Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Wide angle for 5700 anyone?

Hi all, I am now the proud owner of the 5700 (3 days) and am VERY pleased with it. I have traded up from a 2.3 mp Ricoh so it is quite a jump!

Can anyone advise on wide angle lens adaptors - if you have the Nikon one or another brand and what you think of it? I only know of the Nikon one but in the UK it is about 140 UK pounds........ouch

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I have had a look but could not see subject) I am wanting to use initially for indoor/room shots (properties) if this makes a difference.

Next purchase (waiting for Transcend 256mb C/F to arrive in post) will be alternative battery power

Thanks,

Rich.
Rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2002, 6:48 PM   #2

I'm saving my pennies. I will get the nikon wide angle adapter as soon as I have the bread.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2002, 11:46 PM   #3
Administrator

I think you'd be unhappy with other than a Nikon lens. The rest are generic, the Nikon lens has been made to match the 5700's optics. I've tried some of the "other" lenses on Nikons and they just aren't as good. Mostly edge distortion and an overall blurring of the image and visible chromatic abberation.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:53 PM   #4

Steve, thanks for the advice........which I intend taking I did a bit more searching on net and have found it 20 cheaper which seems a good deal.

The only other aftermarket offering I came across was 'Raynox'(think thats how its spelt).....although I didn't see the CP5700 listed the other lenses were about 80..................an extra 40 for the Nikon doesn't seem too bad

Once again thanks for advice.

Rich.
Rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 7:03 AM   #5

Default wide angle only .8x

The problem with Nikon's wide angle lens for my 5700 is that it's only .8x ... not worth the bother! I'm still looking for a better one. Anybody got any suggestions?
TravPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 4:45 PM   #6

You're not going to like this answer, but the best wide angle for the CoolPix 5700 is the CoolPix 5000. Both can be considered halfs of a two camera system. The strength of the 5700 is it's long zoom range and optional telephoto which brings it to 420mm. The strength of the 5000 is that it gives you a wide angle lens of 19mm with the accessory lens or 28mm with it's built in lens. Consider that the size of the CoolPix 5000 is smaller and lighter than the wide angle adapter for the 5700.

Larry Berman
Larry Berman is offline   Reply With Quote