Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 14, 2004, 7:44 PM   #1

I have just viewed some forums that say that they are not experiencing any sound lag problems in the 640x480 30 fps mode, but that they are using the high speed SanDisk Ultra II card. I just received a 256 MB SimpleTech Pro X high speed SD card and now don't know if I want to open it or not.

Those with SimpleTech Pro X high speed SD card - do you have the sound lag problem in the best movie mode? Did you have the problem with the starter card? What is the capacity of your card?

Those with the SanDisk Ultra II card - do you all agree that there is no sound lag in the best movie mode? How about when you use your starter card? What is the capacity of your card?

How about any other high speed cards?
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:09 PM   #2

I contacted Nikon and they told me that to avoid the audio / video synchronization problem in the 640x480 at 30 fps TV movie mode, I would need a good high speed card with write abilities of at least 10MB/sec. I then tried the Nikon 3700 camera with the SimpleTech Pro X 256MB high speed card (a 10MB/sec SD card) and sure enough my synch problem has gone away. No more audio lagging behind the video.

Nikon should make this obvious from the start. I almost didn't buy this camera due to this "problem" that isn't a problem if you use a good high speed SD card. Most people who would be interested in filming at this resolution would want to be able to film for more than 10 seconds anyway, so why not be up front about it and just tell people that you need it for the correct sync and to have the ability to tape to the memory capacity of the card.

I am now extremely pleased with this camera and fully recommend it to everyone (especially students due to the voice recording ability).
Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

I read on a dutch site that the problem is still very noticable on Sandisk Ultra II cards and Panasonic sd cards.

So you got lucky with your Simpletech X card.

So even the cards that Nikon recommends doesn't work properly in this mode.
fusion_400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Was the Panasonic card the high speed one or the normal one? I had seen someone say they didn't have the problem with the SanDisk Ultra II card, but I notice that that card is suppose to "only" be 9x for writing and Nikon said in the email to me that I would need a 10x write speed (however they also told me the page number in the manual for cards that had been tested and the SanDisk Ultra II was listed there I'm pretty sure - manual not handy right now). I wonder if with the 9x write speed that the synch is improved enough that other person thought it had fully been solved while someone else with a more discerning eye would say that there was still a problem?
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:01 PM   #5

Panasonic only have highspeed 10mb/s writespeeds for SD cards here in Sweden. The sandisk Ultra II should write at 60x speed. But still people are having problems and its the main reason why i have resisted to buy this camera because i want the 640x480 30fps mode to work really well. Its in my opinion the main selling point for this camera that you can get a really good video function in a small package. That is even somewhat better then the lowest priced minidv camcorders when it comes to only picture quality if you don't take into account the image stabilisation and such stuff.

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
Was the Panasonic card the high speed one or the normal one? I had seen someone say they didn't have the problem with the SanDisk Ultra II card, but I notice that that card is suppose to "only" be 9x for writing and Nikon said in the email to me that I would need a 10x write speed (however they also told me the page number in the manual for cards that had been tested and the SanDisk Ultra II was listed there I'm pretty sure - manual not handy right now). I wonder if with the 9x write speed that the synch is improved enough that other person thought it had fully been solved while someone else with a more discerning eye would say that there was still a problem?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:42 PM   #6

Opps, I was remembering the SanDisk Ultra speed not the Ultra II speed. I haven't looked at the Panasonic cards so I don't know what they have as available speeds.

I too felt that the movie mode was one of the BIG selling point for this camera. After filtering for all my other requirements (like minimum of 35mm for wide angle and good quality photos / movies), I was left with just this camera on my list. With the $100 rebate available in the States, I decided to risk buying this camera dispite the problem with synch. I made sure I got the camera at a place that would take returns without a fuss or a recharging fee. Before buying my high speed card, I could manually correct the synch problem by splitting the audio and video. I am just glad that my high speed card solved this problem.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 11:32 AM   #7

Correction - The SanDisk Ultra II is 60x, but the WRITE speed is only 9MB per second. Not even sure if there is a SanDisk Ultra vs Ultra II. I should have written that you need 10 MB per second and not asked if those cards were 10x (should have written 10MB/sec). Hope I didn't confuse anyone
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:10 AM   #8

Yes and the Panasonic sd card has 10mb/s but still can't keep up with the Nikon 3700 camera. It's amazing since the actual datatransfer to the card per second is 1,1mb/s almost 1/10th of the limitation of the card and still it can't keep up.

Something is seriously wrong here.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:52 PM   #9
Administrator

fusion_400 wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic only have highspeed 10mb/s writespeeds for SD cards here in Sweden.
Only larger cards are 10mb/second. The smaller (< 256mb) cards are much slower fromall 3Secure Digitalmanufacturers (Sandisk, Toshiba and Panasonic are the "big 3" SD manufacturers, with others using them as OEM source for their SD components).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:47 PM   #10

That's very strange, because I read somewhere that SimpleTech cards are Panasonic cards that just have the name "SimpleTech". But fusion_400 wrote that h read on a Dutch site that also Panasonic cards don't work. But if the SimpleTech card works, the Panasonic also has to be good.
@fusion_400: could you tell me where you read that thing about Panasonic.
Well, I am very confused and hopefully someone can help me.
Kili is offline   Reply With Quote