Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:39 AM   #1

All of the pictures I have saved in "Nikon Browser" are too big to share on every website I've attempted to send them to.

Is there something I need to do before I take pictures so the files aren't too big or is there something I can do after the picture's already been taken?
Becky0669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:40 AM   #2

You can resize the pictures in post processing using any popuplar softwares such as Photoshop...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 8:51 AM   #3

Becky, if you need a free program to resize your photos you could try Irfanview. It can do other things with your photos too. Have a look, it's free. :-)

http://www.irfanview.com/
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 4:34 PM   #4

I'm a little confused. When I try to upload a picture (here for instance) I get a message that says "file size too big" (something along those lines). Does that mean the picture itself (size wise) is too big? As in having an "8 x 10" but the site will only accept wallet sizedpictures?

Iwas under the impressionthat the data that captures the imageis too big... as in using high definition film vs. polaroid.

Would a separate program fix this either way?
Old Jun 5, 2004, 5:05 PM   #5

If i'm going to attach a photo in this forum I resize it to 640x480 and make sure the filesize is less than 250kb. Just make sure that you make a copy to resize and keep the original safe. :-)Hope this helps, I'm a bit new to all this myself. :-)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 1:21 AM   #6

Sorry - this may be kind of a loaded question so feel free to refer me on - but how do you resize the picture and reduce the file size? Is that something you need a separate program (like the one you referred) to do? As you can see I'm entirely clueless so you're doing good!
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:59 AM   #7

I don't know anything about Nikon Browser but if you read the help file in the program or manual it should tell you how to do it. I only got my camera about two months ago and it's a Canon so i'm using different software to you. :-)
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:01 AM   #8

Becky, I'm using Nikon View 6 (version 6.2.2) on an Apple ac, so this may be very slightly different if you are using a Windows version, but this is how to go about doing it using the Nikon software.

- In Nikon Browser, select the image(s) you want to copy and resize. Note this option keeps the originals, and makes copies.

- From the TOOLS menu, select the option COPY AND RESIZE AS JPEG FILES.

- You should now get a new window witth a slider that you can use to adjust the size of the picture(s) from their original size down to about 160*120 pixels.

- In the second part of the window, you can choose the destination folder where you want the copy to go, and also choose to rename the picture of you wish.

And that's about it.

Following is taken from the Help file in Nikon View. Hope you can now figure it out. I just tried it -- it was relatively painless!

Copy and resize as JPEG file(s)

You can output the image file in JPEG format. In the thumbnails list section, select one or more thumbnails of the image files to be exported, and then select Copy and resize as JPEG file(s) from Tools menu. Copy and resize as JPEG file(s) dialog box will appear. TIFF, NEF and other non-JPEG images files can be converted to JPEG files and changed in image size and compression rate. JPEG files can be changed in image size and compression rate.

Image size

You can define the image size to be exported in JPEG format. Select Keep the original size, Fit to the new fixed frame size, or Apply a fixed reduction ratio to all images from the list box.

Keep the original size

The output image size will not change when select this option.

Fit the new fixed frame size

When this option selected, you can change the output JPEG image size by pixels. Select Small (160x120 pixels) thru Large (1600x1200 pixels) in a slide bar.

Apply a fixed reduction ratio to all images

When this option selected, you can change the output JPEG image size by specific ratio. Select Small (1/25) thru Large (1/4) in a slide bar

Destination folder

The currently specified destination folder is displayed. To change the folder, click Browse button. When the Browse For Folder dialog is displayed, specify a different folder.

Rename file(s)

You can change the output file names collectively when Rename files check box is selected. Click Change to display Rename all files dialog box ( Rename).

Quality settings

Use slide-bar to specify the quality (compression ratio) of JPEG image. High compression ratio will reduce file size however decline quality at the same time. Select Low (high compression ratio, small file size) thru High (low compression ratio, large file size).

Click Run to output JPEG files.

If an image file is output in JPEG format, an ICC profile is added to the file.

About sRGB profile change
When outputting the image file in JPEG format, you can convert automatically the color space of the file to sRGB profile. For more information, see The Color Management Tab (Windows) or The Color Management Tab (Macintosh) of Nikon Browser Preference settings.
johnpritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:22 PM   #9

Let's see if I did it right... I could be dangerous hereknowing how to share pic's - you guys will get sick of me : )
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2004, 6:33 PM   #10

Too cool!!!!! Thank you very, very much! (And look out! There's plenty more where that came from!) I've been wanting to share picturesfor a long time but I didn't know how... this is awesome!

Thanks for going to so much trouble to explain (you must have been writing all morning!). That was perfect - muchos gracias!