Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:33 AM   #11

I didn't think to mention this earlier but its probably not a good idea to open the images on the card with anything other than the camera. You're better off copying the images to your hard drive _then_ opening them. Sometimes image viewing software will create hidden directories for various things and if the CF card is full this can create problems.

By making a copy of your images FIRST you've got something to fall back on if there is a problem.

I'm paranoid about losing images. One of my computers at home (an old beater) is used as the image server. When I'm ready to get pictures out of the camera I insert the CF card into the image server. On that machine I've got a script that copies all the images to the hard drive and then copies all of them to my personal workstation.

If both of the copy operations finish error free it erases the CF card. If it has trouble with either one of the copies then it leaves the images on the card.

Every few months I burn CDs of the images stored on the image server as well as the edited images on my personal workstation.

Its nice to be able to crop or scale an image and know that I can go back to the image server to get the full resolution version if I need it.

Its also nice to know that a single hard drive failure is not going to wipe out my entire image collection.

Nice to hear that your story has a happy ending!
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 4:29 PM   #12

Thanks, Obscura. I never, ever open the images on the card while it is in the camera, I always transfer the photos to a new directory on my pc, usually using the select all/copy/paste method until I am sure I have the images without glitches. Then, if the images are really important, I burn them immediately onto a cd-rom before editing. I view them in Thumbsplus and then edit with PhotoShop 7. There are always other things to add to the cd-rom too since I do a lot of webpages and graphics and newsletters. I have not yet tested the faulty ImageMates. Never had a problem using the coolpix 800, but with the coolpix 950 this problem happened once before. Both cameras take very good photos in fine mode...but the 950 is faster in recovery between shots. All my flash cards are getting to be 3 or 4 years old and still seem to be doing well after shooting thousands of photos. In general, I wonder if there is a time when they max out? I prefer to use smaller flash cards because someone here mentioned a long time ago that if a big card goes bad, then you blow a lot of images.

I will be testing the flash cards by reformatting them first, then shooting some inconsequential images to see if the Sandisk Imagemates are the problem or if the 950 is the problem. I'll test the ImageMates using my 800 Coolpix camera too.

Must be nice to know how to do a macro/script to do all that you do in getting and archiving your images.

Thanks, again.
Elena
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 1:30 PM   #13

I thought I would windup this problem I'm having with the flash cards reading in ImageMate before moving the subject to another more applicable one...I reformatted all my cards, then I shot pics on two of them, one using the Nikon 800 and the other using the Nikon 950. The ImageMate card readers (I have two of them, usb port versions, one for each computer using Windows 2000 Pro) still only gave me a few pictures off each card. Then I tried the non-usb ImageMate I have in an old laptop using Windows 95. I got all the images that way. I sure am stymied as to what the problem could be...
it seems mighty strange that both Usb Imagemates would go bad at the same time under Windows2000 Pro. Any suggestions deeply appreciated.

Cheers, Elena
Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:09 PM   #14

remove the devices and drivers from your system. then reinstall them. this will eliminate that as the culprit. the readers are pretty generic so we go to the driver as a possible issue. it happens.

[Edited on 9-21-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:32 PM   #15

Before you reinstall the drivers, also check for updated versions on the company website and install the latest Win2K drivers.

All the troubleshooting work you have done points to an incompatibility with the OS and USB reader, so hopefully the issue is known and has been resolved in software drivers.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 3:42 PM   #16

Ok, guys, I removed the old ImageMate driver, and the directory and even deleted it from my recycle bin, then rebooted without the usb port connected, installed the most recent driver, then rebooted, then plugged in the ImageMate to the usb port (per directions) then inserted a card. Looked for the removable directory, none found, then I took out the card by using the "eject card" icon on the menu bar. Then I rebooted. Then reinserted the card. Then looked again, found the "removable drive" and clicked on it. Message was "Please insert card in (removable) drive D." I did that again. Still no images...got the same message, "please insert card, etc, etc."

I sure don't know what to do next except maybe buy another card reader, and I think I will try a different brand.

I have bothered you all enough! Many, many thanks for your suggestions. This is so frustrating and maddening though! And time consuming, ugh!

elena
Old Sep 21, 2002, 7:29 PM   #17

If you have a spare card, can the card reader see it to format? Does Win2K see the reader as a drive?

If you right click my computer, pick properties, select the hardware tab, and click device manager, does the card reader show under the usb devices and is there an exclamation or other error on the device?

Do you have a laptop or other device with a PC Card connection?

If you have access to a Windows 98SE machine, that may be an option to try with the reader, but moving pictures can be a problem without large drives, web storage, or a network.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 9:35 PM   #18

Jaseball, what I did was buy a PNY card reader today, 15.00 discounted at Best Buy. I just plugged it into the usb port. It worked fine, no problem, didn't even have to install the software that came with it since it said that I wouldn't have to if I was using w2k. I am beginning to think that maybe installing service pak 3 for my W2k OS or some of the recent critical updates are the culprits -- I did install those on both computers before leaving on vacation. I uninstalled ImageMate stuff on this computer. I will try your suggestions tomorrow on my other computer which still has ImageMate on it and see if your suggestions work. At least now I am able to get the images without having to boot up a laptop with Win95 which seems like a dinosaur compared to W2K. My computers are connected with an ethernet card, so I can transfer the images back and forth if necessary.

Cheers and thanks, Elena
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:43 PM   #19

I too have a Nikon 950 and used 2 - 128MB Sandisk cards. It seems that when I attempt to put too many pictures on the disc, they are not all available when I use the Nikon program (with the thumb nails option selected). However, if I do not use the thumb nails ALL of the images will download. Trouble is, I do not know if the fault is with the Sandisk cards or the Nikon program that downloads the photos. I asked Nikon about my problem and they suggested that perhaps I was NOT using a Nikon approved disc. But, I would suggest trying the direct download from the camera without using the thumbnail viewing option
glennsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 5:18 PM   #20

Could you possibly have a USB port going bad?
While one of the USB ports on my Dell Inspiron was
"going bad", I had a lot of erratic I/O errors when trying to
unload my Lexar CF card using its USB JumpShot reader.
I would see messages
similar to yours along the lines of "cannot find removable
drive". The problem wasn't with my card
since I could directly cable up
my camera (Nikon 4500) thru the other port
(serial??? I forget...) and unload the card just fine.
Good luck in solving your problem!
agblum is offline   Reply With Quote