Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:39 PM   #1

Default Nikon 990 - trouble with sporadic dark photos

I have been experiencing dark photos every now and again. Sometimes everything I take in one setting is too dark (thought it was just not enough light). But just took a lot of portraits for an organization I belong to - I stayed in the exact same place, and people, one by one, stepped into place for photo - same place, lighting, distance, etc. Some photos were fine, others kind of dark, some real dark. What could be wrong? And where can I get it fixed? It's 2 years old.

Cathy
hudcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:53 PM   #2

So, you did not have Red Eye or some other flash mode on?

Have you taken a picture with the flash that came out dark?

Does the picture look dark on the monitor or does it look fine, but the exposure comes out dark?

What mode are you using? Full AF? Does the problem happen when you use a different mode, such as manual control?

The only time I have seen something similar is when I am using full manual messing around with ISO speed, exposure compensation, or other settings, but your description of the problem sounds different.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:24 PM   #3

Flash was on in full Auto mode.

Photos did look dark on LCD screen.

Had what you were talking about in Manual mode fooling around with settings - this is different.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:40 PM   #4

Default Comment

I ran into a similar issue (but different) when I went out the other day, put the camera on shutter priority and set it to 1/1000. The camera said it was fine with that exposure, but all the prints were way dark. I went back and did 1/500 and all was fine. There was plenty of light also - hmmmm. Let me know if you figure out where to get this fixed.
larsonhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 4:37 PM   #5

Based on what you described, the under-exposure photos were the results of your flash didn't have enough time to recyle between shots, you need check the flash ready light before you take the picture... I don't think there was anything wrong with the camera...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2002, 4:44 PM   #6

Both of your shutter speeds setting was outside the range of the camera syncho speed for flash anyway, did you use the built in flash?, if you did, then you won't get correct exposure. If not, you set the shutter speed too fast for the maximum openning of your lens and it can not correspond to correct exposure, when you adjusted to 1/500, you did get the correct exposure (longer time for adding more light to get correct exposure)...cheers
Old Sep 5, 2002, 5:28 PM   #7

I didn't think the camera would let me take a photo that needed flash if the flash hadn't recycled yet. Will it?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 8:38 PM   #8

Oh yes, it will if you push the shutter button on the flsh mode on, the flash will fire whether it has enough power or not, that why you got some dark pictures and some not.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:25 PM   #9

In my case (all dark with 1/1000 shutter speed) I had intentionally turned off the flash because it was mid-day on an overcast day.
larsonhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:33 PM   #10

I had almost exactly the same problem with a 995 fairly recently. The solution was very simple and will put a different slant on the problem. It may not be your problem but it is worth considering it!

I was getting very inconsistent results with the flash, with pictures sometimes coming out almost completely dark. The shop suggested that I was not waiting for the flash to recycle, however this was not the problem. I worked out the problem by trial and error.

The 990 and 995 both have a pop-up flash. When the flash is up, you will see a small sensor underneath the flash bulb which measures the amount of light reflected back from the subject, in order to determine the strength of flash required. Having quite large hands, the thumb of my left hand sometimes sits on top of the camera, just near the flash. I noticed that the flash was reflecting off my thumb. I then realised that even though my thumb was not actually in front of the flash, it was causing the sensor to provide a weaker flash. Moving my thumb out of the way solved the problem every time.

This is probably not your problem but it is worth checking. Even if it is not, try putting your thumb near the flash sensor and see the results. this is not a particularly good design, notice that the 4500 has removed this problem by changing the position of the flash.

Kevin
UK
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote