Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:48 AM   #1

Default Coolpix 5700 vs. Dimage 7Hi

Hello all,

since Minolta surprised the market with the new Dimage 7Hi, which is a direct competitor to the Coolpix 5700 what would be the recommendations from you knowledgeable guys?

Based on the info available, I thing that the cameras are pretty similar generally. However, there are two things that bother me about Coolpix 5700: motorized zoom (battery eater, it can keep zooming more than manual zoom) and proprietary battery type; other characteristics are very similar to Dimage 7Hi.
Imho, I like the manual focus. It gives better feel and control. Also, you can buy the NiMH AA batteries for 7Hi anywhere (true, you can buy the MB5700 external battery pack, and put 6 AA batteries there, but it's an additional $150).

I know that all cameras in Dimage series are serious battery consumers; so one should always have a spare set available. That is true also for Coolpix 5700.
7Hi also has a good JPEG compression 2.5:1 and big buffer.

Minolta will also be more expensive than 5700.

Having said all this, I would be very grateful to you guys if you can provide some insights about which one to choose.

Cheers, Woyna
woyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 6:57 AM   #2
NHL

Woyna

You pretty much got the idea... The D7i is $300-400 cheaper than the D7Hi, if you don't care for silver or the 5 raw pictures @ 3fps! BTW you'll need a microdrive for this (which will be a limiting factor for the EN-EL1 as well)

Remember the D7s also has TTL flash with external unit (and the flash head moves with the focal lenght on the zoom ring) as well as multi-units wireless flashes over the 5700! In my opinion the real-time histogram used in conjuction with the filter thread for the polarizer is hard to beat in any digicam! Check out the histogram/circular polarizer section:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...e7_firmup.html

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 8:27 AM   #3

There are other issues:

1. size and form factor

5700 is a lot smaller and "cleaner"

2, 8x zoom vs 7x (5700 better)

3. 28mm wide angle on 7hi

4, flexible LCD on 5700 vs less flexible viewfinder on 7hi

(this is a big issue for me).

I agree the battery issue is a real one, though the 5700 /c its battery add on is about the size of 7hi.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 9:32 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
BTW with respect to weight the 5700 is indeed lighter, 16.9 vs 17 ounces for my D7!

The external dimensions are quite similar too @ 4.3x3x4 vs 4.6x3.6x4.5, also varying wether the battery grip or the tulip lens shade is attached. It's like splitting hair except for the color of course...(that polarizes everyone)
http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...id=2329&page=2
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 11:24 AM   #5

there are many more issues
1 strobe capability/versatility
2 speed of AF
3 low light capability
4 filter handling
5 manual zoom VS push button

with all due respect to you the 7hi is no competition to a 5700 or even to my 7i. they took the next step that no other company has. they made it way more useable than these others in action situations. just by ridding the camera of 640x480 was a start. total waste. finally putting an almost decent size buffer in it was the next step. tweaking up the processor puts them on the right track. ok they finally caught up on color BLACK. to me worth the extra money if your going to use the speed improvements. if your a one shot person, no.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 12:00 PM   #6

Woyna!

The issue about which camera to buy has been discussed A LOT OF TIMES IN THE FORUMS before. The final conclusion was always the same:

Contact your dealer and ask to try both the camera you have in mind. Fell, smell, try a.s.o and you will sooner or later be able to decide which camera to buy.

Buying a camera is NOT just about facts/price - it about LOVE, some would say, wouldnt they SJMS! He he.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 2:26 PM   #7

I agree with Klaus.

The obvious decision is to buy the 5700 because the name Nikon will impress more people than the name Minilta. Minilta sounds like a little geishawhile Nikon sounds like the name for a powerful samurai.

Another serious matter is the shape of the two cameras. The Nikon is shaped like a beautiful woman, all its curves are in the right places! The Minilita looks like it was assembled by the folks who built the Yugo! As a fashion statement there is NO comparison.

Finaly, there is the war against terrorism. In these dayas one should ask whether you would rather buy a camera made by Americans than one made by some secretive group calling itself "Minilita?" Who is this Minilta group anyway?
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 3:41 PM   #8

klaus dk- your getting a little old for this aren't you? and what does love got to do with it. technically you do know which one is better. hee hee hee.

but your right about the a-b comparison. play with them both at the same time.

remember a true a-b is looking over the long term. thats cost for additional parts to make them equal in operation and your needs.

steves- have we been in the wine cellar today? that last set of statements made for some interesting reading.

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 14, 2002, 4:44 PM   #9

Cheers Steves: Ohhh, youre sooo right! Feels good to have an allied Nikanon fan! He he.

And to my old arguing MINILTA buddy SJMS rocking in the wrong neighbourhood - the Nikon Forum - read this:

You wrote: " technically you do know which one is better".

I do! Because its not a matter of HOW MUCH YOU CAN DO - BUT HOW GOOD YOURE AT IT!" THAT WHY I CHOOSE CP5700.

It seems to me you have at hard time trying to convince people IN THE NIKON FORUM to buy a Minolta. Shouldnt you instead try to calm people in the Minolta forum about the noise in their photos. I saw NHL had a hard time doing so!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 4:47 PM   #10

yeh klaus, but i know how much it can't.

you delude yourself