Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:50 PM   #1

Default Can coolpix5000 withstand minus 35 degrees celcius

Hi,
I need advice whether can coolpix5000 be able to withsstand temperature of minus 35 degress celcius for half an hour?

yowsiang
yowsiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by yowsiang
Hi,
I need advice whether can coolpix5000 be able to withsstand temperature of minus 35 degress celcius for half an hour?

yowsiang
My car battery won't last in such extremes.
Give me a break.
printer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:20 PM   #3

Default keep the battery in you pocket!!

that is way too cold for any lenth of time. I would keep the battery (multiple ones) in my pocket and warm. My concern would also be the motors on the cameras zoom could freeze, but if you can keep the camera warm until the time you use it and only for 1/2 hour my guess it will ok ... unless the lcd screen freezes to??
pbs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 12:13 AM   #4

the potential for the lubricant to coagulate and just turn rock hard is high. the inner moving components such as the focus rack/pinion gearing are plastic and may not take kindly to such brisk weather. a 1/2 hr out at -18c(0F) is nothing like -35c(-31F). exposed flesh has a good chance of freezing in about 2-3 minutes. so think of what might happen the lube. call nikon. let them advise you. they can be extremely helpfull.

[Edited on 9-20-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 5:43 AM   #5
NHL

yowsiang

Are you trying to use it in an environmental chamber? Getting in and out quickly before the camera temperature can stabilized is probably possible.

Getting out from a cold chamber is usually when the optics get fogged up from the inside! A consumer product is not designed for this temperature range...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 7:12 AM   #6

If the thirty 30 min time at tempiture and camera may be kept in small case when not shooting you can get chemical hand and foot warmers that you could keep in case so camera stays warm. Shot alot of video in 80's on ski slops with Hithachi video cam w/portable tape deck in back pack. under 20 f tape deck would shut off right away but if could get running then ok for short time. cam was a CMOS. worst fogging occured going indoors when warm moist air hit lens, sunglsses. Might be okay if just out for qick pics, know I wouldnot work if I was allowed to get that cold. Metal and plastic very brittle when cold saturated at that temp.
Gary

[Edited on 9-20-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:37 AM   #7

Buy an external battery pack such as the new Digipower DPS 9000 and keep it in your pocket, that is the best insurance you have under that shooting condition. This will guarantee the need power to operate the camera, if you use the internal battery, you will losse the power very quick, but I don't now how reliable and durable the camera is for this situation, this is a consumer digicam and it wasn't design to deal with the extreme situation when everything is freexze up arround you...cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote