Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1

Hello !

I'm going to purchase the nikon coolpix 3700 since every salesperson told me that the nikon lens are superior to Sony lens (the sony dsc-p73 was my other choice). They are the same price here in Canada (no 100$ rebate unfortunately).

I'vereadmany reviews of this camera and would greatly appreciate your comments on this model concerning the following issues:

- Are you satisfied with picture quality (espacialy in low light ?). The fact that it's limited to iso200, should I opt for the sony instead for flexibility ?

- Did anyone not have a problem with sync between audio and sound in movie mode?

- Are the 15 scences useful ?(I'm a nebie I'm counting on this) or is it just a marketing ploy?

Any other major issues ?

Thank you very much in advance !

David

replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2004, 2:13 PM   #2

How you use a camera will make a big difference on what camera is right for you. I own the Nikon Coolpix 3700, but am shopping around again and don't like any of the current cameras on the market (however holding out hope for good reviews on some newly announced cameras like the Fujifilm Finepix E550). For me small size is extremely important so I can carry the camera with me all the time. There are lots of great cameras if size or if high quality pictures AND video is not very important to you. That said, here is what I find wrong with each of the cameras you listed.

Sony DSC-P73:
*lense is 39-117mm range. This makes it impossible to take group pictures indoors (really only portrait pictures for inside photos). I look for 35mm minimum. However you can add lenses to this camera to change the range (more to carry and mess with) to get around this
*Steve's review says there is purple fringing in the pictures and also moderate barrel distortion in wide angle - both things to avoid
*zoom is not continous

Nikon Coolpix 3700:
*no lense threads to allow additional lenses or filters (I have since found a filter holder that attaches to the camera using the tripod mount threads)
*can have some minor purple fringing in pictures
*some barrel distortion in wide angle
*sometimes grainy pictures (noise) in lower light situations
*bad audio lag in 640 x 480 30fps movie mode unless you get a high speed card. With high speed card I think but am not convinced that the lag disappears
*can get discoloration lines (pink, purple or yellow) in movies if have areas of bright light (sunlight or fireworks) next to something dark - sometimes minor and other times extreme (my worse case 1/3 of image when forced to shoot into sunlight or not get the video at all). I have since found that you can eliminate or greatly reduce this problem using a circular polarizer filter (holder attaching to tripod mount)
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your input Beverly !

I greatly appreciate it. I know there isn't a perfect camera out there but I really want to make the right decision considerating the cost of such a device. Like I said, I'm looking for something small,easy to carry in a shirt pocket withgood shutter speed, easy to use and most importantly, very good picture quality (in low light too). I know I'm asking a lot

After reading your message, I think I will pass on the Nikon3700 because I'm thinking of taking many pictures indoor (thus need good low light performances). I thought the 15 available scenes would be a bighelp for a newbie like me but I guess the nikon 3700 really is for best suited for outdoor use (with good lighting).

The Sony seems to be the right choice at the moment. The Canon SD110 would be perfect but it only has only a 2x zoom

The pentax optio s4 is interesting but suffers from noise problem also.

As for the Fujifilm Finepix E550, I probably couldn't afford it. Thanks again
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:53 AM   #4

I'm also still looking into he nikon 3700 and have found alot of people are very hapy with it. You can look at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NikonCoolpix3700/

where you'll find lots of sample pics.

Good luck!

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:48 PM   #5

Hi ed33 !

Thanks a lot ! I have to say that the pictures on steve's website give a better idea.

I bought the sony dsc-p73 but I thought that the pictures lack detail and the camera is a bit too big for my taste. I have 30 days to exchange it for another model. Now, I just added the pentax optio s4to my list. The nikon would have been a great choice but here in Canada we don't have the 100$ rebate so it's less interesting.

I found this link (very good pictures taken with the nikon 3700):

http://www.belgiumdigital.be/albums/nikon3700/test/

Thanks !

David
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:26 PM   #6

I really would try to find a camera that has a wider angle than the Sony dsc-p73 range unless you plan on adding a wide angle lense any time you want to take an inside picture that is more than just a portrait. That 39mm starting range is just too limiting. If I had to choice between JUST these two cameras I would still go with the Nikon 3700 dispite the problems I listed - I just know the problems better since they are first hand.

Here is a extremely good website to compare pictures side by side of any two cameras you are considering.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM

This site has both carefully controlled studio shots, less controlled people shots, and pictures of a picture (house and musicians). It will also show you how bad any barrel distortion is (something both of these cameras have trouble with).

I can't remember right now all the camera that fit your requirements just listed, but Canon has a lot of very good, very small cameras.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:10 AM   #7

I recently purchased the Nikon 3700. I bought it because of its unique movie abilities (640x480 at 30 fps for as many seconds as you have memory). My previous camera was the Canon S230, which was unfortunately stolen out of my checked luggage (kudos to US Air for reimbursing me). The Nikon is nice and small, though it doesn't balance in my hand as well as the Canon did. I also miss having the zoom control at the tip of my index finger. It's less convenient to use my right thumb to control zoom. I feel like I'm getting more unfocused shots than I did with the Canon. Maybe I'm not paying attention to the focus lock. Sadly, I've been unable to eliminate the sound lag when shooting at 640x480, 30 fps. I have a 256 MB SimpleTech ProX card (see http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...69&forum_id=21 on this site).

-Dave
dbrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:41 AM   #8

Wow thank you all for this very insightful information.

I greatly appreciate it !

Old Aug 14, 2004, 8:07 PM   #9

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
I really would try to find a camera that has a wider angle than the Sony dsc-p73 range unless you plan on adding a wide angle lense any time you want to take an inside picture that is more than just a portrait. That 39mm starting range is just too limiting. If I had to choice between JUST these two cameras I would still go with the Nikon 3700 dispite the problems I listed - I just know the problems better since they are first hand.

Here is a extremely good website to compare pictures side by side of any two cameras you are considering.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CDISPLAY.HTM

This site has both carefully controlled studio shots, less controlled people shots, and pictures of a picture (house and musicians). It will also show you how bad any barrel distortion is (something both of these cameras have trouble with).
That is a nice webpage for a comparison. One thing that seems strange though is that in the house pictures, from what I looked at, EVERY house picture has exactly the same flowers and house shadows in the exact same spot. Or am I missing something? How could every picture have the exact same shadows.
tc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 2:11 AM   #10

In the pictures of the musicians and the house, you are looking at a picture of a poster. For more analysis of these pictues (i.e. what the photographer thought of each one), you can go to the review of that camera at that website and click down into a full analysis. There the picture of the house is done both with the poster and with the actual house. I like to start with the link I gave, but then go into the review to get the full analysis of the cameras I am still considering.