Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 22, 2002, 4:40 PM   #1

Default Nikon 4500 for Novice

Is the 4500 intuitive enough for a novice to use? Fully understand will not be using many of the functions for a while, maybe never. But really like the 4X zoom, swivel design, and expecially the Nikon colors. Do not mind spending for the 4500. Will the auto mode, and especially scene modes be useable and easy enough to get great results? Mostly people and vacation pictures.
mulifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2002, 4:46 PM   #2

Default Mostly!

I had the 800 then the 990 for about a year and I'm pretty into the features so I might not be your best source of info, but my wife is not a camera person and she (with a smidge of coaching - half shutter press, etc) got into using it just fine.

The Full Auto is pretty painless, and the modes are what they describe so they're useful too.

I love the size and power of this camera so I recommend it highly - with the caveat of the low light focus issues it has.
CheapBastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 5:56 PM   #3

The 4500 is very intuitive. The hardest part for me was learning to switch function modes from AF to manual to others, which is how you access different menus on the 4500.

This camera is as close to what I was hoping for in a digital camera as can be expected because it offers me the 4mp, 4x optical, swivel, Nikon optics, pre set shooting modes, and delivers incredible results.

The AF is point and shoot and works just like point and shoot cameras.

Even full manual mode is fun after you are comfortable and want to read up on what everything means. I have found this allows me the flexibility to get great results when a pre set or AF mode shot looks strange.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:49 PM   #4

Thanks folks. Just a follow up......is the low light ability really that poor on the 4500? And if so, does it apply only to Autofocus mode, or is it also poor in some of the scene modes? How is the users manual, is it realatively easy to follow if one is not an experienced photographer or techy?
mulifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 8:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by mulifat
...is the low light ability really that poor on the 4500? And if so, does it apply only to Autofocus mode, or is it also poor in some of the scene modes? How is the users manual, is it realatively easy to follow if one is not an experienced photographer or techy?
I've found that the low light focus is unpredicable and not very good. That is to say there are times (not infrequently) that the camera can't seem to get focus, but if you keep trying it seems that it will get focus other times under similar conditions. I've not really used the scene modes all that often, but it seems folks are saying that it is the a drawback of this camera, not just a mode limitation.

I found the manual to be very easy to follow, but again, I am fairly familiar with the CoolPix line.
CheapBastid is offline   Reply With Quote