Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:53 AM   #31

I recently purchased a nikon 3700 + kingmax 60x 1gb card. The Kingmax is supposed to be the fastest card there is. Well it doesn't seem to have a problem capturing the video as I'd expect with such a fast card, however as others have reported the audio and video or out of sync by approx 300ms which is very noticeable. I recorded myself counting to 20, your brain easily notices when lips and voice are out of sync. Having tried playback on a variety of pc's and players, there clearly IS a problem with the camera. I mean playback on the camera shows the async anyway! I suspect Nikon need to update the firmware to fix it, instead of pretending it doesn't exist! Were the sd-card not fast enough, you would expect dropped frames not loss of sync.

Actual speed using Sandra benchmark via usb2-cf reader =
8MB/sec sequential write
4MB/sec random write
The Nikon @ 640x480-30fps requires approx 1MB/sec
(it is quoted as 10MB/sec but quoted speeds eh!)

So I don't see the problem with the speed it's at least 4x quicker than required (dunno why Nikon claim 10MB/sec unless its 10Mbit/sec it requires)

mplayer gives no difference for me in playback to any other player. I'm sure they all use the same dll anyway. I also tried it on both pal and ntsc mode to see if that made a difference. Hmmmm now to work on a fix....

While on the subject of the 3700 I noticed about 4 dead pixels on the TFT , BUT also noticed if I take a movie in a dark room (as this shows the problem up much more clearly), you can sometimes see a dead (white) pixel on the actual movie! does anyone else experience this?
Or anyone else have dead TFT pixels?

dtvrecord.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 5:14 PM   #32

well one of the users claim that the models that are made in Japan have no problem of audio/video sync in videos.I also have no problem regarding audio/video sync as i have got a sandisk ultra II 512 Mb card and its working fine.My first model was not made in japan so i was facing audio/video sync.I tried everything but it happens sometimes or most of the time.the only solution is to use a s/w to correct sync using quicktime pro or others.So its seems to be a manufacturing fault or firmware upgradation that is required.What i want to know is there anyone of u who have made in japan model and still facing the audio/video sync problem.
thanks Dtvrecord.com for telling that u can use high speed 1 GB SD cards with this camera.
fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:28 AM   #33

Hmmm. After reading dtvrecord's comment that mplayer didn't solve the problem for him, I made another recording and asked 3 office mates if the audio-video sync were different between QuickTime Pro and Mplayer. All of them said that mplayer was perfectly in sync and Quicktime had a lag.

OK. So, in the spirit of having an honest open test, below is a link to the movie used for the test - it shows a finger tapping a table. Its about 20MB.

http://www.liacs.nl/home/lim/DSCN0059.MOV

My claim is that mplayer from

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/

plays it perfectly in sync.

But, QuickTime Pro (6.5.1) plays it out of sync.

Am I crazy?

Please post your observation of whether mplayer (also please post the version you are using) does play it in sync.

Thanks!
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:03 PM   #34

Yer your file is well out of sync for me. Did more tests today and 640/320/30fps/15fps are all out of sync. I hit a glass full of water with a metal skewer giving a ping that is easier to see than a tap.

I will convert all files recorded on 3700 to xvid and move audio forward 9 frames in future, that is as good as it gets until/if Nikon update the firmware.

A good test is to record a video and play it back on your tv via the camera. On a bigger screen it's easier to see the desync. I'm convinced it's an issue that Nikon need to fix. Maybe some files/ poeple may not notice it as 300ms may slip past you if you're not looking for it.

BTW Anyone else have dead pixels on their camera tft ?
dtvrecord.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 4:50 PM   #35

Extreme. Thx for your tip!

MPlayer ver1.0pre5 plays ur file perfectly in-sync.

Quicktime puts in a 9 frame delay.

I note that dbrogan also saw a greater delay with Quicktime in this thread.
dtvrecord prolly has a screwed up system or an old version of mplayer or quicktime.
yin.zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:28 PM   #36

well two of the users at nikon 3700 groups at yahoo mention that after upgrading the drivers of their computer and by using the 1 Gb cards of lexar(32 x ,although the speed is not mention on the card) and Kingmax(60 x),their audio/video problem has gone which they are experiancing with this camera.u can also check urself at Yahoo 3700 group.
fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:19 AM   #37

fsc1 wrote:
Quote:
well two of the users at nikon 3700 groups at yahoo mention that after upgrading the drivers of their computer and by using the 1 Gb cards of lexar(32 x ,although the speed is not mention on the card) and Kingmax(60 x),their audio/video problem has gone which they are experiancing with this camera.u can also check urself at Yahoo 3700 group.
I'm the one with the 1GB Kingmax 60x card over at Yahoo and I had gotten rid of the sound lag problem before getting the 1GB card. I'm not sure what caused my problem to go away. I have upgaded the drivers on my computer and gotten several high speed cards. Now ALL of my cards work just fine - including the slow starter card that came with the camera. The original videos still have a time lag when played with my QuickTime Player.

I JUST thought of something else that has changed. When I first got this camera, I couldn't figure out how to transfer the pictures over to the computer. I would open the "no name" volume, drill down to the movies and then drag the movies onto my computer hard drive. Then someone told me to just use the software "Image Capture" that is included on the iMacs. Well I just stopped and ran a test with my new card using the old way of transfering the movie and it worked fine. Unfortunately my old starter card is not easily available anymore. I gave it away since I wasn't going to use it anymore (too small). I could try to get it back though for testing purposes if anyone wants me to.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:02 PM   #38

Thanks for your posts on this video problem.

I wanted to confirm that in determining that you have fixed the video sync problem that you were testing using the tapping test and not watching people talking.

I also wanted to confirm that you confirmed the fix by playing it back on the camera, not through a computer.

I'm a recent purchaser of the 3700 and it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. I do see the video lag using a tapping test using the original 16 MB card. However, I can't see the lag when doing normal video of my kids, so I can see how some people might think it was working or not working depending on what kind of video they were shooting. So I think the only valid test is to use the tapping test. I videoed tapping a ruler on a desk and you can't miss the sync problem with this test.

The sync problem could be potentially fixed by drivers on the playback PC, so that is why I want to find out if you tested the camera playback. I want to transfer my videos from my camera directly to my camcorder, so the sync has to be fixed in the camera.

If you did fix the problem and verified it though the tapping test on the camera playback, then it seems that it is possible to fix the problem, but that fix is mysterious. Maybe it just fixes itself if you mess around with it enough????
Franklin H is offline   Reply With Quote