Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:00 PM   #1

Guys,

I actually do a lot of testing of Digicams.

I took the Nikon 5200 for a spin two weeks ago and much to my surprise after shooting over 100 pictures and shooting the exact same pictures with a Sony DSC-W1 and a Sony DSC-P100 found the Nikon to have severe color problems in the red area.

What is amazing is thepictures of Steves review show the problem but it was not mentioned..

You guys do a great job of reviewing but I don't see you taking the Cams and developing pictures and comparing them liek we are doing.

Take a look at the Sample pics at the end of Steves Review. The Girl looks red and burned. I experienced the same thing when I did my evaluation of this cam.

People's skin tones are aweful and yet the review says the cam is great.

The Cam is not great and Nikon should address this immediately.

The Sony's colors are much much better !

This review should be updated so people don't go and waste their money.

Tmax
Theatermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:52 PM   #2

I purchased a coolpix 4200 one week ago. I like the compact size, the handgrip, fast startup, fast shot-shot time, scene modes, auto red eye reduction, etc. However, I noticed that the flesh tones are noticably pinker than normal. I have been able to make software corrections, but don't really want to be bothered.

Given the mixed reviews for virtually every other 4MP point and shoot camera, I'm undecided about returning the Nikon. The Canon S410 was my second choice, but has slower shot to shot time, no scene mode, etc. Any advice?
milals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:37 PM   #3

Yeah, I have noticed the same pinkish / red problem with the 5200 - esp. on skintones. Like everybody else, the camera is great in just about every area except the excessive lens distortion at wide angle and the flesh tone / red problem, which I haven't been able to correct with any setting of the camera. Odd thing is, only SOME shots have this problem. FWIW, I also got a Sony P100 to try out, and it has virtually perfect skintones, but the flash is pretty weak and the ergonomics are terrible - you always feel like you are about to drop it...

- Chris
iamjcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:28 PM   #4

Sounds like the old 885 firmware problem that they NEVER corrected???
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 7:12 PM   #5

I have to say, having had the camera for a few days now, I haven't noticed that in my pictures. However, I've only taken pictures of people in the dark with the flash. Perhaps it's a problem only seen during daylight photography
plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:42 PM   #6

Hi,

I've got this camera for two weeks now, and I don't have the problem of the red flesh tones. I think you have to set the white balance correctly when you use the flash.

For me this is a perfect camera, it's fast, accurate and small. The fact that the sony w1 had no manual white balance setting and some indoor color issues was for me the reason not to buy it.
Garret14 is offline   Reply With Quote