Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 18, 2002, 1:25 AM   #1

Default Incorrect parameters with Nikon 950/Sandisk card

Just returned from a shoot using 4 Sandisk cards ranging from 40 to 64 mb. I used the Sandisk Imagemate to retrieve the images (select all/copy to a new directory in Windows 2000). All the cards show that I have lots of images but only a few on each card were viewable, the rest say "incorrect parameter." What do I need to do to retrieve the jpg images? I simply can't lose these photos, even if some are flawed. Can anyone explain what happened and can anyone please help me? I'd be ever so grateful.

Cheers, Elena
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2002, 2:11 AM   #2

Does the 950 have a download direct from the camera? Do you have a different card reader? Do all the cards have random errors or all at the same position, such as picture 003 is always bad?
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:12 AM   #3

I tried using two different usb port Sandisk card readers on two different computers. No luck. I have never tried taking the images directly from the camera. I haven't checked yet to see if the same numbered images are the ones I can see from each card. I will do that. Seems to me this happened to me a long time ago too and there was something someone told me to do to "rename" the images to a different ending...maybe "null" but I can't remember exactly what it was. Thanks for the reply...the size of the images are all 600 plus...shot all in FINE mode. They are there, but don't know how to retrieve them.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:38 AM   #4

I've got a 950 and a sandisk card and I've had good luck with the PCMCIA adapters. I've used'em with Windows and Linux and I've never had a problem. Both systems think the card is a little hard drive and I just copy the files where they need to go. The only thing you've got to remember with this system is to unmount the card before you eject it from the computer. I got my PCMCIA adapter at BestBuy and it was less than $10.

I think I paid $40 for a dual PCMCIA bay for my desktop machine. Laptop already had one.

Have you tried to use different software to open the images? If they won't open in Photoshop try the web browser or something like the Gimp or image magick.

Best of luck... let us know what happens.
Obscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:07 PM   #5

try the sample of this software. it is photo rescue. if they are attainable this will allow you to get them off the card. if the images show up it can be done. it bypasses the header that sound like its been sort of tweaked. if it can get them unforunately you will have to pay for the software to save them- $29. but then again you have it for the next time this happens or you fomat the card accidently. it will recover them. i have used it a few times due to formatting the card a little early. recovered every time. i think it work in this issue too. this program resides on my laptop and base unit in a place of honor for what it has done.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

after the recovery reformat the card and shoot a few then try to download again.

[Edited on 9-18-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:40 PM   #6

Thanks, all, for your comments on how to help me retrieve the images. I did check how each card did give me the images before the "incorrect parameters" prevented me from getting any more picss. Card 1 has 16 images that I retrieved ranging from numbers 221-236; card 2 has 14 images I retrieved, numbers from 314 to 327, card 3 gave me 11 images, numbered from 373-383, and card 4 gave me 11 images numbered from 423-433. All the cards show there are many more images. Before I try and buy the software that kindly sjms recommends, I'd love to know if there is any other way to retrieve the images.

Thanks for any other clues and help.

Cheers, Elena
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:51 PM   #7

Ok... I'm confused. Are the numbers you're getting for the number of images, filenames, etc coming from the camera or the software you're using to copy the images off the card?

If the camera is telling you there are sixty imates on the card and your software is only seeing ten the others might be in different directories (folders) on the card.

Are you able to mount the cards in question as hard drives on your computer? (using a pcmcia adapter or USB card reader)
Old Sep 18, 2002, 7:09 PM   #8

I found someone else who has had the same problem of a trashed CF card when using the CP 950...

http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/recover.htm
Old Sep 18, 2002, 8:17 PM   #9

There are 40 to 80 images on each card. They are there! All vary in size from 400 to 800 kbs. But I was able to get only 11-16 images per card of the 4 cards I have ranging from 40 to 64 mbs until I got the "incorrect parameter" message.
The ImageMate Compact Flash reader I use shows as a removable directory on my pc. All the images on the cards show up in only one directory on the card, the NIKON 100 directory.

Someone suggested that I run the dos prompt, do a chkdsk for the removable directory to restore or reconnect lost chains. And that if the images are there and retrievable it should create a new directory and that then all I would have to do is rename each file to a jpg. Alas, I got a FAT32 error message...in short, that method didn't work.

Thanks again, all...I guess it is PhotoRescue for me! Keep your fingers crossed that my luck has not run out...some of the images I got so far (was able to retrive) are fantastic of my weekend in Las Vegas for a class reunion, not only of people but all those spectacular glitzy resorts, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 8:50 PM   #10

Whew! I took the flash cards to a son's house to see if he could retrieve the images from each card. He could-he retrieved all of them! He is using an E-Film card reader that he bought in Ireland last year. So, what do you think? Are my two ImageMate usb readers bad? I have never had this problem using my Nikon Coolpix 800 digital camera with the ImageMates...

Blessings on all who tried to help with advice and suggestions...

Cheers, Elena