Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 12, 2004, 5:17 AM   #1

:?: down to 2 choices

My personal first choice would be a Nikon Coolpix 8700 with ALL the trimmings including the underwater housing, Wide Angle Adapter, Tele Adapter, MAHA Battery Pack, etc ...
Downsides:
no Adobe rgb colorspace
no 16 bit depth NEF
no decent noise remover for mac. Neat & Ninja do not have it yet and I can't find one to run on a mac. Are the images really noisy when printed large? At f/8 are you getting detail in wide angled landscapes for large 20x30 prints? That seems an awfully wide f/stop for an infinite landscape.

My second choice:
Nikon D70, 12-24DX, 24-120VR, *80-400VR (*which I already own)
Downsides:
Post processing
Heavy to lug around
Dust in the CCD

My purpose: Very very small town and very very part time photographer who currently sells local interest images in a tiny little shop that doesn't really get a ton of Business. Occasionally I will get a Big job, but not often. I am mostly a Mom who loves to takes lots of family photos of people and places we go.

I have a medium format Epson 7600 printer and am wondering if the coolpix will give me decent 20x30 poster size images using the ultra-chrome technology? I have always just used RAW 16bit files in Adobe RGB so am not familiar with srgb modes in 8 bit depth. Photoshop 8 can print in 16 bits now too. I just want to simplify my workflow and NOT spend a lot of time post processing. I don't mind doing my own printing it's the Photoshop I don't like. I need to spend less time on photographs to sell and more time with family and friends but still want to be able to sell images to support my photo habit and feed the printer etc... If I got the coolpix I could send my images off to a lab and sell my printer too! Now that would free up a lot of time! I read where the 20x30 lab prints are stunning on a thread here but I don't know what the subject matter was. If it was a "never ending mountain vista" or a portrait? I need both.

I really want the coolpix! Point, shoot, print, share! Will it work that simply?

So, if any experienced users would be kind enough to check my thinking and help this old Mom sort through this decision I would really appreciate your time!

Thanks!
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2004, 8:41 AM   #2

Hi Hope,
I have the Nikon 8700 and I really like the results it gives Me. I do mostly Family Portraits and this Camera is as good as the Hasselblad I used to use. I had the 990 Nikon before buying this 8700 and it was not really good for the results I need for a perfect photograph. The 8700 does a perfect really nice photograph that I can do up to My 11 X 14 prints and still allow Me to crop if I need to. I have the MB-E5700 battery pack which allows the use of AA rechargable batterys and adds a vertical shutter release and zoom rocker switch. It also makes the 8700 feel real good to hold. I have the UR-E8 Adapter and A lens hood that I got from Bernie at nextphoto.net that screws on to the UR-E8 adapter and protects the lens from bumps and stray light. The set-up really makes this camera look impressive and it is still very light and easy to use.The 8700 comes with NikonView 6 software that is very good and will also open raw files. I do have Photoshop 7 and the nikon 6 plugs into it to allow me to open raw files in photoshop. I have found that all I need is to shoot in FINE jpg and the resolution and color is just perfect. I just did a portrait for some people and they gave Me extra $$$ because they looked so good and the color of what they were wearing was dead on correct. I don't know anything about the D-70 so You will have to ask someone else. I thought of one but I want the convenience of the coolpix. I am very happy with My decision.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 4:54 PM   #3

WOW! That is good news! Thanks for sharing your experience! I am in the process of upresing an image I downloaded here in the 8700 review area and printing a 20x30 on my Epson 7600. I cannot decide whether the 8 bit Srgb files should be stair stepped or just done on bicubic smoother in one fell swoop? :? I may waste the ink and try both! I selected the one with palm trees just to see how leaves render. I really hope it looks great as I really want this camera! I am sick of dust issues and heavy camera bags etc .... ! I want it to be fun again! Also, I may have to recalibrate everything to print in srgb? :?: Not much on printing is covered in the 8700 manual I downloaded. For me, the end result is not a camera but a print! A BIG one! :-)

I'm lost totally! Anybody care to share what color setting for Photoshop when printing in Srgb?
Old May 15, 2004, 10:12 AM   #4

I wish I could help you with the color space issue, but I'm still learning how to edit and I don't print my own prints. I thought I'd drop you just a quick line about my D70. I've never seen a 8700 print so I cannot tell you mine just look better, etc.However, in your top post you mentioned you didn't want a D70 b/c it is heavy to lug around, post processing, and dust on the ccd so I thought I'd share some of my experience.

