Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:16 AM   #11

I bought the SimpleTech Pro X 256 MB card and I still have the sound delay at 640x480, 30fps. I tested with autofocus on and off. I haven't looked to see if there is a firmware upgrade.

I made a movie of me tapping a pen on a desk. I loaded the movie into Premiere to inspect the video and audio frame by frame. There is a nine-frame lag (0.3 seconds).

-Dave
dbrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:53 PM   #12

I just performed the same test and I can't say exactly how many frames it is out of synch, but you are right. I earlier said that it had improved with the SimpleTech Pro X high speed card, but I hadn't done a scientific test like this. I was WRONG! I was just using videos of my daughter and she doesn't speak all that clearly. I am sorry if I misled anyone.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 6:31 PM   #13

No worries, Beverly W. :-) There aren't many posts I can find about this issue, and your insights were useful. I wouldn't even have known to try the SimpleTech card were it not for the discussions taking place here. It's too bad no one seems to have found a solution for this yet. For what it's worth, the card is advertised to provide the kind of write speeds the folks at Nikon say the camera requires. We know the technicians don't have their stories straight yet.

It is still nice that the camera even approaches 640x480 at 30 fps (for $180). With many movies of my son, I can't tell that the sound is off. If I want to fix the sound, I might make a Premiere script that shifts the audio by a few frames. We'll see...

-Dave
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:47 AM   #14

Has anyone tried Kingmax SD card? It should be the fastest secure digital card. 60x and 10Mb/s speed.

Check this forum: http://www.kvpug.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8930

Is 1Gb too much for Nikon 3700? 512 max capasity? Hope not.
mc_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:15 PM   #15

Thanks mc_cool. The URL provides interesting stats supporting the fast write time of the Kinmax Platinum card when used in a Palm. It really does appear to be faster than the others. Hopefully it will be faster than my SimpleTech memory and eliminate the audio lag in movie mode.

I just bought the Kingmax Platinum 256MB SD Card from newegg.com for $36 + 0.99 shipping. I'll follow up here with a description of its performance as soon as I get it.

-Dave
Old Aug 8, 2004, 5:42 PM   #16

The latest firmware upgrade may solve this video problem.

Check this comment: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=20627

But if you gonna do this
do it VERY carefully and read the installation information BEFORE the update. Don't panic.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:42 AM   #17

Unfortunately that is not the solution. I started with that firmware. I guess the problems were worse before the firmware 1.2 update, but I couldn't tell you what they were.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 10:59 PM   #18

dbrogan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks mc_cool. The URL provides interesting stats supporting the fast write time of the Kinmax Platinum card when used in a Palm. It really does appear to be faster than the others. Hopefully it will be faster than my SimpleTech memory and eliminate the audio lag in movie mode.

I just bought the Kingmax Platinum 256MB SD Card from newegg.com for $36 + 0.99 shipping. I'll follow up here with a description of its performance as soon as I get it.

-Dave
I received the Kingmax Platinum 256 MB SD Card I ordered. I observe an 8/9 frame audio lag when measured by analyzing frame-by-frame video of me tapping a pen on a desk. This is the exact same performance I observed with the 256 MB SimpleTech ProX.

Still no solution...

-Dave
Old Aug 12, 2004, 4:33 PM   #19

It's pity that Kingmax made the same thing in your case.
But like everybody knows... there's never too much memory for shooting

I found that many people who use Panasonic's (example Simpletech card) have no problems with video.

Please remember:
Don't use "pause" option.

This is from dpreview forum (3700 video): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9708964
Old Aug 15, 2004, 3:29 PM   #20

Now I think the high speed cards do solve the problem, but put me in the "I'm totally confused" camp. Just how long is a nine frame lag? How many frame lag are people reporting with the original card?

I emailed Nikon regarding my discoloration line problems and gave them a website to look at some of my videos (haven't gotten to the bottom of that problem yet). That site also had my time lag videos on it which they also looked at. They saw no time lag and suggested that I update my sound drivers. My computer is set up to check for and do weekly updates (and I know there has been some major updates) so I reviewed all my old videos again. Here is what I NOW find.

1. There is definately a bad time lag on the oldest slow card video.
2. I now don't think there is a time lag using the high speed card, but not positive.

Timeline update: First I was experiencing the time lag. Then got a high speed card and was sure that the problem was solved. Then I saw the pencil tapping test that reported the high speed card as being 9 frames out of synch. I repeated the test with a pen and taped myself saying "thank you" and thought it out of synch (but couldn't say by how much). I then put my old card in the camera and repeated the pen tapping test and found no difference between the two. I then concluded that the high speed card had not helped.

Could the tests have been a case of finding a problem because you are expecting a problem? I watched myself saying "thank you" in a mirror and see that you form your lips and tongue to make the "th" sound long before you make any sound. The ending of the word "you" is much better place to judge the timing on. The pen tapping test - I just don't know. I don't have good enough software to judge this. Also there is the speed of light vs speed of sound issue to deal with here (speed of sound through air 340 meters per second vs 300 million meters per second for light).

Okay so how do we explain the finding no difference in the high vs low speed cards on the tapping test? Could that be because I had updated my drivers? Would just updating the drivers alone have help in my case? Did the drivers have anything to do with this? I really don't know. I can't do more tests right now since my husband has the camera and he is out of town.