Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 13, 2002, 10:43 AM   #1

Default More 5700 and external flash questions

I realize this issue has been discussed here and in the external flash forum, but I need a little more reassurance/information. I appreciate your indulgence and any help you can provide.

I'm not an expert photographer by any means, but I'm a little beyond novice also. I just bought a Nikon 5700. I want to buy an external flash for it.

It seems to me that a high guide number is important, to take advantage of the zoom that the 5700 has. It also seems to me that since the 5700 does not communicate with the external flash, it's important to get a flash with manual power settings to be able to reduce the flash power for closer shooting, especially with a flash with a high guide number. Similarly, it seems like manual zoom is important, for similar reasons.

I've seen commments here that some external flashes do not disable the built-in flash and others do; I certainly want to get one that disables the built-in flash.

With all that in mind, and taking into account what I've already read in this forum, I'm considering the following flashes:
Sunpak 433D
Sunpak 355F
Sunpak 433AF
Sunpak PZ4000AF
Sunpak PZ5000AF
Vivitar 850AF
Vivitar 840AF
Vivitar 730AF
Vivitar 728AF

I spoke to someone at Sigma who told me that Sigma makes no flashes that support the 5700.

I realize several of these flashes have features that cannot be used by the 5700, but it seems like I almost have to buy features I can't use to get the ones that I need.

Having almost certainly exposed my ignorance in this analysis, I'd appreciate any help and advice anyone could give me about which flash units make sense to use with the 5700.

Thanks in advance,
Rodney
RNYerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2002, 12:21 PM   #2

My recommendation to you that you may want to try any of the flashes on your list at the photo dealers, check the results before you decide. Some of them may be compatible with the 5700 some may not 100% compatible, but all of them with work with the camera in manual mode, some in automatic mode. Check your manual for all of the approved list of Nikon speed lights, some of the older version will workwith the 5700 and the price is much lower than the 50DX(the 123 batt is expensive on this one) and 28DX or 80DX (such as the SB-23, use 4 AA batt), as long as the automatic mode will work with the camera, you will not get D-TTL with any of the optional DX flashes anyway...cheers

[Edited on 9-13-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2002, 8:43 PM   #3

re : RNYerby,
we R on the same bandwagon because I am caught between similar dilemas . want :
_1_ 5700's internal flash should NOT pop-up when using external flash,
_2_ auto exposure compatibility w/ 5700,
_3_ auto zoom feature (although not equal focal lengths),
_4_ flash head should turn horizonally AND vertically for bounce .

so regarding your list :
*Sunpak is out, because I have heard from many sources that 5700's internal flash WILL pop up .
*Vivitar 728AF does work ! from several testimonies . however, this model don't allow horizonal swivel of the flash head .

so, I am currently searching for compatibility w/ Vivitar 850AF, 840AF, 730AF ..
I HAVE to search on the .Net because none of my local stores carry Vivitar flashes .
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I've read some of the same testimonials about the Vivitar flashes, and I believe them, but in an e-mail, Vivitar customer support told me that none of their flashes automatically disable the 5700's built-in flash. In an e-mail from Sunpak's American distributor, they told me that the Sunpak PZ4000AF and the PZ5000AF will disable the built-in flash from firing when used in TTL mode, but when used in manual mode, the built-in flash will also fire.

With all this in mind, I'm still not sure what makes the most sense, although at this point I guess I'm leaning toward either the Vivitar 728AF, or one of the two Sunpaks. The Vivitar is not very expensive, so it's not a big risk to try it.

I'd appreciate any other info you uncover, and I'll post whatever I find here.

Thanks,
Rodney
Old Sep 18, 2002, 7:58 PM   #5

Mango,

The internal flash has to pop up, the sensor is on the pop up. The hot shoe is disabled with the pop up down.

From what I've read the camera doesn't support a powered zoom head.

I have tried the Sunpak 433AF and the Vivitar 850AF at the camera store. I was getting inconsistent disabling of the internal flash, but now I think I was at fault by not always checking that the external flash was ready. It felt like it took a long time for the flashes to charge up.

You can disable the internal flash by putting the camera into continuous mode as a last resort.
Ray_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 3:08 PM   #6

Default External Flash Nikon 5700 Sunpak

I had the opportunity to give the N5700 and the SunPak 5000AF an outting last weekend. The 5000 will cut off the internal flash in TTL but the physical flash has to pop up. It will not work the zoom portion of the flash. I did get inconsistant pictures when taking pictures of the awards, I think it is because my trigger finger seems to get in the way of the little white sensor just below the shutter button. Fortunately, I got all the shots, but some of them were way over exposed. The 5000AF uses 4 AA batteries, I took well over 120 flash shots and never dented the MAHA 1800 charge.
With the AA 6 battery pack on the bottom of the N 5700, I averaged well over 140+ shots with a lot of zooming in and out. The camera takes a lot of getting used to over the 990, but I found the viewfinder great because I was in the sun most of the day.
The SunPak 5000AF will completely rotate the head and will articulate. With the battery pack at the bottom, it balanced well on top.
More when I get a better hang of it.

Tejasmed
tejasmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 3:48 PM   #7

Default Thanks for relating your experience

Thanks for relating your experience. I've about decided to buy the SUNPAK PZ-5000AF - it looks to me like the best value for the money, for this camera. I'm interested in anything else you have to say about this before I buy it.

You mentioned "way over exposed." Doesn't the 5000AF have a manual power control in something like 1 EV steps, so that you can manually decrease the amount of light, if you find you're overexposing?

Thanks,
Rodney
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:08 AM   #8

By reading this thread it has helped me focus on a certain flashto use with the 5700, but can anyone tell me what I need exactly to use this or any other flash externally on a bracket or hand held? My Olympus 3030z had a PC Sync connection on it... the Nikon doesnt... are there any hotshoe Adapters so I can have a cord between the camera and the flash... I want to use an L-Bracket and sometimes hold it in my hands... All help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
pimpn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:59 PM   #9

8) I got so frustrated over the pros and cons that I finally ordered the Nikon 50 with SC17 remote cord, StoFen diffuser and a bracket from B&H. It was just delivered to my home, but unfortunately I'm still at work.

It's not a powerful flash and uses special batteries, but I don't use flash much and don't need much power.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochance
8) I got so frustrated over the pros and cons that I finally ordered the Nikon 50 with SC17 remote cord, StoFen diffuser and a bracket from B&H. It was just delivered to my home, but unfortunately I'm still at work.

It's not a powerful flash and uses special batteries, but I don't use flash much and don't need much power.
I too own an sb-50dx and a cp5700. They seem to go well together despite the fact the 5700 does not support the D-TTL or zoom features. I am hoping Nikon will enable support for some of these features in a future firmware release.

I am surprised at the errors I have been reading in some of these replies.

1) The white "bump" below the shutter button is a red-eye reduction/self timer/shot confirmation lamp. It is not a photocell.

2) The internal speedlight must be up for the TTL function to work properly because the photocell is built into the internal speedlight.

3) You can enable/disable the internal speedlight through the internal speedlight menu.

4) Nikon does market a TTL sync cord adapter to use your speedlight on an external mount.

--Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote