Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:05 PM   #1

I'm considering purchasingthe MB-E5700 battery pack for my 8700 andwould like some useropinions, positive or negative. I'm not happy with the battery life of the stock batteries and am looking to get more shooting time before I have to pop in new ones. What kind of AA batteries would you recommend to use in it? Does the battery pack make the camera much heavier? Is there a threaded hole in the pack to mount to a tripod? Any opinions and recommendationswould be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gampa
gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:07 AM   #2

Hi Gampa,
I have that Battery pack on My 8700 and really like it. It adds a shutter release button and a zoom rocker switch that makes taking vertical photographs a pleasure. It does have a tripod socket on the bottom.It will use 6 "AA" batterys that will sdd a little weight but it will add it in the proper place and actually balance the camera better then You can imagine. I use rechargable batterys I purchased from the radio shack and I bought a Rayovac charger that will charge 8 "AA's" at a time.Radio shack also sells a charger that will do 8 "AA's" at a time. I have 12 batterys that I dedicate to the camera and 8 I use for My 28DX flash.(It uses 4) and I have the others for replacements if needed.
It is A very good accessory that is well worth it to Me. It also makes the camera very easy to hold and use. Also looks good.
I also use A nikon UR-E8 Adapter with A Bernies lens hood that really looks great and will protect the lens from bumps.
One thing good about the "AA" batterys is they can be purchased anyplace in the world if needed in a pinch.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:35 PM   #3

Ronnie,

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the input. And thanks for the photo. Greatrig!It gives me a good idea of what the pack actually looks like on the camera and pretty much settled it for me to get one.

I'm right handedand have developed a tremor in that hand over the last few years. When I put pressure on it, like squeezing something or pressing on a shutter release, my hand starts to shake and, obviously, the photos come out pretty blurry. I primarily bought the 8700 over a DSLR because of the smaller size of the 8700 and I could reach the shutter release with my left hand and use my right to only steady the camera. Tough getting old, I'll tell ya. I was concerned that the battery pack would make my situation worse but it actually looks like it will be an aid and not a detriment.

I have the Nikon HN-CP11 lens hood on my 8700 and love it. Because I have to use my left hand so much, the hood really helps to keep my hand away from the buttons on the left side. Before I put the hood on I was constantly hitting them, but no more.

One more thing... Is that a tripod quick release you have on and if so what brand is it? Something else I've been considering but haven't been able to check any of them out in person as yet.

Again, I appreciate your input and assistance.

Gampa

Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:05 PM   #4

Hi Gampa,
I use the Hasselblad Quick Release. I had to modify the knob to clear the camera. It stays on My carbon fiber tripod. The part of the Hasselblad Quick release that stays on the camera only weighs about 1/2 ounce and is small and flat. The part that stays on the camera is Hasselblad part#45148 quick coupling plate S. I always used this on My F4's and I Had two Hasselblads.
Like You, I have some severe health problems that forced Me to change My Photographic lifestyle. I got the 8700 because of the light weight and of course the 8MP resolution and reach of the lens plus the Quality of the lens. It does more then I had hoped for. I do Family Portraits and Pet photographs at My house and print on My Epson 1280 printer. The large resolution allows Me to crop and still have perfect color and photographs all the way up to 13" by 19" I use a Nikon 28DX flash on the camera and A Nikon SB26 slave flash on another tripod for fill or hair light.(depends on the situation)for the Portraits. For pet Photo's I just use the DX28 and shoot a million pictures in the back yard.This is A great picture making machine that I wish I had 20 years ago instead of lugging around all of that Hasselblad stuff. It actually does a more effeciant job and You get instant results. I have no problem with noise or any color fringing.I think the people that complain about that stuff just don't shoot with one of these cameras. I usualy keep My ASA at 100 all of the time. I have never needed to go any higher in the real world.
I could not get the Nikon HN-CP11 hood when I got My camrea. Is it worth using over what I have? I think the only other thing I will need is the WC-E80 wide angle converter lens.
These typs of cameras are not designed to shoot fast action sports but they still are good for a amature dad's shooting their Kid's soccer games or something like that.
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:39 PM   #5

Ronnie,

I opted for the HN-CP11 hood because it accepted 77mm lenses. I wanted the protection the hood gives but also wanted to be able tokeep a UV filter on. Your hood looks perfectly fine and I wouldn't switch it unless it doesn't accept filters and you want that option.

I was all set to get the Nikon WC-E80 wide angle converter lens but read several reviews that said it had pretty noticable barrel distortion. That's okay with a fisheye but not with a wide angle. I ended up getting a Raynox DCR-6600PRO wide angle conversion lens. I had never heard of Raynox before but all of the reviews I found said that Raynox had pretty much addressed the barrel distortion issue with this lens. So, I got one and am happy with the results. Verticals are vertical and horizontals are horizontal from edge to edge. Nikon is known for their sharp optics and theRaynox lensappears to be as sharp and clear as I would have expected from the Nikon. Here's where I got mine from: http://www.2filter.com/kenko/Kenkodigital.html

You need an adapter tube with this lens (but you need one for the Nikon, too) and I made sure I got an actualRaynox adapter, RT5253NW, madespecifically for the lens and not an adaptermade bysomeone else. When all was said and done, thecost was about $50 cheaper than if I had gone with the Nikon and I'm happy with what I got.

You're right, this camera is not designed for sports or action, but it takes great scenics and still lifes that reproducewith outstanding resultson my Epson 2200.So, since I'm not into a whole lot of action photography, the camera serves me well.

Once again, thanks for your response. I ordered the battery pack late yesterday and hope to see it either Saturday or next Monday.

Gampa
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:04 AM   #6

Just a follow up to the previous post. I'vebeen usingmy newMB-E5700 battery pack for several weeks now and for me it's a godsend.While it adds some weight, I find it also adds more stabilty and actually makes the cameramore comfortableto hold.

Aftershooting for a while Ikeep looking at the battery icon in the monitor expecting it to show a low charge but am amazed at how much longer the rechargable PanasonicAA's I bought last compared to the stock Nikon LiIons I'd been using. The pack takessix batteries at a time and I boughteighteenfiguring I'd need them. I don't. Twelve would have been plenty, six in camera while six recharge. I also picked up afairly compactPanasonic charger thatwon't take up much room if I have to pack it in my camera bag when I travel.

The MB-E5700 has a shutter release and zoom switch designed for use when shooting verticallythat I thought I wouldn't use but find myself operating the zoom on the pack with my right hand thumb and the shutter release on the camera body with my left hand index finger. I guess this might sound kind of funky but it works great for me. I've read that some people don't like the feel of the shutter release button on the battery pack and I know now what they are talking about. The shutter release on the camera is two steps and you can really feel them. The shutter release button on the battery pack is also two steps but the stepsare not as defined as what you feel with the on camera button. The two steps are there but you don't get that defined "click" feel when pushing the button.

The battery pack has turned out to be thebest and most usefulaccessory I've purchased to date.

Thanks for all of your help, Ronnie.

Gampa

Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:37 AM   #7

Hi Gampa,
As I have been saying all along.
The people that complain about the noise on the 8MP camera's do "Not" own one.
It is the same thing with the MB-E5700 battery pack. The people that don't like it, just Do "not" use one. If they did, They would just love it.
This is a great accessory for the 8700 and should be a standard feature of this camera because it feels and functions so well.