Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 27, 2004, 2:16 PM   #1

I purchased a new 8700 to use with the UR-E12 and FC-E9 lens. I've noticed that the circular image is below center by about 40 -50 pixels using the cameras fisheye setting. Coolpix 700 and 990 were centered exactly on my older cameras.

Is this a known issue with the Coolpix 8700 and something I have to live with or is my camera a bad egg? I've seen no other problems with the camera though the 8700 makes my fingers feel fat
Jim LaGraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 5:52 PM   #2

Jim LaGraff wrote:
Quote:
Is this a known issue with the Coolpix 8700 and something I have to live with or is my camera a bad egg? I've seen no other problems with the camera though the 8700 makes my fingers feel fat
This could be a CCD alignment problem. The same problem happened before. Call Nikon and ask for help asap.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 1:02 PM   #3

Thanks Shene for confirming my thought. I just spoke with Nikon Technical support and they said they have never heard of this problem and suspected the lens or adapter. Everything is brand new from Newegg.com so I know nothing has been dropped or dented in any way.

I tried one camera store to see if I could try the lens on another camera but they had no 8700 on display. I'll have to trek across the city and try another store later.

Would I expect to much of Newegg to replace all three affected pieces?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:46 PM   #4

I've tried my FC-E9 / UR-E12 lens on another Coolpix 8700 at the camera store and found the same off center image exists on both cameras.

http://www.welook.com/mac/8700fisheye.jpg

I then tried to rotate the lens out 180degrees to see if the circular image would move to the top of the frame as opposed to the bottom but the circle remained low. It is off center exactly 50 pixels.

iPIX has a bunch of examles online with the same exact combonation at http://208.227.243.34/DEMOS/8700samples/8700nikon/

These examples all look much closer to the center of the ccd. Now that I think I've determined that it's the camera, and more than one camera at that, I don't know what to do. I could have newegg replace them and possibally have the same problem.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5

I'm not sure if anyone's following this thread but since I've finally resolved this problem I thought I'd post Nikon's Response for future reference.

Placement of the cameras CCD is not exact but must fall within Nikon's tolorence. I already knew they don't use all of the pixels on a CCD and with the exception of using a full fisheye lens you would never know the difference with respect to how well the sensor is aligned.

Although my camera's fisheye image is 50 pixels below center in this image http://www.welook.com/mac/8700fisheye.jpg Nikon's tech support states that the mis-alignment is still within spec. To get a camera where the fisheye is perfectly centered like my CP 700 and 990 would be the luck of the draw.

I have a feeling this is why they left out the Fisheye 2 setting in the 8700's menu. F2 on the 990 setting zooms in enough to provide a full frame fisheye image. I can zoom in manually to get the same effect but I have to zoom farther now and I lose about 8 degrees on my final vertacal FOV.

This argues once again for supporting local dealers instead of online vendors. Try before you buy.