Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 17, 2004, 7:16 PM   #1

The Coolpix 5200 and 4200 were announced back in March but I have yet to see a review. It's been posted on the Coolpix website for some time but is not yet available. My wife has decided she wants this camera for a vacation in June. What gives?
davyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2004, 11:34 AM   #2

I'm waiting for this review also as I am trying to decide between this camera and a Sony P100 or W1. The stores in my area (Ohio) don't have them in stock but it appears you can order them from the Nikon website. I hope it's a good one,my vacationis in July so I have alittle more time to wait!

Boog
boogvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Administrator

We just got the 5200 but we're still working thru a pile of other cameras that got here first. Hopefully we'll get to the Nikon in the next week or so. What little I did use it, it looks and feels great, very solid and compact.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

Good to hear your initial feedback. I like others have been waiting for an age for this camera to come to market. Why do they attempt to launch it simultaneously worldwide ? - it must be logistical nightmare.

Not only that but it also causes a lack of reviews- making it hard to gauge whether the camera is a lemon or not. The only review I've seen is in Russian - if I get desperate I'll use the yahoo translator to make sense of it.

I have blind faith in the Nikon brand so I'll go and look at it this weekend and 95% chance I'll buy it...without reading a single review.

Back to topic - if anyone else has feedback or reviews on the Nikon 5200camera I would be grateful.

Lee
LTJOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 12:41 PM   #5

Hey LT,

Is it available for purchase somewhere in your area?

Boog

boogvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 4:22 PM   #6

I'm posting from the UK - and it seems today the independents have stock (20/5).

Jessops - a countrywide chain - have warehouse stock but it hasn't filtered through to the stores.

Lee
LTJOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 7:32 PM   #7

Hi!

I too am really looking forward to getting some user information on this Camera! So far, I've only been able to find one review on the net, and it's in Svedish! However, there are some pictures there if you want to check the quality of the 5200.

Check this site out: http://www.cyberphoto.se/nikon/digital/5200.php]http://www.cyberphoto.se/index.php?http://www.cyberphoto.se/nikon/digital/5200.php[/url]

Any news on when the camera is released in Australia?

Cheers
ZeeTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 4:31 AM   #8

Zee the 5200 is due to be in shops by end of june in Australia and the price is yet to be announced.

Matt
mat166801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 1:43 PM   #9

I actually tried out the 5200 in a shop yesterday. I've been looking for a compact digicam for work, something that can be carried everywhere and also takes good pictures including macro. I had been looking at the Sony T1 (despite the good reviews, I found the pictures rather fuzzy), the Casio Z40 (nice camera, reasonable macro). Then there was this new camera, the nikon coolpix 5200 - I was impressed.

It's a great size (though not as slim as the T1) but still very compact, good build quality. Easy to take snaps, good quality, quick focus - and great macro - focusing down to a thumbnail without problems. I almost bought it immediately, but for the pushy clerk (it's counterproductive to be too pushy with me) and also my desire to do some 'research' on it. Surprising thing is of course, it's so new that there are no reviews yet! I intend to buy this next time I get the chance. The sooner the better, otherwise I'll get sidetracked by other Sony's eg W1 and P100...

Very good camera IMH0 as a relative newbie (currently using an old Coolpix 990 but had a Sony DSC-85 before)
chobochobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 3:20 AM   #10

How close are we to seeing a 5200 review?
mat166801 is offline   Reply With Quote