Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 30, 2004, 3:34 AM   #1

Nikon Coolpix 3700 does it really have bad audio synch in movie mode and some sites mentions that the movie is limited to either 30 secs or 60 secs of video when running in 30 fps mode ?

I have searched for several cameras and it seems this one has a pretty good movie mode but it seems people are having problem with the audio synching in movies that seems to lag behind sometimes quite abit and it does not seem to have been fixed by recent firmware upgrades either.

And some other seems to not complain at all. Maybe there are different hardware revisions of the Nikon 3700 model.

Another thing i don't like is that the jpegpicturesseems to be under 1mb in size in the finest mode of the camera. When it would be better if they would have double the size as with the olympus cameras c-3x0 series.

I really want a camera that has a good movie mode and take pictures with little noise in them but still highly detailed.

The c770 from olympus have a somewhat soft mpeg4 movie mode and the pictures are somewhat more grainy then i would really like.

The Nikon 3700 with its 30fps M-JPEG 640x480 mode looks fantastic in comparison and its strange that it requires ultra high speed 10mb/s write speed cards to work when its only pushing about 1 mb of data per second to the card even the sandisk ultra 2 sd card don'tquite match this speed only the very expensive panasonic card does.

With a 512 mb card i should be able to film 8 minutes of footage in brilliant quality from such a small camera and that is indeed extremely impressive.

I have looked at the nikon 5200 but i am not impressed with the pictures i have seen. The Nikon 3700 seems to be the better choice although it has somewhat highly compressed pictures.

But i would like to hear more from different nikon 3700 users if they have still problems with audio synching to video.
fusion_400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:37 AM   #2

Hi,

The 3700 has a 'pause' feature in movie mode, which is very nice for conserving memory, but it seems to be what causes the voice synch problem. And, it is annoying - I hope they can fix it. I try to not use pause, unless I am more concerned with the video and not the sound of what I am shooting.

As to Cards, I have a Panasonic 256K and it can fill the card, approx 3.5 minutes. I tried a Dane-elec 256 card and it cut off at around 100 seconds.

My latest batch of pics are around 1 MB, but I can't remember if that was on the best setting, or the 'second best' (more compressed) setting.

Hope this helps.
alph seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:52 AM   #3

Ok so you do not have any problem with Sound synch if you don't use the pause button ?

Do you think the sound is adequate also. And was the indoor video shooting performance much improved after firmware update to version 1.2 ?

How do you rate the CP 3700 camera indoor performance i have seen some really noĆ*sy indoor shots from this camera it seems it has a tendancy to boost ISO to 200 for indoor shots.

I would also appriciate if you could try and take a picture with the setting that gives the least compression and tell me its size.

alph seeker wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

The 3700 has a 'pause' feature in movie mode, which is very nice for conserving memory, but it seems to be what causes the voice synch problem. And, it is annoying - I hope they can fix it. I try to not use pause, unless I am more concerned with the video and not the sound of what I am shooting.

As to Cards, I have a Panasonic 256K and it can fill the card, approx 3.5 minutes. I tried a Dane-elec 256 card and it cut off at around 100 seconds.

My latest batch of pics are around 1 MB, but I can't remember if that was on the best setting, or the 'second best' (more compressed) setting.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:53 PM   #4

I just got my Nikon 3700 and had the same questions as you. Yes there is a synch problem (even without using the pause) with the very highest mode (640x480 at 30 fps) but not at the 320x240 mode (haven't tried any others). I have not tried the pause button yet, so don't know if that really does make it any worse. I have the lastest firmware verse 1.2 and I noticed that people complained about the synch problem with all the versions. I solved synch problem by bringing the clip into iMovie and separating the video and audio tracks and adjusting the starting point just a little bit.

If you set up your camera for the best quality pictures the size of the pictures fall as follows on my first shots:

957 KB - 1 picture
981 to 992 KB - 4 pictures
1001 to 1023 KB - 5 pictures
1.0 MB - 4 pictures
1.1 MB - 8 pictures
1.2 MB - 5 pictures

As far as the ISO setting on indoor pictures taken from 7:30 pm to 8:40 pm, they had the following:

ISO 50 - 9 pictures
ISO 70 - 1 picture
ISO 105 - 1 picture
ISO 117 - 1 picture
ISO 200 - 1 picture (and yes there was a lot of noise in this one)

I really like the camera. It was the best I could find with a 35mm to whatever len with 640x480 at 30fps movies. I definately recommend this camera.

Hope this helps
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:57 PM   #5

The sync problem can be solved with a good high speed (minimum 10MB/sec write time) SD card - this is what Nikon support says. I had the problem with the starter card, but not with the 256MB SimpleTech Pro X SD high speed card (10MB/sec write time). Someone else said they didn't have the problem with the SanDisk Ultra II SD card
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 5:10 AM   #6

Ok great but i saw a site where they always got ISO 200 indoors if it was a long distance shot for example showing a whole living room despite having additional lighting turned on the camera jumped up to ISO 200.

I have also seen indoor video clips from this camera and they show alot of ccd discolouration noise when used indoors if there is not alot of lighting.