Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:48 PM   #1

Folks. I have a nikon coolpix 885. I noticed on some pictures - night shots - I might have a red pixel in the same place on each picture while on the day picture there might be none. This is noticed on pics from a month or two ago. The camera is in excellent shape and has only been used 5 or six times since i bought it two years ago. WHat might be the problem?

THX

PS....should i say it looks like a little red rectangle so i assume it is a pixel....
lirogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Administrator

Here is a utility that will allow you to check for both hot and dead pixels.

http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm

Note that it is normal to have some hot pixels at longer exposures and higher ISO speeds.

However, the noise reduction algorithms can make these invisible if your exposure is too long (dark frame subtraction noise reduction kicks in on most newer model cameras for longer exposures).

Your Coolpix 885 engages this type of noise reduction on exposures 1 second or longer.

BTW,as a CCD ages,it's not uncommon for it to develop bad pixels. The manufacturer can also fix these (via a firmware remap) if desired (for a fee, if out of warranty).

If the problem is visible at faster (typical) shutter speeds, sometimes the manufacturer will replace the CCD. Other times, they just "remap" the bad pixel (interpolating the value from adjacent pixels).

Some camera models even have a feature built into the firmware to remap bad pixels when they occur (but Nikon does notlet users access the feature -- requires service from Nikon).

Unfortunately, CCD's are not perfect. You even see a fair number of complaints about bad pixels with brand new cameras

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 1:36 PM   #3

THX so much? How does this happen during such a short usage period/ 2 years and maybe 100-150 pictures total. What does it usually cost to do it - to fix it. Is it better to just go get a new camera? It shockes me that this happened at so young a usage period.

THX
Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:47 PM   #4

My daughterbought a new885 several years ago and hashad pixel issues from day one. Not too many and not enough for Nikon to warrant a repair but aggrevating none the less. Mostly red and green, she might get one or evenfive at the same time but never in the same spots. Didn't matter if it was a day shot or nighttime shot. I did some research shortly after shetold me about thisand, if memory serves me, found a number of similar complaints all involving the 885. She is still using the camera to date and still has the problem although it hasn't gotten any worse.

When she wants something printed or to send to someone over the net, I"correct" the situation in Photoshop and no one except us is the wiser. Never having experienced this problem with the 880 I owned at the time, I though it was a defect that Nikon needed to correct. However, the policy as I understand it seems to be warranty only if 8 or more pixels are dead consistantly (and not just with Nikon). I always felt guilty because I had had such good luck with my 880 that I was the one who recommendedthe camera but the 885 had come out replacing the 880 so that's what she bought. BTW, I now use an 8700 butstill have the 880 and it works perfectly, no pixel problems.

That's my personal experience with the 885. I also agree with everything in Jim's post and as far as repairing the problem, that's an issue for you and your pocketbook becauseI doubtNikon is going to fix a two+ year old camera for free. It wouldn't hurtyou to contact Nikon and ask them what itmight cost to have the camera looked at. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise you and fix it for a minimal fee.

Gampa
gampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:58 AM   #5

Thx much for the answer and help. It is one pixel in the same place. I have emailed Nikon tech and they talk in circles and finally say it happens - even in new out of the box cameras. I have called Nikon tech and they say we have no answer. I will call service and find out an average price. Tech seems to have no answer other than 'I dunno' what the fix would be or even what would cause it. Send it in and we will see! That is an embarrassing series of answers from one of the premiere camera makers out there. THx for the help gampa.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:10 PM   #6
Administrator

This problem is not unique to Nikon. Keep in mind that most Nikondigicams are using Sony CCD's. Sony is the largest supplier of the CCD's using in Digital Cameras. You'll find the same CCD in the 885, used in many othercameras.Most of the major manufacturers of digicams (Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, etc.) use Sony CCD's in some of their products.

There are other manufacturers of CCD's used in consumer cameras, too (for example: Panasonic and Sharp). However, Sony is the largest supplier to digicam manufacturers.

Note that Fuji and Kodak usually make their own for most of their consumer grade cameras.

Added:

BTW, Bryan Biggers has a good article with facts about hot pixels here:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ot_pixels.html#

Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:55 PM   #7

THX again for the info. Nikon has finally asked to see a few pics. I emailed to them. It is shame this can happen. How to tell if a CCD is a sony brand ??? as I clearly do not want this happening to any new camera I purchase after 100-200 pics!!! I actually did not see the dot. SOmeone recently brought it to my attention but I do feel terrible for anyone just out of warranty to have this happen. The good thing is it is one pixel and can be fixed with an adobe program...(according to Nikon)...but I did not bargain for it so early in the camera life. I have an SLR from Canon which is ancient and an autofocus samsung one is 20 + years old and the other is 10+ and nary a problem. But I guess this is living in the digital age.

I am definitely curious how to avoid and determine which cameras carry the sony ccd.

Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:37 PM   #8
Administrator

It's not just the Sony CCD's. All of them have the same types of issues. Heck, the problems in some of the other CCD's that have entered the market, make you appreciate the qualty of Sony CCD's more.

I can remember when Olympus was trying to make their own CCD's for some models (for example the C-2500L andE10). Well, due to the extremely high problem rate (stuck pixels), they "gave up", and went back to Sony CCD's in the E20. Note that their less expensive models were already using Sony CCD's (as do most manufacturers digicams).

I was just pointing out that it's really not Nikons fault. You'llseethe same types of problems in virtually all digital cameras.

Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:37 AM   #9

I had taken about 1200 pics before two pixels got stuck. Sent for repairs.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 3:04 AM   #10

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
I had taken about 1200 pics before two pixels got stuck. Sent for repairs.
Please let us know later how much it costs to get your camera fixed up.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote