Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:12 AM   #11

FYI,just found out from the Nikon japanese site that coolpix 5200 has a blue model. Probably, Japan only, and in Japanese menu and user manuals. The 5200 won't be out until June 4 in japan.

There is also a review on coolpix 5200: http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Nikon5200.html
jcwhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 2:17 AM   #12

Hello tomandcathi, did you get the package dealfrom cameta? what kind of SD card they give? have you tried saving 30fps movies on the given card? ok or not? thx.

tomandcathi wrote:
Quote:
I got my coolpix today. I ordered off of ebay yesterday from an Aminty NY company called http://www.cameta.com The price was good and they shipped the same day. I'm not sure about the incamera redeye reduction. But the software that comes with the camera has a redeyereduction button that is the easiest I've ever used and I've tried them all from photoshop to microsoft's picture it. I'm still waiting to see what the pros say about the pic quality. But you can't go wrong with a NIKON I'm happy.
jcwhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:24 PM   #13

ZeeTheClown wrote:
Quote:
I'm considering two cameras - the Nikon 5200 and the Sony W1 (pretty much the same camera as the P100, but in a different body). Since I can get either of these cameras at pretty much the same price, they have a similar video mode, and both offer some degree of flexibility in terms of manual settings, it really comes down to picture quality.

Does anyone have any comments about the difference in picture quality between the W1 (or P100) and the Nikon 5200?

Cheers
I am also interested in the Nikon 5200 and the Sony W-1. However, from the prices that I've seen, the Nikon is $499 and the W-1 is $399.

Is the Nikon worth the extra $100? I can't see enough in the specs to justify the cost. I have not yet played with the W-1, but have played with the Nikon and like it.
mixmstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:09 PM   #14

I've been checking prices for the Nikon Coolpix 5200. It lists for $499, but one can get a much better deal than that. I don't know about the Sony. I have the same dilemma, though. I'm considering both the Nikon Coolpix 5200 and the Sony W1. I'd appreciate any comments which would help me make a decision. I'm not a digital expert - most of my experience has been with Nikon (film) SLRs and an Olympus Camedia 3040.
hcm1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:59 AM   #15

Yes we got the package with a generic 256 mb card it works great for pics, stores 89 in the fine mode. When you use it in the high quality video mode it takes the video but it stops after about 15 or 20 seconds. In the medium quality mode it works fine. I 've ordered a Panasonic 256 mb card off of ebay for $72.00, and it should be arriving soon. We had the camera in D.C. yesterday used the whole card up and the battery lased the intire day.
tomandcathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:57 PM   #16

I'm interested in the movie performance of the 5200 (determining factor for me). I compared the movies in Steve's reviews and the 5200 movie looks a lot worse than the Canon powershot A500. I find it hard to believe b/c the 5200 has more frames per sec and the same resolution.

For those of you who have the 5200, are the movies clear and high quality?

Thanks
pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:37 AM   #17

I have the 5200, and I'm new to dgital cameras. if I mainlywant to print 6"x4" prints, should I set the camera on 5 megapixels and normal quality, or 3 megapixels and fine quality. I take my card to the developers to do the printing. Thanks.
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:04 PM   #18

I have played movies back through the TV from my 5200 and the quality was pretty impressive. The audio quality is not quite as good however - but then again this isn't a camcorder.

Speaking as someone with a littleexperience editing camcorder footage on a PC, the clips observed on a PC are always poor - in the same way a 640x480 picture looks poor on a full size monitor. This doesn't explain why it appears worse than the canon sample though -it should be much better. The 30fps the 5200 offers should appear fluid to the eye (>25fps to achieve this), mine certainly does.
LTJOnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 5:27 PM   #19

I have just returned a 5200 to be replaced due poor audio quality on video. An almost constant background static which varied in intensity. At times it was only a background hiss but at others it distorted speech making it difficult to make out. Same fault on the card and internal memory. (Not a wind or background external noise). Interesting enough the same noise could be heard during the start-up tune.

Tartansporran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:21 PM   #20

I have the coolpix 5200, my video is clear ahd sharp and smoooooth. I looked at the cannon sample and you can see the frames jump at 10fps. The 5200 has 30 fps and is much smoother. I haven't had any sound problems like the other people have. Outdoors I get alot of wind sound, but indoors there is no his. You need the Panasonic sd card, it has a transfer rate of 10mb per sec. With standard sd cards the camera will take the video but stop after 15 or 20 secs, and if you keep restarting the video the camera gets warm. It also uses alot of memory. It's great for short clips, but not a camcorder replacement.
tomandcathi is offline   Reply With Quote