I like my D70 becauase I can swap lenes and for all the manual control, although it can be bully automatic as well. Other things I like about the D70 is that it has no discernable startup time, the batteries last a long time, there is no shutter lag (it takes a little bit to focus of course, but it'sextremely small compared to digicams), and picture noise is very low at higher iso speeds.

As far as dust is concerned, as long as you're carefull swaping lenes, I don't think dust on the ccd is as bad as people make it out to be based on the numerous feedback I've been able to get from people on this forum. I wish I could show you someof my prints. I like to tinker with post processing, but I'm like you in that I don't want it to consume my time as I feel I have better things to do ... like take more pictures :-). Anyway, just last weekend, my wife and I went on vacation and I took all my pictures in RAW. When I got home, I selected the ones I liked anddidn't need cropping. I then used Nikon Capture's batch process to convert them to jpg. Itook the jpg's to wolf camera, keep in mind I've not done any editing, and had them print them out on their 1 hours printer. When I got them back I was amazed at the color, detail, and sharpness. The pictures just made me love my camera all the more.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to get a D70. I hope you like the results of the 8700. I just wanted to hopefully alieve some of your concerns about the D70 should the 8700 not work out for your needs. Good luck in your decision.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 1:08 PM   #5

Thanks for your response! I downloaded the two playground images with the palm trees in the background and the big ship shaped play equipment. While it is clear that the 8700 was taken on a sunny day and the D70 on a cloudy day, I still upresed both 200% in 10% increments and printed them with no other alterations. I did adjust Adobes color settings to match the photos color space. The 8700 was printed in srgb 8 bits. It appears that the D70 was in Adobe RGB but reduced to 8 bits when posted by this reviewer so I left it at that. While both prints produced stunning results, the 8700 had inky black shadows with no detail at all. This was not acceptable to me. I could not tell if it was the photographer, the camera, or the limiting color space of srgb. So, given that; I have decided on the D70 for the 16 bit depth and Adobe RGB color space. The D70 image had plenty of shadow detail and the leaves looked more realistic and less painterly to me. However, I may pick up a digicam just for fun too! Getting both would be a little expensive! :| but lots of fun! If I HAVE to get one, it will be the D70. Thanks for all the help, this was a tough decision!
Old May 23, 2004, 5:43 PM   #6

Hope. Couple things about your post.

One: Small town. I too am in a very small town that would not support a full time photographer. I am retired and wanted to work out of my home to start and build from there. How did you get your name around town? Any advertising?

Two: 20x30 prints. Try www.mpix.com. A division of Miller Images and their prints are out standing. I had a print made from a TIFF image taken with the new *istD Pentax 6 megapixel and it was just beautiful. I have had16x20 prints made and they look great. They are very reasonablly priced to. Mpix is set up to handle the small pro just getting started or the serious amatur who wants first class lab work. They over night service at a good price too.
GeorgeF73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 6:28 PM   #7

Hi George! I thank you for your response!

In a small town word travels pretty fast so I have sort of been lucky in that regard. I sell mainly 11x14, 8x10, 5x7, and 20x30 poster sized prints matted and poly-bagged. I also just started in Postcards. I was doing Photographers Edge Greeting Cards but no one was willing to pay $3.50 for them so I gave it up.

The shop collects $2.00 per month from 140 artists and sells candles as a fund raiser for ads. They advertise heavily on the radio and in the newspaper. They also hold 2 Open Houses each year where they give away door prizes hourly and serve food and drink. The door prizes really bring in the crowds! The ladies are a joy to work with and have really helped me market my goods. Just because I don't like a photo does not mean it won't sell! Some of my least favorites are my best sellers! They taught me to test the market before I over print and stuff like that! I've been at it going on three years now and have made a lot of mistakes and learned a whole lot! I am sure I'll never make a living wage, but, it does pay for my supplies and my equipment. I really enjoy it and breaking even is my goal right now.

One thing you may consider are "Fairs". Those are big around here. I used to do about 4 a year where you set up the tent and tables and sell that way. I just started doing well enough at the shop that I do not have to do those anymore. They are a lot of fun. Some of the nicest folks I ever met were Fair people! After things settle down and the kids are older I'd like to start doing them again.

I hope you've found some of this information useful. Good Luck with your post retirement Business! I hope it brings you everything you dream it will! With the state of our economy my husband may never get to retire! :lol: