Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1

Hi,

I see there are a lot of auctions on Ebay for lenses and lens converters for the Nikon Coolpix 8700. There is the Telephoto, Wide-Angle and Fisheye lens. If I do decide to buy one of these, I will definitely stick with the Nikon brand since I bought some other brand lenses beforefor an older 35mm camera and the quality with the lenses where poor. So much that I never used it if you want any kind of high quality /sharp pictures. Any other views on this out there?

Is there anybody out there that has the Nikon Wide-Angle lens and use it with this camera. How is the quality with it, and does it make the picture round in the corners. That's the problem I found with these lenses, you fit in more on the photo, but it's kind of all very obvious on the photo that a wide angles is used because of the round corners. Do these lenses do the same?

Also how is the handling of the camera with the lens on ?

Regarding filters, what is recommended and why?

Thanks

Jaco:?

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:31 PM   #2

You might consider a brighter font as your posting is hard to read on these older eyes. I bought the HN-CP11 Lens hood for my 5700 along with the 77mm Nikon Filter set and love both of them. If you look for a 77mm Nikon Circular Polarizer you will see it goes for pretty much the same price as the Nikon 4 filter set, so you may as well get all four filters. The UV may not have as much effect as on a film camera, but it still protects the lens, and the ND 4 & 8 have already been very usefull for shallowing depth of field. I also bought the Nikon 1.5X extender and am very happy with my 420mm lens. Hope this helps.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 9:02 AM   #3

Shortly after purchasing my 8700, I did the same thing as Jim1957 and purchased the Nikon HN-CP11 lens hood and the 77mm filter kit for the same reasons he did. I agree, the filters are a great deal and am very pleased with them. I am also very happy with the lens hood as it produces absolutely NO vignetting at any zoom length including full wide angle.

As far as an add-onwide angle conversion lens, I was pretty much set to go with the Nikon WC-E80 but read in several forums thatit producedsome pretty noticable barrel distortion at the edges. I ended up getting a Raynox DCR-6600PRO and it's matching adapter because it appears that Raynox has pretty much addressed the barrel distortion issue with this lens. Nikon is noted for sharpness and clarity in their lenses and I was concerned with that in the Raynox as well. I'm happy to say that the 6600PRO seems to be as sharp as I would expect from the Nikon.

In regards to the tele lens, I am torn between the Nikon 1.5x tele and the new Raynox DCR-2200PRO 2.2x. The 2200PRO is the equivalent of a 610mm lens and the Nikon is the equivalent of a 420mm lens so you can get a little closer with the Raynox but I don't know how much of a differencethere would actually be when comparing images from both lenses. The Nikon tele is readily available but the Raynox is pretty tough to get right now and runs bout $40-50 more than the Nikon. It's a new lens and supply is minimal. From what I've read, both the Nikon and Raynox are sharp and clear although both will show some vignetting if the zoom is not extended out fully. Maybe Jim1957 could let us know if he's experiencedthat condition withhis 1.5x?

And no offense, but I agree with Jim1957 about the font color in the first post. It's tough on us old guys and if 1957 is Jim's birth year, I have a few more on him andcan sympathize with him! :-)

Gampa
gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 9:12 AM   #4

Oh, one more thing. Be VERY careful about what you see offered, whether on eBay or not. The old adage "You get what you pay for" is very true. If you are interested in a lens, or anything for that matter, research the manufacturer, the seller, visit the photo forums and see what others have to say about the product. I had never heard of Raynox before but found them through an auction on eBay. I did extensive research before I made my purchase and am happy.I know peoplewho didn't do their home work and got inferioroptics and don't even use them anymore. A shame and a waste of money. Research, research, research!

Gampa
gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:56 PM   #5

Ok guys - sorry about the font - did not realized until afterwards - I set it to yellow now so hopefully everybody can read it now !

Update on my situation - I bought the Nikon Telephoto 1.5 lens for my camera and I am very happy with it, very clear and no distortion. You have to zoom out to max - but if you set the Lens to telephoto the camera does that automatically for you.

Thanks for the warning about you get what you pay for - especially on ebay. There are a lot of lenses and filters out there but some the makes I have never heard of. I learned my lesson once before, never again.

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:12 PM   #6

Hi jaco,

If you aren't aware of it, go and have a read of CK's site. Excellent information on lense adaptors for the 5700, which will similarly all fit the 8700. Based on his advice on this site I got the Coolfix variable adaptor and its great as you can slide it back and forth with the telephoto in place and so get a much wider range of usable zoom without vignetting. ie when its slid all the way out its the same as the nikon mount but when you zoom back you slide the mount back (its just held in place with a rubber ring-friction) so that your bringing the telephoto adaptor back too.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

I also got the Olympus TCON17 based on his advice and it works brilliantly too, but you'll beright with the Nikon one.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:15 PM   #7

Forgot, I use the coolfix variable adator with 62 mm filters. They screw right into the end of it. Again, because it readily slides back and forwards you can avoid vignetting when at the wide end of zoom by sliding the adaptor back. The filters will not hit the camera lense when the adaptor is fully extended either.

So I leave the adaptor on all the time with a UV filter (to protect lense) and then just fit the step down ring and TCON when want extra zoom.

Great piece of gear for anyone with a 5700 or 8700 imho!

Paul
Paul_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote