Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:06 AM   #1

Seriously considering buying the new Nikon Coolpix 5200 as a portable point and shoot. Have read Steve's review and various other reviews - all seem favourable.

Anyone have any useful comments to add? Any problems or"cons" with this camera?

Lee
Lee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:46 PM   #2

Great ergonomics, but look at the forum in dpreview. Many people complain about that the pictures are not sharp.

A German review in "CT" noted that it had problems with sharpness, and is not 5MP resulution.

DCResource says the same: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ix5200-review/

Take a zoomed look at Steves picture samples for the 5200. Compare it to Steves samples of the Canon S60.The S60 is much sharper.

At www.pbase.com there are some nice pictures from the 5200, but often lacking sharpness in depth. The canon S60, which also have manual settings, is represented with much sharper pictures.

From surfing around my conclusion is that the picture quality of the 5200 is rather average. Compared to the price and expectations that not enough.

Erl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:57 PM   #3

I've been playing with mine for two weeks, and I'm rather satisfied. Pictures are fine for me, and I love it's macro mode. It's tiny too.

Now I could come up with things to complain about. There are many things that I wish it had/could do, but those are all things available on prosumer/SLR cameras. As a point as shoot camera (which is why I bought it) I am quite happy.

I also have played around with the Sony DSC-T1. The T1's screen is nicer (but it's what... 2.5"?), and I like Sony's menu system better, but these are all nitpicks.

I like my 5200. I'm glad I bought it. I looked for quite a while and didn't find any other cameras on the market that I liked better for a point and shoot camera.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them.
MBCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:07 AM   #4

Many thanks to both of you for the above replies. I guess that's the conclusion I'd sort of come to. Gret point and shoot (small, etc) - which is what I'm after - but soft images.

I was/ am also considering the Canon Elph S500 but thought the shutter lag may be a problem here(?????). Comparing the photo sample on Steve's pages, the Canon's are definately much sharper. I did read in some discussion strings though that the Coolpix 5200 has a "sharpen" option that, if used, will give comparable results. One user was at first a little disapointed with the soft images but then grew to like the shrper ones when using this option.

Any comments on this MBCook? (Will also take a look at the S60 now.)

Thanks - Lee
Lee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:34 PM   #5

I haven't messed around with the sharpen option, but I ought to try it I guess. Like I said the images seem very comparable to the Sony DSC-T1 my mother has. I've never messed with a Digital Elph, so I can't comment on that.
MBCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:16 AM   #6

I have had mine for about 2 weeks, too. I bought it as a simple point and shoot camera. I already have an Olympus 3030 with manual controls, etc., and though I love the camera, I'm too stupid to figure out how to do all the stuff it can do. So I wanted something small, simple and ready to go when I was. And the Nikon fits that criteria.

I've haven't taken a ton of pictures but the few I've taken have been sharp enough for me. I'm not sure what the complaint on that is. I will comment that on my people pictures, the one I took of my nephew, his lips look like he is wearing lipstick. But that could very well be the printer (Shutterfly) and not the camera itself.

For what I bought it for I'm very pleased. The other thing that made me go with the Nikon is that there is an underwater case availabe for it. I don't know about the others, but in my preliminary research I wasn't finding underwater cases for under $500. The underwater case for the Nikon is $299, which is still spendy. But I want a camera I can take with me to the beach, etc.

I'm pleased with mine, and since it now fits in my purse I find myself taking pictures again. The Olympus had become a little too bulky. We went to Disney and I only took 10 pictures because it was just a pain to drag the bulky camera along. I wish I had had the Nikon on that trip.

I know this post isn't terribly helpful from a technical aspect, but I'm a happy consumer with my Nikon 5200 (so far).
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:00 AM   #7

I went through this same confusing process when looking for a compact. I had the opportunity to do a direct comparison of the W-1, CP5200 and the S410/s500. The W-1 has some very definite issues in low light.... After careful comparison of the CP 5200 and the Elphs........both on a monitor and in actual prints.........the Elphs delivered sharper pics for me. I read tons about "shutter lag" etc. prior to this.......but after having had a s410 for a good while, I must say that it has not been a problem. I drag this puppy EVERY place. Form factor was the BIG issue because "a go everywhere, all the time" camera was the object of this exercise. I have not been disappointed.

The complaint of not enough manual control on a tiny camera is a fact. However, there are indeed many manual settings such that if you read the instruction book and experiment with your camera, you will find lots of ways to deal with unusual situations. However, ... with these small cameras, most people want to be able to whip it out and catch the moment.

The CP 5200 is a really nice feeling camera. I did however find the image quality to be inferior to the Elph series...if that is important to you.
Elphie is offline   Reply With Quote