Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:52 PM   #11

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
In the pictures of the musicians and the house, you are looking at a picture of a poster. For more analysis of these pictues (i.e. what the photographer thought of each one), you can go to the review of that camera at that website and click down into a full analysis. There the picture of the house is done both with the poster and with the actual house. I like to start with the link I gave, but then go into the review to get the full analysis of the cameras I am still considering.
I do currently own this camera now, but am still debating if I will keep it. I really like its looks, its very small, and the LCD is very sharp with nice menu graphics.

I've found though that I get better pictures just using the auto mode, then I do using one of the "scene" modes. My other camera is a Nikon 950 which I like very much, it's just that I don't like its size.

It seems every camera has its negatives, and just about all of them seem to take poor low light shots (without using a tripod).

I'm debating if its worth the money to keep the camera mainly for its size, over my Nikon 950.
tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:38 PM   #12

Beverly,

I just wanted to comment about the purple lines in the videos. I noticed that too whenever I aimed the camera at a light bulb, while in video mode, I would get laser beams across the screen.

Then I tried it on the Canon S1, and it does the exact same thing. So I guess its normal.

I'm still trying out the Canon S1, but some of the pictures I have taken, the Nikon 3700 came out sharper. But I have to try it a lot more.

Also with a 256meg card I could get 3min 48sec, of his res video on the Nikon, and on the Canon it appears to be less than 3minutes.

One reason I like the S1 is because of its 10x zoom.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:53 PM   #13

I've had the 3700 (AU$500) for a month now – still deciding whether or not to keep it, or go for the Sony DSC-P100 (AU$750).

My must haves are:

- good image quality

- small enough to take anywhere

- 640/30fps movie mode
- fast start up and AF/shutter times

I think the Nikon is a well thought out and well executed as a point-and-shoot aiming at the family market. I want a camera that everyone can and does use. I'll keep myself entertained using the old manual SLR when needed. The 3700 is light, small, and a breeze to use. The image quality is good, if you work within its (typical) low-light limitations etc. Macro mode is really good.

My main complaint is the movie mode sync problem (see my post elsewhere in this forum). I'm moderately hopeful that the Panasonic 80x card I have on order will fix the problem.

I was at a camera store when a guy walk in with a dropped digicam, which was as a result not working. Response: "Sorry, rarely worth fixing." It's hard enough handing the kid's a $500 camera…$750 is getting crazy. But the Sony does have good manual controls and 5 megapixels…happy choosing…or rather, happy choice :-)

Mark

MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:35 AM   #14

I also considered changing to the Sony P100 or even the new P150, but did not like how the wide angle started at 38mm. I think I will just stick to my 3700 since I have found solutions to my various problems with this camera. Those solutions are:
1. Using a high speed card and then adjusting the audio tape if I think it is not in synch.
2. Using a polarizer filter to get rid of discoloration lines (pink, purple or yellow) when taping any high light contrast movies. I attach a filter holder to the camera using the tripod mount threads. I got a linear polarizer, but am going to return it for a circular one since the forums say that most digital cameras have focusing problems using the linear ones (Nikon will only say that this camera does not support filters and that their cameras that do support filters require a circular filter).

Mark, if you decide on the Sony DSC-P100 please note that over at dpreview the forums talk about some P100 cameras having a huge number of blurred pictures (1 in 5) and that you might need to keep returning cameras until you find one that does not have this problem. Others say that the blurring is only at telephoto on auto mode. Still others say they don't have any problem that can't be explained as camera shake blurring problems.

Also Sony recently announced that they were extending the warranty on the F828, T1 and year 2004 P73, P93 and P100 to be one year parts and labor (had been 1 year parts, 90 days labor). I can see two reasons for this. First idea: they are very confident in their product and are trying to bring their warranty more in line with other cameras. Second idea: they are having so much trouble with the focus issue that they feel they have to extend the warranty to cover a production problem.

Another thing to keep in mind when posting to this forum. If you use a yellow font, those that have their preferences set to default will not be able to read it (yellow on white) without first changing their settings. Second try to avoid using contractions since the apostrophe is coming through as four symbols (very confusing to read until you get use to substituting symbols with various punction marks to figure out what is really to be typed).
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:25 AM   #15

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the comments on the P100 - interesting. I agree that 38mm is frustratingly non-wide angle. I've been spoilt with a 28-200mm lens on the SLR (even still at times wanting for 24mm or less).

I'll avoid pasting from Word - that's the source of the non-standard characters.

Cheers,
Mark

MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:56 AM   #16

the sound lag dissapeared at my camera after i changed the additional 256 MB sandisk SD card to the included 16 MB card and reformated it recorded a movie then changed back to the 256 MB reformated
all this made on the firmware 1.1
i am satisfied with the camera you can see some of my pictures at

http://www.fotoaparat.cz/index.php?r...galvis=1146238
theruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:14 PM   #17

theruck wrote:
Quote:
the sound lag dissapeared at my camera after i changed the additional 256 MB sandisk SD card to the included 16 MB card and reformated it recorded a movie then changed back to the 256 MB reformated
all this made on the firmware 1.1
i am satisfied with the camera you can see some of my pictures at

http://www.fotoaparat.cz/index.php?r...galvis=1146238
Those are some very nice pictures. Unfortunetly the Nikon 3700 doesn't get the recognition it deserves, compared to other cameras. I owned it for a while but returned it because I wanted the 10x zoom in the Canon S1. But definitely would have kept the Nikon 3700 otherwise.