Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:10 AM   #1

Default Lowest price for Nikon Coolpix 5700

What is the lowest price paid by anyone for the Nikon Coolpix 5700

Thanks in adv.

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:03 PM   #2

Default If the price looks too good to be true...

I was able to find it for $740.00 ($800 including overnight shipping) from digitalliquidators.com.

"WOW! What a great deal" I thought and I ordered TWO of them. I figured I would keep one and sell the other on eBay for a quick $100 profit.

Later that day I got an email from digital liquidators customer service department. They wanted me to call to verify my order.

I was thinking that they probably wanted to check to verify that I actually wanted two cameras. Oh No... not even...

They wanted to know why I didn't order any accessories. I told'em I've got lots of CF and an external flash and other stuff and all I was looking to upgrade was the camera.

He asked... "Your positive you don't want to order a battery, charger, or LENS CAP?"

"wha?" I told him I had researched the camera and I thought I was ordering everything that comes in the box from Nikon.

He said... "Oh... you should have ordered the Nikon Coolpix 5700 _KIT_" The KIT comes with the original box, battery, charger, instruction manual, etc....

"How much is that?"

"$1140"

"How about we cancel my order"

"Ok sir... Thank you"

I never did get any notification from them that my order was cancelled and I had to call American Express to check that my card wasn't billed.

Moral to the story... If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Next I researched what they were selling for on eBay by doing a search for 5700 auctions that had already ended.

I found a few 5700s that had sold for $895-$925 but some were grey-market with no US warranty. There were also some SCAMMERS who were running eight or ten auctions at once. They had very low feedback numbers. When you looked at their first few feedbacks they were glowing positives... then a few more later were SCAM WARNINGS from folks who wire-transfered money and never got a camera. That was enough to spook me from buying an auction cam.

I ended up down at the local store paying full retail. $1198.00

Yes... I could have got a better deal online but I feel it was worth it to buy in person somewhere where I could return it if I needed to. (and it turns out I had to return the first one due to a couple of hot pixels)

Buyer Beware out there... There are mean people who would love to rip you off.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 9:07 AM   #3

Default Got mine for $910, plus tax/shipping,US warrantied @Stop4

also, had to do a LOT of searching 10 days ago to find this price.

[Edited on 9-18-2002 by Shy1]
Shy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:01 AM   #4

Default I paid $1079 Total from ritzcamera.com

The price was $1199 for the camera and all included accessories, free shipping, and no sales tax plus you got 10% back in store credit with a promo code I found on fatwallet.com (not there anymore ... expired). I had the camera for 45 days and something in the software went wrong and they replaced it free of charge in 3 business days. The only cost I had was the shipping back to Ritzcamera.com.
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:50 AM   #5

Has anyone ordered from Bilibi? Their price is $819 + tax (in NY only) + Shipping ($20). USA warranty included. Any info on this place would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Lozlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:32 PM   #6

Default SCAM SCAM SCAM

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2358.html
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 3:26 PM   #7

Hey pbs,
Thanks for the tip on the reseller rating site. Much appreciated. Bilibi is CRAP!
Lozlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2002, 4:52 PM   #8

While I normally buy at B&H, I got my 5700 from IBuy for $958. Service was great. Previous experience with this seller with an Oly E-20 was also very good.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 1:14 AM   #9

I went to my dealers and I got it for USD$800 plus upgrade on 256 memory card and additional nikon battery. The service in Malaysia is pretty good and I was given a tutorial (2 days ) on how to use my camera. No, the guy who sold me the camera wasnt a friend. He is now though!
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 3:40 AM   #10

Sassalyn,
You bought the 5700 in Malaysia or in the USA ?
Does the equipment carry the manufacturer warranty.
thanks in adv.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote