the 28DX or the 80DX's DTTL function will not work with the 5700, you can save money to get the off brand flashes, Sigma has the 500 series flashes that probably satify your needs...cheers

[Edited on 9-5-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:20 PM   #4

Unfortunately, third party flashes DO NOT WORK WITH THE 5700!

I have a Vivitar 840AFNi that works just fine with my CoolPix 990. But it does not work with the 5700. I don't know what changes Nikon made, but I am not happy. I ended up buying a Nikon SB-50DX, which works just fine. But I resent the non-compatibility.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 8:52 AM   #5

Default 5700 external flash

I did check a couple of the other threads. There is an interesting thread about where to find the voltages of all the flashes. I will look up the Sigma flashes to see if they are safe.
As far as the pop up, I can see where that might be a problem. There were several ideas about how to cover the flash to mute it for close ups to let the other flash take over.
Since I take a lot of "award" type shots when I am at the Chili Contests, a bunch of the shots come at night. It was a real learning curve with the Sunpak 433af and the Nikon 990, but I finally learned a few of the combinations.
I still find it hard to believe that NIKON is not working with us to correct the problem or some smart independent stepping in and solving the problem.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 10:26 AM   #6

follow-up :
I'm now thinking of getting a 50DX like many who have pondered over the subject before me, Gordon included "V"
ofcourse, the only 2 things R : U canNOT turn the flash head vertically, and the batteries R NOT rechargeable .

however, it provides just /enough/ automation w/ 5700, while higher models (w/ vertical swivel) R a waste of money since 5700 can't accept these their higher 3D AI .

also, most independent flashes (most R much larger than 50DX) seem to weigh down the rather /compactness/ of the 5700 .

besides, tejasmed, U don't wanna cut down too much for that next "award"
good luck ! and keep us informed

[Edited on 9-8-2002 by Mango]
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2002, 2:47 PM   #7

Default NIKON 5700 external flash Reply to Mongo

When I say "award" shots, I really mean taking pictures of all the Chili awards when in Terlingua. Over the years I have become the unofficial Official photographer for CASI. Most of what I document at Terlingua each year goes into the archives, the real important stuff as to who won the world championship for the year is published in the Terlingua Trails newspager. You can see a lot of my stuff on www.chili.org and my own site http://members.tripod.com/Tejas_Medicineman/
The real problem for picture taking at the awards on Friday and Saturday night is that it is still daylite when they start, and in a matter of minutes the sun sets behind the hill and the moon and stars are up, just within a matter of minutes. You are constantly changing settings. For several years I have been trying to warn the newbie news media that show up, but they are never up to it and lose a lot of shots. When I was using the 35mm SLR Canon A1, I had to back myself up with the disposable Fuji cameras, because I could not change batteries fast enough. Thank goodness for MAHA.
Anyway, I'm still looking. probably will have to wind up buying that more expensive NIKON flash that uses the AAs. Meanwhile, I still have the 990 and the Sunpak

[Edited on 9-8-2002 by tejasmed]

Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:26 PM   #8

Try a new production Vivitar flash. I bought the 728AFNi last week and it disables the internal flash in the speedlight auto mode. It was $43 from B&H photo, its cheap enough that you can use it until you find something else.

You could also set the camera to continuous mode which disables the internal flash leaving the external flash active, page 105 in the manual.

[Edited on 9-9-2002 by Ray_W]
Ray_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 2:33 AM   #9

Default NIKON 5700 external flash

I just had a talk with the marketing manager at TOCADAmerica concerning the SUNPAK PZ5000AF flash.
There will be an official release out in a few days that will solve a lot of problems for NIKON 5700 users wanting to use SUNPAK.
Granted, there will still be some problem with the internal flash, but I have been told that at least the SunPak will not fry my camera.
Good suggestion about leaving the camera flash on constant.
I like to leave the external flash on constant anyway during the middle of the day when taking candid shots of people. The fill flash fills in under the hat brims and under the nose.

Let's just say that I purchased a PZ5000AF today through the mail. Will let you know soon what I find out.
Sorry about the misspelled name Mango....I tried to correct it 3 times and the system would not let me.
Donn

[Edited on 9-12-2002 by tejasmed]

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by tejasmed]
Old Sep 16, 2002, 1:23 AM   #10

Default vivitar 728AF and stroboframe...

If I wanted to use something like the Vivitar 728AFni and a stroboframe bracket would I use something like the Nikon AS-15 SYNC Hotshoe terminal adapter or is there something more sophisticated? With the prices at B&H this is looking like a very inexpensive solution.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote